Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "clear and obvious" stuff is a bit of a red herring, and has taken on a mythology of its own. The ref wouldn't have seen the shirt pull in real time. He was told to look at it, and when you see it on the replay it's a foul every day of the week.
But that's exactly the point - if the rules say it has to be a "clear and obvious error", subsequently if it isn't then VAR shouldn't be involved.

If a shirt pull is a foul then it has to be given every time it's seen. If the ref has seen it and plays on, there's absolutely no point if it means a goal is scored a few seconds later then is chalked off. If the ref hasn't seen it, i.e. can't see it, then it's not an error. How can not being able to see something be an error, "clear and obvious" or otherwise?

This idea of letting the game flow needs to be clarified. at what point is a foul not a foul? And if you're going to let it go then you can't pull it back later on because it's resulted in a goal, it's ridiculous.

Every time we play these we let the same player do the same thing(Salah). But I suppose when we have left backs that are not the best defensively that’s your weak point. There seems to be too much distraction with mind games. Too cautious and too much respect. I know they are a great side but they have been well under par this year. Why change things and give them the belief? I do agree with the team selection today just not the tactical positions. IT’s always a tight game against these but we should have got a point. And if we dare to give the likes of Grealish and Alvarez more time to impact the game who knows.
So frustrating watching Salah as well, cut inside and run off shoulders yet we still let him drift on to his strongest side and play a high line every game against them/him! Howler from Cancelo no question but why is he the only one there, it’s bad communication at best and dreadful organisation for him to be isolated with Salah.

I haven’t been convinced with Dias of late (not blaming him for today just in general) and for me when Walker is fit he doesn’t get in the team ahead of Ake and Akanji at CB (on current form) we look so shaky at times with him, especially when the pressure comes or we go a goal down it looks like it could be 3-4 in minutes he collapses.

I’m with you, no problem on team selection but the tactics were dreadful, effectively made KDB a linesman and Gundo and Bernie were ‘the wrong way around’ it was very similar to our last poor performance in the charity shield against this lot.

The game was crying out for pace and you just knew out of petulance when they scored nobody else was getting on that pitch, Alvarez and or Grealish should have been on at 0-0 as I said in an earlier post.

Not all doom and gloom from me by any means, more just frustration at having the same conversations regarding Peps tinkering after a big game

No it shouldn't
Strictly, by the letter of the law, it should have stood. The ‘foul’ by Erling was a good chunk before the goal and they certainly had chance to reset and clear the ball. The fact that the ref is only shown one picture is the issue here.
Dippers justifying it by saying it should have been a corner following the Ederson save is the give away.

Nope. The truth. If you don't think one of his mandates was to win at least one CL with City then I don't know what to tell you. And what do you think the narrative will be if he doesn't win it with us? It will be dragged up time immemorial to tarnish his reputation.

He doesn't leave here a complete success if he doesn't win it at least once. He can't keep failing in Europe, and we, as fans, can't keep brushing it under the carpet as though it isn't a big deal. It's as simple as that.
Right but that's different fro a black cloud. If Pep leaves without a CL then he is probably not a complete success but I think the 2 things are quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.