Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the whole point of them buying Liverpool was that the cash was already being generated. They admitted they only went ahead because they thought FFP would prevent others competing, and even then they still wanted to create a "Super" league.

Leeds would have been a good buy for sensible owners in the early 90s, and they can build on their support to move up amongst mid-table clubs, but they're still £300m+ behind Liverpool and that gap can't be breached without significant cash.

I suppose they could take a chance, and use part of the profit to try, but as we've seen with Everton, it can be a huge money pit, and FSG don't look like that kind of outfit.
Leeds would be cheaper than Everton and a new stadium on wasteland next door to Elland Road would be significantly cheaper than Bramley dock. In terms of international reach Leeds are probably one of just 10-12 traditionally big clubs that have the potential to pull in significant support from around the world which a shrewd investor could monetise. It might take them a bit longer than we did to become competitive due to FFP but Newcastle are finding a way from a similar position.

Leeds would be cheaper than Everton and a new stadium on wasteland next door to Elland Road would be significantly cheaper than Bramley dock. In terms of international reach Leeds are probably one of just 10-12 traditionally big clubs that have the potential to pull in significant support from around the world which a shrewd investor could monetise. It might take them a bit longer than we did to become competitive due to FFP but Newcastle are finding a way from a similar position.
Newcastle are obviously taking a bit of a bet on future earnings - a little like Forest - and their owners will no doubt be putting in the maximum amount of losses, and can "leverage" extra Saudi-based sponsors.

For anyone with less deep pockets and without those local contacts, it would be a big risk.

Deluded media reporting.

Let me think. $4bn for Liverpool and their history, outdated ground and old trophies with the need to invest $1bn to make their ageing squad competitive again or say buy Leeds, build a new state of the art stadium with top facilities and players to compete at the top level for a higher potential for ROI for less money.

Mike Ashley held out for £300mn when he sold Newcastle.
FSG have a marketing problem, too. Liverpool aren't famous for football anymore, it's everything else about the club that makes the headlines.

I work with a Moroccan guy who lived in Spain for many years and whenever conversation turned to football he didn’t say much but it was clear he was a big Real Madrid fan, fair enough I thought. He showed me a pic once of his baby lad wearing a Juve top which I just put down to his wife being Italian

So one time he comes in the office wearing a Utd shirt, so I go “Ayoub what the fuck are you doing with that on mate” - turns out all these years he’s literally just been a Ronaldo fan and wherever he went Ayoub supported them.

It’s a funny old world.
Get yourself on twitter. It's wall to wall Ronaldo fanboys. They support the player, not the club. It's a weird viewpoint, it really is. Reminds me of when Edin was playing for us. This place was clogged up with Bosnians. Woe betide if you dared to criticise him. As soon as he left, they vanished "like a fart in the wind".

Oh yeah, Twitter is full of these types. They don't care about a club, they only care about certain players, usually Messi and Ronaldo, and they support whoever their fave plays for. What they'll do when their fave retires, I have no idea.
We have our own version now, Haaland. If/when Haaland ever leaves he'll take a sizeable amount of followers/'fans' with him to the next club, because it's about following 'him', not the club he plays for, to those people.

Odd, but I suppose a natural progression in the weird world of celebrity worship - It used to be films ('Who's in it?', rather than 'Is it any good?'), and has now moved onto football, some people support the 'talent' not the 'product'.

They are looking to get a value so they can refinance and do a Glazier. Its a cash cow, accounts can be held on Mars for all anyone cares and they can launder money at will. I would say they adore the idea of transfers when it comes to selling players and will always pay on the drip for anyone coming in.

I know you'll say; "well, he would say that, wouldn't he?", but anyway. I can’t fathom why L***s are seen as a "big" club. They've won 3 league titles*, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 2 Inter City Fairs Cups. They seem to pretty consistently average crowds in the mid 30ks down the years. Not bad, but it is a one club town. Not having a pop at you, by the way. They're seen as big by the footballing world. I'm just puzzled as to how they've attained that status

*3 league titles isn't shabby, by the way. Better than the majority of clubs in the top division. But if you look at what is referred to now as the "top 6" clubs, only Spurs (2) have less top flight titles.

But then; I would say that, wouldn't I?

:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.