Leicester City to spend millions

FoxesFan said:
This news has come as a bit of a surprise to us City fans because it is almost the opposite how we have been doing things currently, Vichai is the man with all of the money but his son Top seemingly runs the club, they've been great owners so far having cleared the debt, buying the stadium, upgrading the training ground and rightly sticking with Pearson when almost everybody thought he'd get sacked. The let Pearson sort out the disaster that was Sven's reign by shipping out the overpaid dross that were bad apples so 'big spending Leicester' is a myth having spent little more than £400k this year.
Anyway back to the Thais, for the most part they've stayed very quiet and only said the right things at the right time so this is a little alarming that Vichai has said this but they are patient and measured so I'm sure this is just sensationalised news as usual.

Oh and congratulations on winning the league!
Welcome to the PL. Good to have you back. I have to say that there looked to be a huge gulf between us and you when we played you in the League Cup but I guess you're not expecting to be chasing a CL place. Although you never know!

FoxesFan said:
This news has come as a bit of a surprise to us City fans because it is almost the opposite how we have been doing things currently, Vichai is the man with all of the money but his son Top seemingly runs the club, they've been great owners so far having cleared the debt, buying the stadium, upgrading the training ground and rightly sticking with Pearson when almost everybody thought he'd get sacked. The let Pearson sort out the disaster that was Sven's reign by shipping out the overpaid dross that were bad apples so 'big spending Leicester' is a myth having spent little more than £400k this year.
Anyway back to the Thais, for the most part they've stayed very quiet and only said the right things at the right time so this is a little alarming that Vichai has said this but they are patient and measured so I'm sure this is just sensationalised news as usual.

Hope you stick with Chris Wood, he's done his time in the championship and deserves a shot in the prem

Congratulations on the championship title and promotion mate and best of luck for the year ahead!
FoxesFan said:

uweuweuwe said:
Do you think someone should tell him not to bother, as this isn't the correct way you should aim for success and that he should go down the route of dippers, arse and rags and build success via your youth academy.

Think someone should pass this article on to Uefa so they can nip it in the bud. Can't have another English team threatening Europe elite can we.
Although judging by his size these think Platini maybe open to a supply of crisps to turn a blind eye.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27387616

Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner wants a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there. The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence. Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."

Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.

"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step. Nigel Pearson's side collected 102 points on their way to landing the Championship title. And the manager shares his chairman's optimism.
"The important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.

"It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five. But, of course, one step at the time."
Leicester have qualified for Europe three times, most recently as the 2000 League Cup winners. They went out of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 on aggregate to Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.
Srivaddhanaprabha's consortium took over at Leicester in 2010

3106921_700b.jpg

I think he is underestimating how much it will take to achieve a CL place by a long way (as do most on here). 180m should be enough to to get a squad capable and confident of mid table finishes, maybe looking at Europa league places at a push. Getting to the CL spots is another ball game, unless extremely lucky with signings you are looking at another £200m at least on top of the £180m, and that's if every signing works out with no bad buys in the mix............

The problem they will have is the same as QPR last season. Very few 'established' PL or even foreign players of the standard required want to take a punt on a recently promoted team so he could end up with a bunch of over-paid journeymen or PL players who can't get 1st team action with their current clubs (for good reason usually).

Also, their wage structure will be bolloxed for a few seasons as the players getting promoted will be seeing other players coming in on mega salaries which isn't good for team bonding..........

Someone like Lescott would be ideal for them on a free but it is more likely an established club like Villa will come in for him and Joleon will go there unless offered a serious wedge (May still be worth offering him a big contract on a free though). Their best bet would be to scan the relegated clubs and try to cherry pick a couple of players, although other clubs will be doing that anyway. Not too many as there is a reason they were relegated.

Best of luck to them, key thing is to stay up and cement a decent PL position for a few seasons and then kick on, something no club has done since us and Chelsea who had huge investments to get where are.

Prestwich_Blue said:
FoxesFan said:

Welcome to the PL. Good to have you back. I have to say that there looked to be a huge gulf between us and you when we played you in the League Cup but I guess you're not expecting to be chasing a CL place. Although you never know!

Well we were playing with 5 players in team we'd consider reserves, not the greatest tactic against the best team in the land... but there you go!! ha.

The English media aren't really reporting what was actually said by the owners over in thailand. It's all not quite so "Vincent Tan" as it first looks.

“My goal is for Leicester to stay in the Premier League as long as possible. We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years and then my next goal will be taking the team to the top five... It will be a difficult task but we have to try to do it.” Lots of other quotes about "one step at a time" etc all omitted by the media over here.

was staying in the same hotel as them 2 nights ago and was chatting to them in the bar and also in the airport
good bunch of guys and owner has his heart in the right place

last I saw the players they were laden down with duty free the Prada stores too a sair one

So in future, our title rivals will be Leicester City and Chelsea with the Rags and Dippers nowhere. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for all the good luck messages!

We're rumoured to have a wage cap of £30,000 a week so that rules Lescott, Rodwell and Richards out haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.