Liverpool (H) | Post match thread

we could have been 2 up and flying. but like the other post said you have to give some credit to the keeper
but i still feel a kane or haaland score that
Kane would have been gently jogging through the centre circle rather than busting a gut to get in behind like Raz was.

Haaland would’ve been on it quick as a flash and absolutely smashed it home

Apart from Alty/VAR and poor finishing all of which we have no real control over what did for us was not being 'on it' at the very start of the second half.
Alty once again stunk the place out. It’s obvious the club can’t call him cheating red twat, but, what they could do is turn it on its head….”we don’t feel Anthony had a good game today, Anthony is a very good referee but put in an impossible position being born and bred in Manchester, whatever he does will be wrong and he shouldn’t ever be put in that position“. In our small way stir shit up for the wanker and get wheels turning, he’s had it too easy for too long. What we don’t mention is we would love to throw the **** into an active volcano.

I have watched it, many times, to capture those frames, and I have posted the one *just* before he attempts the chip to show the pass to Foden (or the sweep pass in to the far post) were very much the easier of the potential options, and far more likely to result in a goal.

9-EB05-C1-D-BED0-42-AE-B0-DD-ECD6-AFA1-D233.jpg
Spot on Seb.

This still frame isn’t really fair on him though, as in the split second that is still to run before he actually kicks the ball, the opening for the pass shuts that little bit more. He was right to shoot but the execution let him down.
It's very easy to freeze frame and pick out easier options but at full speed Mahrze could not be sure foden is onside, it wast a clear cut pass for me, I think the pass or shoot choice was 50/50. I think the mistake was trying to lift the ball, he should of tried to curl it nto the left corner
If you watch a reply he takes a bad touch which puts the ball behind him so he has to adjust and is not quite at the right angle for the perfect shot or pass.
His lob did get deflected over too which may have made a difference.

I really should have just made a gif, so here it is.

He could have easily feigned the shot and passed it to Foden (that used to be one of my go-to tricks when I played and I had a 20th of the skill Mahrez does on my best day, and if he can chip the keeper he can ship the defender trying to close the space to find Foden’s left boot), but he certainly could have also set his body to make the ground pass instead of the shot earlier, as well. I just realised he actually looked up when he was setting up to shoot, when Foden was still wide open and onside, and still chose to shoot.

Watch Phil’s reaction—and especially Kev’s, as he had a full view of the opportunity he created with a truly stunning pass—when Riyad sends it over. They knew all it took was a simple pass forward and City would have won it at the death.

I am not trying to have a go, but I do think it is important we don’t sweep these types of glaring failures of decision-making under the rug. As always, Pep backed Mahrez in his post-match interviews, but I can guarantee you he or the match video analysts will be having a word about it and I am sure he get some off Phil and Kev for it in training, as well.

ezgif-3-9da40407ce.gif

By the way, it can’t be said enough: that pass from Kev deserved a game winning goal.

I thought City were the better team by a margin yesterday and it certainly wasn't the close contest we are now being told it was. Much that was said about Liverpool proved not to be the case. Jorgen Klopp's fabled gegenpress was never seen which meant that City were frequently able to hit the space behind Liverpool's high-line back four while their famous front three never really put any sustained pressure on our back line. And our midfield is so much cleverer than theirs; Rodri reads the game so well, KdB runs with the ball, passes it and causes chaos more and better than anyone else and Bernardo is such an intelligent workaholic. They were simply too good for their Liverpool counterparts and the gap became clearer as the game progressed. A t least one, arguably two of them should have seen red. But it was up front that Liverpool were supposed to have the potential to win the match and I suppose that 2 goals from 6 attempts is rather better than 2 from 11, but this does our front three scant justice. Liverpool's may finish better, may live off scraps better but the contribution of our front three to our team play is so much better. Phil is a delight: his close control is exquisite and his feet delightfully quick. He is certainly not a poor finisher but his play is so creative. Raz is not the best finisher in the world, certainly not the worst and he doesn't allow defenders to rest for a second. And Gabby! It seems harsh to say finishing is his weakness after the goal he got yesterday but Gabby kept his back penned back yesterday and Liverpool do rely on their backs getting forward.
If yesterday’s game finished 6 - 2, there couldn’t have been any complaints from the dippers. That’s how much we we in control.

He still looks off on the earlier frame (if the vertical line does the same).
The issue is the red line in the VAR offside frame is actually exaggerated beyond the blue one so as to indicate offside. In reality it would have been mostly overlapping with the red line barely misaligned toward goal. Go back a frame (the one that is now making the rounds on here and Twitter is the one I posted on here yesterday, so I know the timing exactly) and he is likely just onside, as he was leaning forward and the defender was leaning back to try to trap him.

Beyond all of that, this is all under the assumption that they accurately placed the vertical line on the tip of his shoulder, not slightly ahead (which would be easy to do with the resolution of the video available), and that the offside distance calculated is not within the margin of error of the spatial distortion correction system they are using (which the PL refuses to release).

All of this means there is an incredible amount of freedom given to VAR officials when reviewing these tight calls for onside/offside decisions, which means substantial room for manipulation.

This still frame isn’t really fair on him though, as in the split second that is still to run before he actually kicks the ball, the opening for the pass shuts that little bit more. He was right to shoot but the execution let him down.
Agree. Taking a still freeze frame doesn't show how quickly that move was breaking and the direction of the ball travel. It looks a bit of piss to slide Forden in there taking it from a photo, but it probably was the opposite

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.