League Cup draw, Sheff Wed home

Didn't we play them a few years ago in a cup game? I seem to remember going away to their gaff...We virtually took over all the pubs around the ground...was pretty drunk so my memory is hazy...did we draw 0-0 or 1-1?

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Didn't we play them a few years ago in a cup game? I seem to remember going away to their gaff...We virtually took over all the pubs around the ground...was pretty drunk so my memory is hazy...did we draw 0-0 or 1-1?

Dunno about you taking over the pubs around the grounds but you brought 6k, was a decent tie too.

lancs blue said:
cityboy5 said:
Blue Streak said:
I must be one of the few City fans who hasn't much time for Sheffield Wednesday going off the reactions on this thread, I've always found Blades fans to be a much nicer breed of people. I worked at Sheffield Wednesday twice in the 1990's. Firstly installing seats in the Main Stand and then the Kop. The reactions of Wednesday fans on discovering who I supported was always 'Oh so you support City, that's like supporting United in Sheffield. the smaller club in the city' They really had an arrogance about them that I found hard to understand. Around the same time I worked at St James Park (during the Keegan boom years) and found the Geordies to be very much like City fans were/are. Quite humble and always expecting the worse to happen. Having said all that it's a great draw and assuming City keep prices at a decent level could be a great night/atmosphere as they will bring a great support.
I prefer the Blades too

+1

I worked in Sheffield for quite a while and have friends in both camps but the Blades always struck me as the more likeable club. Yes they have the boneheads of the BBC but too many Wednesday fans are up their own arses IMO.
Agree with every word.
Altho one of my best mates is an owl, and I have bumped into the bbc, still got a preference for the, more grounded set of fans ( who don't shout the odds so much) ) at Bramhall Lane.

would have preferred an away cup tie at the lane.

Lots of Wednesday supporting friends who are getting well giddy for this game already. I keep telling them I won't be going as its not worth the effort... these guys are too easy to wind up!

Walkley_owl said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

Dunno about you taking over the pubs around the grounds but you brought 6k, was a decent tie too.

I went in the bluebell?blueboar? I think it was that day, and to be fair there wasn,t many City in there IIRC, altho many of our lot would have congregated around the north side of the ground as per usual. I attended late, from the south, and had two quiet pints on my own.

Had some belting days out in the early 90s I think in the Uve Rosler days with some of the most incredible away atmospheres ive ever experienced - we weren't very good in those days( although we,ve been a lot worse!!!) but the passion amongst our loyal fans was top drawer.
Happy days.

The cup tie mentioned above was a decent game-although all I can recall was Micha Richards playing centre midfield for us ands having a bit of an incident with one of your lads which resulted in Micah throwing him to the ground like a rag doll...he was around 18 yrs old IIRC- strong lad our Micah

Enjoy your trip to the Etihad( otherwise known to visiting teams as THE ABBATOIR.

Last time we played Sheffield Wednesday was in the dark days of Stuart Pearce, 3rd round of the FA Cup, needed a replay to beat them as well, having drawn 1-1 at Hillsbrough (thanks to a gorgeous George penalty if memory serves). I believe Ousmane Dabo may well have been voted MOTM that day, Christ how things have change quickly for us!

Lets hope it's more like our last league matches with them, when we were promoted under Keegan from the Championship. Pretty sure we battered them twice that season, we certainly won 6-2 at their place, and I'm sure we put a fair few past them at Maine Road too.

Lived in Sheffield (near Bramall lane) for the last three years because of uni, Just wish it would have been an away tie - Its Freshers week!

Sorry to slightly go off topic but could somebody tell me at which points level the cup final sold out at against Sunderland?

Cheers in advance

I hope Sheffield Wednesday come back up, big ground great set of supporters, not too far to travel, big away end. Hope the other Sheffield team cup up too for similar reasons but if I had to chose I would pick Wednesday over u.....d !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.