Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d have to come from here to fully understand that. Wherever you go, the accent carries its own stereotypical slurs. I forget which boxer coined it, but the last two ‘acceptable’ forms of racism are to mock the Irish and Liverpudlians.

And that’s before you even get into how Thatcher systemically tried to decimate the City with her ‘managed decline.’ And spending the past 3 decades and more battling the establishment, and subsequent abuse from people the breath of the land over the lies that still stand today with many over Sheffield. And then, laughably, they expect you to come together as one behind the National side and forget it for the duration of a tournament!

To start to scratch the surface of that scab.

i was born in old swan and lived in west derby till i moved away in the 80s like a lot did. but i just got on with it and never has it affected me as i have never allowed it to. i got on my bike as heseltine told us to and never looked back, i like liverpool but a lot have never moved on hence the victims slur. like most i have at least one parent of irish heritage but i was born in lancashire as it was then and consider myself northern in many ways but truth is for half my adult life i have lived away. lots of northern cities and towns were affected and a lot more than liverpool that's for sure.

Was it similar to what your club has/is doing to the anfield area, buying houses, putting up steel shutters and leaving them to ruin, systematically destroying the lives of residents still living there?

If only FSG were doing that and not regenerating in stages one of the most deprived wards in the Country ay?

If only FSG were doing that and not regenerating in stages one of the most deprived wards in the Country ay?
oh come on, they bought some of those houses through third parties at much less than the market value. why was the stanley park option not taken up which would have both raised the profile of anfield/ walton as an area and given you a new stadium. FSG seemed keen initially i thought. you bought up houses in stealth which kept the prices of others very low, you were then able to buy properties on lothair road and expand the main stand. this was a time when you were struggling to compete off the pitch with rivals. a lot of the houses you bought were tinned up and left empty so not sure how that enhanced the area even in anfield

Last edited:

So I’m not consumed by hate when I say this: the level of denial from your club, and you lot, as supporters, around Heysel, is utterly reprehensible. Heysel was caused by the egregious truculence of Liverpool supporters at a European Cup Final, proceedings to which LFC supporters today hold up as the apogee of the football experience. If nothing else, that behaviour was unspeakably rude and disrespectful, irrespective of criminal liability.

Do you think that is something to be ashamed of? I would if that was City fans. .....

Sorry, I may have misread that question .....

Are you asking if it’s shameful, when it comes form a Liverpudlian, that the European Cup Final is held up as the biggest game in football down to being involved in a tragedy at one?

Apologies if I read that wrong.

oh come on, they bought some of those houses through third parties at much less than the market value. why was the stanley park option not taken up which would have both raised the profile of anfield/ walton as an area and given you a new stadium. FSG seemed keen initially i thought.

Why would we want to leave our home when the perfect answer to expansion was found and is till continuing?

The whole Immediate area around the ground has improved dramatically and the next stage with the hotel and regeneration of Walton Breck will increase that further.

Thing is, unlike most other posters in Bluemoon (at least on the face of it) I love Liverpool and I love scousers. I’ve got a load of very positive links to the city, and I genuinely think it’s one of the great metropolises in the Kingdom. I’ve got some truly great memories of some of the times of my life I’ve spent in Liverpool.

So I’m not consumed by hate when I say this: the level of denial from your club, and you lot, as supporters, around Heysel, is utterly reprehensible. Heysel was caused by the egregious truculence of Liverpool supporters at a European Cup Final, proceedings to which LFC supporters today hold up as the apogee of the football experience. If nothing else, that behaviour was unspeakably rude and disrespectful, irrespective of criminal liability.

Do you think that is something to be ashamed of? I would if that was City fans.

Until this causation fact is acknowledged in earnest by apparatchiks of LFC, and their acolytes, then I’m not sure this wound is ever going to start healing, which is something you appear to be advocating.

Any suggestions?

I don’t think anybody commenting has tried to excuse or mitigate anything that went on that day. There were other factors involved, no doubt, but the overwhelming majority of the blame in the stadium was down to the Liverpool fans. That’s taken as read by every fan I know at least. Plus Liverpool and Juventus have worked for a long time to restore the relationship between the clubs, the Rush deal was a perfect example of that. The transfer was agreed early but Liverpool got to keep him until the end of the season. All parties working together and not two clubs who a couple of years previously were in a much different situation. It’s not as nuanced and as comprehensive a reply as it needs, but I think it shows that nobody was under any illusions about what happened that evening. There have been plenty of fan club type pilgrimages there too building bridges. It’s not perfect but nothing could be sadly.

But do you agree that treatment of Anfield residents was as Dicko69 stated?

Not in the main no. You’re never going to please everyone but they have considered the local community in a lot of their moves.

We were due to move into one facility at Kirkby this summer for example until CV hit. Through which they made sure Melwood was sold at a lower cost to an affordable housing provider to regenerate and benefit much needed housing in the City there.

I’ll happily criticise FSG when it’s just (the furlough disgrace etc. And their PR/ fan relations is something they still sadly lack in).

But in other areas like this they are getting the balance right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.