Liverpool - post match thread.

He was born into football as a player, he was 100 rungs up the ladder already by the time he retired as a player. That is the case with countless manager - Koeman, Gullt, Dalglish, Mancini, and so many others... the average Joe in the street is unlikely to ever hope to manage the clubs they have, but it doesn't make them less knowledgeable. It's one of the huge myths of 'great managers' that somehow they are Gods. It's complete bollocks, Ex-players who often did a very good job at a very good club. But they aren't geniuses. They just aren't. Oh, and they all get sacked too. Guardiiola will eventually.
Nobody can deny what he's achieved, but he didn't start at the bottom rung. That's the point. Just because he's Pep doesn't mean he knows more. It doesn't mean a guy in the stands can't see something Pep can't. Some people have been watching this game for 60 years and seen it all come and go - they aren't idiots.
This.

Good post.

qltzw2.jpg

The answer is no I'm not !

we need that magic dust sprinkling over us again

something needs to happen a big signing maybe Gabriel Jesus could be that key but i don't think we will see it to next season the club needs a big lift on the field right now
at the moment we sit 5th and chelsea running away with it even the scum are right behind us and inform and on a good run this could start to get ugly

I usually think it is too easy for fans to say players aren't arsed or don't try, it isn't something I tend to do (I much prefer to blame a manager if I'm being honest). But, we all know that Pep's way requires exceptional intensity particularly when not in possession otherwise the whole thing is likely to unravel and it is definitely reasonable to ask whether the players we have are either able or inclined to put in those extra yards. For me the players did put in those extra efforts that are required for the first couple of months and by and large haven't in the last couple of months. Someone like Silva was working like a bastard to win the ball back from the very first minute of matches for a while, now he is doing it for the odd spell here and there but by and large for me has just gone back to the Silva of previous years who didn't press especially well. The reality is that if we are going to play with a high line then if every one of those front players doesn't work their balls off to press from the very first minute then we are going to be horribly exposed to shitty counter attack goals where the opposition have to do virtually nothing to earn their goals. That second half against Arsenal, the main difference for me was that we started pressing properly and winning the ball in their half like we did in most matches in August/September. It changes absolutely everything for us and I don't really know why we only do it for the odd half in the odd match these days (usually at the point where the shit appears to be hitting the fan). Makes me think some players are choosing when they can be bothered carrying out one of the fundamentals of our system. If they are physically not up to it and were already knackered by October/November then fair enough but still worrying, if it is a choice to not press then that's not on.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Of course, if players are choosing not to carry out the manager's instructions to press then that's bang out of order. I have another theory and that is that it takes time for them to adapt to an incessant pressing game and eventually we'll become more consistent at it, although some players who can't adapt will need to be jettisoned along the way and that may include some very high profile casualties.

It could be argued that the season has panned out so far in completely the opposite way to what many of us expected - instead of a slow start followed by better results and performances, we hit the ground running and have tailed off somewhat. However, this is very similar to how it went for Liverpool under Klopp last season - they play a similar pressing game to us and were almost instantly smashing teams but then there was a drop off in results and they only finished 8th. However, with a couple of transfer windows and a pre-season they look far more consistent this season.

Beating Burnley will be a tough ask. They will come for a draw at best and just pump the ball into our box waiting for our keystone cop defence to fail yet again.
We are struggling in 5th with the rag cnuts just behind us. Never thought I would see that at the start of the season.

Beating Burnley will be a tough ask. They will come for a draw at best and just pump the ball into our box waiting for our keystone cop defence to fail yet again.
We are struggling in 5th with the rag cnuts just behind us. Never thought I would see that at the start of the season.
I actually don't think it will be tough. A fairly straightforward 2 or 3 nil win would be my guess. Burnley are awful away from home.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Of course, if players are choosing not to carry out the manager's instructions to press then that's bang out of order. I have another theory and that is that it takes time for them to adapt to an incessant pressing game and eventually we'll become more consistent at it, although some players who can't adapt will need to be jettisoned along the way and that may include some very high profile casualties.

It could be argued that the season has panned out so far in completely the opposite way to what many of us expected - instead of a slow start followed by better results and performances, we hit the ground running and have tailed off somewhat. However, this is very similar to how it went for Liverpool under Klopp last season - they play a similar pressing game to us and were almost instantly smashing teams but then there was a drop off in results and they only finished 8th. However, with a couple of transfer windows and a pre-season they look far more consistent this season.
Biggest reason we aren't very adept at the pressing game is that we don't have enough players with the fitness to carry it out.

Too many "slow" players.

Biggest reason we aren't very adept at the pressing game is that we don't have enough players with the fitness to carry it out.

Too many "slow" players.

Yeah, that's a good point. I look at Liverpool and I think Klopp inherited more players from Rodgers that are better suited to his pressing game than Pep inherited when he took over us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.