Leeds United (A) | Post Match Thread

That control that we once had seems to have disappeared this season. I’m not sure why.
We are passing backwards more from high up the pitch in wide areas, so we aren’t pinning teams back as much with constant possession in the final third.

We’re having a lot of possession in midfield rather than high up.

Far too much passing backwards from wide and having to start attacks again from deep this season. Watch Grealish in the first half - Gundogan was on about half a dozen times for a first-time inside ball yet he never played that pass once (don’t think he’s got that in his locker) and he took a touch, then another, then got closed down and while he kept possession by either passing backwards or dribbling infield and passing backwards or by winning a free kick (which slows down our game and fragments our play), we aren’t getting those sharp positive incisive passes moving the ball upfield quickly enough.

We also seem to get overexcited at times with Haaland making runs and overhit, underhit or mishit through balls to him very often. So we are losing possession too easily more when trying to feed the beast instead of taking our time and playing the right pass. de Bruyne was even guilty of that a number of times, one of them in the first half he fucking wellied at Haaland who couldn’t have controlled that if he was Messi.

Last season we had Foden or Jesus dropping deep and having runners go beyond them so these passes are more concentrated and more successful, whereas this season it’s longer through balls to the big man and they’re less successful.

Then when we are needing to win the ball up high more because we are losing it more in those situations - a front three of Grealish Haaland and Mahrez is a poor unit for pressing and winning the ball up high compared to Foden Jesus and Sterling, for example.

I think we’ll be at our best and have more control in the final third with Foden Alvarez and Bernardo playing around Haaland.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Palmer came on, he certainly looked more of an attacking threat than Mahrez...
When you watch the game back, watch Mahrez in the first half; he laid plenty on a plate for Grealish and Haaland and they both let him down with unacceptable finishing.

Mahrez did fade in the second half but he was very good first half.

Average performance overall but a decent result

we looked far too casual in the second half for my liking especially after conceding the first. The game management is sometimes lacking and playing the situation in frontof you just isn’t there

we take too many risks at the back when not needed , surely a more conservative approach to see put the game would work

this bit us on the arse against Real Madrid last season and I could see the same unfolding last night.

Play the percentage ball down the channel rather than looking for a risky square ball into midfield

basics of football as a great man once said

Last edited:
Average performance overall but a decent result

we looked far too casual in the second half for my liking especially after conceding the second. The game management is sometimes lacking and playing the situation in frontof you just isn’t there

we take too many risks at the back when not needed , surely a more conservative approach to see put the game would work

this bit us on the arse against Real Madrid last season and I could see the same unfolding last night.

Play the percentage ball down the channel rather than looking for a risky square ball into midfield

basics of football as a great man once said
Conceding the second? Not on my telly we didn't.

That concourse in the upper tier isn't fit for purpose and its fucking dangerous
I got in at around 7:30 and loads of blues were going mad at the stewards as they just kept letting everyone in at the turnstiles but no one was moving forward upstairs which led to a crush.

Agree with you though the stand needs a re design.

Overall a good performance and the main thing is, we got 3 points. Thought the defence tired a little towards the end and got a little bit sloppy but other than that, I am a very happy Blue. I think that some on here forget that the Premier League is certainly one of the best in the World. Ok, Leeds may not be the best of teams this year, but there are no easy games. As we have already seen, teams like Brentford and Leeds have already taken points when not expected!
Young Lewis and KDB were magnificent and let’s be honest Erling should have scored another hat trick, not that I am complaining he only got 2
Our support from the travelling Blues was fantastic last night and I just hope that we can all create a good atmosphere for the team on Saturday.

Very surprised to see so much negativity on here after getting home last night.

For 70 minutes, we were brilliant and could have been 7 or 8 up. We've created 6 clear opportunities in the 1st half and didn't let Leeds get a sniff.
Just watched the full match. Spot on.

I got in at around 7:30 and loads of blues were going mad at the stewards as they just kept letting everyone in at the turnstiles but no one was moving forward upstairs which led to a crush.

Agree with you though the stand needs a re design.
They have plans to redesign Elland Road and increase capacity by around 20,000. They just haven’t been approved yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.