Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory of that terrible day in Heysel is a little bit hazy, so please feel free to add to/correct my recollection.
The march was shown on terrestrial tv, no sky back then.
Before the match started, the fans rioted.
I had no thought that anyone would be killed, the sight of battling fans was not uncommon in those days, nobody had been killed before.
So events progressed and the area near the goal was turned into a place where the 'injured' (who were actually dead) could be attended to.
The commentary team included Mike Ingham who summed up the events.
From my own point of view, I am fairly sure that only one death was confirmed (possibly two).
Heaven knows what was going on behind the scenes!
Because the death toll seemed to be 'only 1 or 2' the match was given the go ahead.
To me, this decision was completely wrong, the match should have been called off.
R.I.P. the 39.
According to the Italian police if they didn’t play the match there would have been even more deaths

That’s AFTER the infamously inferior wall collapsed mind so kind of tells you what mood the mob was in

They had gone completely feral by that stage. There was an emergency meeting held in a meeting room in the stadium which had a random two scousers sat in it. They were rampaging around uncontrollably.

The journey back was for getting your stories straight

The idiots really have no sense of self awareness do they?
View attachment 59864

What an achievement, they have the same amount of points Roy Hodgson had on the board at this stage of the season. They’ve also finished second in champions league group meaning they face a potential tough draw next round. Fantastic stuff.

Fences were part and parcel of every stadium then. Fences are still up in Germany, Italy, etc, across Europe.

The Halloween deaths (RIP) in Soul wasn’t due to the tight alleyway, it was due to over crowding in the whole area. Earlier in the day the police were getting reports of potential over crowding in the area from the public and from their officers, but nothing was done about it.

Since the disaster local police stations around the area have been raided by investigators and files have been taken away. Local senior police officers have been suspended pending a full public enquiry into the disaster.

The similarities for both disasters are over crowding and the failure by the police to act.

Last edited:
There’s a few things I remember from that match coverage that aren’t often shown. Iirc - it’s long ago!
1. The Juventus fans had a massive long sign saying ‘animals’
2. There was a Juventus fan, who was walking about on the track in front of his own fans, that looked like he was waving a pistol.

I also remember the Liverpool fans charge across the terrace … and the hideous result.
And a Liverpool player on the stadium speaker system, pleading for calm, so they could get the game on and out of the way.
The Juve fan with the gun was after they'd carried the last of the dead out of the stadium I seem to remember.

Oh, do keep up mate, the lovable "scouse-not-english" scallywags were obviously just simply caught up in the middle of some serious and organised hooliganism after being targeting by those horrible johnny foreigners due to jealousy of their famous status as European Football Royalty.

Imagine, just for a second, being them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.