Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
If you want loyalty buy a dog.
Kompany was very close to signing for them last Summer. If Mancini had stayed he would have done.
The days of Mike Doyle are long gone. Players look after number one and so do the clubs.
We showed Gareth Barry a lot of gratitude in the last year of his contract, didn't we?
Didn't happen !

It's getting better.......

Messi's patience ran out ahead of Wednesday's Spanish Cup final against Real. A fan relentlessly harassed the Argentine at Barcelona airport and the striker ended up calling him "an idiot" before telling him to "sod off".

ForzaMancini said:
Giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding your source, if Kompany felt he couldn't play under Mancini anymore then why is it disloyal if he wanted to leave? The fact a change in manager made him stay proves he never wanted to leave but may have felt he had to.

A valid point. I think the manager was the key to all this. I think he is actually quite happy at the club and would have been
reluctant to leave not least because his wife is local. I guess it all depends on how you look at loyalty / disloyalty. I was
accused of having "no sense of loyalty and not showing gratitude for loyalty" by another poster for suggested Kompany
might be allowed to leave. Personally I don't feel we should be grateful for his loyalty when he was considering
leaving, even though the club wanted him to stay and he would have left if things hadn't turned out differently. By the
way I wouldn't have necessarily blamed him if his relationship with Mancini was that poor. Calling him disloyal is
probably too strong but he can't be considered to be totally loyal either and we certainly don't owe him anything.

Messi would absolutely transform our side and will raise every players game but the fee and wages combined are absolutley ridiculous.

I think FFP will destroy any hope of signing him to be honest as I just think relying on shirt sales and merchanside to recoup 250m would be a risky move but if Txiki and Soriano see it otherwise then who knows.

I do sense tension with him and Barcelona and I reckon if we put his buyout money on the table Barcelona would sell and it would then be up to Messi to decide what he wants to do, that's my opinion anyway.

Financially it's a risky move because if it fails it could potentially destroy us with FFP coming in and set us back years but at the same time if it pulls off he could transform us into something I could only imagine right now.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
ForzaMancini said:
Giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding your source, if Kompany felt he couldn't play under Mancini anymore then why is it disloyal if he wanted to leave? The fact a change in manager made him stay proves he never wanted to leave but may have felt he had to.

A valid point. I think the manager was the key to all this. I think he is actually quite happy at the club and would have been
reluctant to leave not least because his wife is local. I guess it all depends on how you look at loyalty / disloyalty. I was
accused of having "no sense of loyalty and not showing gratitude for loyalty" by another poster for suggested Kompany
might be allowed to leave. Personally I don't feel we should be grateful for his loyalty when he was considering
leaving, even though the club wanted him to stay and he would have left if things hadn't turned out differently. By the
way I wouldn't have necessarily blamed him if his relationship with Mancini was that poor. Calling him disloyal is
probably too strong but he can't be considered to be totally loyal either and we certainly don't owe him anything.

There are very few sportsmen and sportswomen that are loyal.....money talks,and like me and you....you look after and do what is best for you and your family.

I believe that everything is in place for this deal to be done, if it will or not will remain to be seen but I don't believe Soriano and Glick haven't gone out and got the big sponsors on board with verbal agreement's should it happen and I am sure I read that Txiki is close friends with Messi and his dad and his dad would be only be doing his job if he had some chats with Txiki about a possible transfer in the future.

SPIDERBOY said:

Messi's patience ran out ahead of Wednesday's Spanish Cup final against Real. A fan relentlessly harassed the Argentine at Barcelona airport and the striker ended up calling him "an idiot" before telling him to "sod off".

Excellent news. Lets hope this escalates.

SPIDERBOY said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
ForzaMancini said:

There are very few sportsmen and sportswomen that are loyal.....money talks,and like me and you....you look after and do what is best for you and your family.

I agree, the like of Gerrard, Scholes etc etc.. grew up supporting the clubs they played for so it was obvious that loyalty played a huge part in them being one club men, but I also think you have to take into consideration that those two players played for two of the biggest clubs in English footaball and were always around the top 6 in the Premier League so they were always going to be handsomely paid, had Liverpool or United demised into bottom tier clubs or relegated I reckon the loyalty of Gerrard, Scholes etc.. would have been tested.

Messi grew up suporting Newells Old Boys I think but Barcelona were the club who would pay for his growth injections which allowed to become a professional footballer, without Barcelona I reckon we would not be watching Lionel Messi today as a footballer so his loyalty for Barcelona is evident in the fact that the club made him the man he is today.

It's whether Messi want's a new challenge in my opinion.

sam-caddick said:
I think FFP will destroy any hope of signing him to be honest as I just think relying on shirt sales and merchanside to recoup 250m would be a risky move but if Txiki and Soriano see it otherwise then who knows.

City would have to structure an installment-based deal. I doubt he'd cost £250m, but if he did £250m/6 years = £41m per year. Doable for City (though it might limit our investment on other players, but will we need to spend £80m-£100m every summer for much longer?) and that is before any added income his arrival brings the club.

Wages would be astronomical but also controllable considering we've been carrying wages thieves whose salaries have (combined) totaled more than what Messi would earn (my guess, £300,000/week to £400,000/week) while they were loaned out - like Santa Cruz, Bridge, Adebayor.

We also stop subsidising Adebayor's wages this summer and some of our high earners like Barry and Lescott will be gone and replaced by players on lower basics.

I think the deal could be managed even with FFP. It might restrict City's spending some in the coming years, though.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
SPIDERBOY said:

Excellent news. Lets hope this escalates.

Video is on marca,don't know how to put it on here....I'm sure messi gives him the finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.