Liverpool (h) - CL QF post match thread

Just got back. Nowhere near as bothered as I was on Saturday after the derby. It was always going to be a big ask to rescue something from tonight whereas it should have been straightforward on Saturday and we’d have had the most important trophy in the bag.

Great start but we seemed too hyped up and were making poor decisions with too many pointless or just plain poor balls at key moments. Never seen so many bad balls from Silva & KDB particularly, both of who look physically and mentally shattered. Pep actually got it right tonight tactically but we simply didn’t offer enough of a goal threat after we scored. Just watching the first half again and we’ve exerted loads of pressure but Karius has only had to make one save.

Then in the last 5 minutes there was Bernardo’s deflected shot onto the post and the disallowed goal. I think they may have got that decision right as, if I understand the rule correctly, Milner has to play it deliberately for Sané not to be offside and the question then hinges on whether he did play it deliberately or it just came off him. If the ref decided it wasn’t deliberate then the decision is correct.

Everything changed around 55 minutes when our energy levels seemed to drop, Fernandinho dropped into the back four and we let them have more of the ball. As soon as that happened they scored and it was game over. Otamendi then went full-on Otamendi and that was that. Unlike us, Liverpool know how to protect a lead and deserved it.

Thought Bernardo was excellent (& MOTM for me) and Laporte was also excellent. Sterling was very good but goes over far too easily. He needs to be stronger. Silva, KDB and Fernandinho were very average by their standards. Sané and Walker were OK, Jesus was anonymous after the goal and Otamendi proved he’s the new Richard Dunne.

There’s not enough steel or guile in this team to win the CL unfortunately.

you need to read the rules again mate, it has to be played by a team mate to be offside. their keeper punched the ball into Milner, I couldn't possibly be offside

I missed the game on TV as I was driving home from seeing my son who had been discharged from hospital (he is fine now).

I listened to the game og BBC Five Live. The main commentator was Alan Green assisted by Chris Waddle and the commentary was also broadcast on Radio Merseyside.

I have pretty much stopped listening to Radio 5 due to Green's appalling commentary but on this occasion it was the only choice.

The commentary was totally biased towards Liverpool with Sterling being branded a diver, Otamendi a play actor, the atmosphere was rubbish and the Liverpool fans mixed in with the City fans had a right to celebrate their goals. No mention of the Liverpool fans atrocious behaviour in the first leg and lots of smug gloating at the result.

I know that many have complained to the BBC about Green in the past but on this occasion he reached a new low. How can having a joint broadcast with Radio Merseyside possibly be neutral?

I thought Sane was brilliant too. I would say MOM. What do you want him to do? First half he got the ball continually. They just could not stop him. What they did do very well was cut out his crosses but that's because they had 10 men back. They penalty area was full of defenders.

the telling stat for me as was discussed on the radio was that over 180 mins we had 31 shots and only three on target, that is simply piss poor at this level.

Liverpool 5 shots, 3 of them on target out of that 2 goals last night.
United at the weekend 5 shots, 4 on target out of those 3 goals.

If Pep is mad about the details he has to investigate this as this is immense conversation rate for our rivals.

Just got back in and whilst many will be probably blaming the defence for going out, the telling stat for me as was discussed on the radio was that over 180 mins we had 31 shots and only three on target, that is simply piss poor at this level.

I actually saw the lino fist pump when he put his flag up for an offside - wtf is all that about. The ref constantly turning his back on the game whilst Carius wasted time on Goal kicks - not a second added time for the first half etc etc.

Some of our players didn't seem to believe a win was possible, and played accordingly - Sane being the biggest culprit.
Kev looked knackered towards the end and really needs a rest.

When they scored their first it kicked off in 104 with someone taking a good pasting - no sympathy at all.

Let's get the league won ASAP and give the team some well deserved rest

I think our front three showed their inexperience in the last 3 games. 3 games when it mattered.

They will go on and be great for City, however I do feel we need one two experienced additions added in the summer.

Ref was a disgrace, but like you said, 31 shots and 3 in target. Nowhere near good enough.

We needed a 2nd before half time and had that happened I firmly believe we would have gone to extra time at least.

That first half was one of the best halves of football I have seen all season and needed that extra bit of momentum going into the 2nd.

Having pep sent off at half time and knowing we need 3 more to win the tie was maybe just pschologically a step too far.

Just got back in and whilst many will be probably blaming the defence for going out, the telling stat for me as was discussed on the radio was that over 180 mins we had 31 shots and only three on target, that is simply piss poor at this level.

I actually saw the lino fist pump when he put his flag up for an offside - wtf is all that about. The ref constantly turning his back on the game whilst Carius wasted time on Goal kicks - not a second added time for the first half etc etc.

Some of our players didn't seem to believe a win was possible, and played accordingly - Sane being the biggest culprit.
Kev looked knackered towards the end and really needs a rest.

When they scored their first it kicked off in 104 with someone taking a good pasting - no sympathy at all.

Let's get the league won ASAP and give the team some well deserved rest
We hammered them 1st half. Hit the post with a blinding effort from Bernardo and had a good goal chalked off. Could we have done much more. Could very easily have been 3-0 at half time. LFC defended well too.

There weren't any LFC fans in my block, or if there were they kept themselves very quiet. But a lot of half and half scarves, and a lot of camera phones at the end. That annoyed me miserable as I was. I mean why would you want to take videos of Liverpool fans celebrating.

Liverpool 5 shots, 3 of them on target out of that 2 goals last night.
United at the weekend 5 shots, 4 on target out of those 3 goals.

If Pep is mad about the details he has to investigate this as this is immense conversation rate for our rivals.
I'm not sating the defence is perfect but when only 10% of shots are on target, that is a big problem. Score as freely as we used to earlier in the season and we would be champs now

edit - added the % sign :)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.