Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest sermon from the gift that keeps on giving, the Liverpool thought bank

I predicted this would happen, almost tongue in cheek really but also serious such is the levels of delusion in that cult, but even I thought they'd hold off at least a few months before claiming the likes of elliot, carvalho and ramsey who have never played in their academy as players from their academy.

They've named 10 players there from their "cradle of English football" 6 of them were bought in, most after making debuts elsewhere, 4 came through their academy and only 1 players regularly for them.

Bazunu, karius, Trippier, Mee, Tosin, larios, Lavia, Luiz, Sancho, Edozie, brooks, Iheanacho all currently playing in the Premier league having been with City at academy level. I've probably missed a few off and that's without even mentioning the ones actually playing for us already and the highly thought of kids out on loan,and then you've got the many more playing at top leagues in europe. That far eclipses anything the Liverpool academy have produced and we can't even stand up against what Chelsea's academy have churned out in recent times.

This is melwood? This is make believe.
I know lots of fans are a little deluded about their own clubs, but surely that was someone pretending to be a Liverpool fan? They've only just bought Carvalho, so it would be almost impossible to not know that.

This is Melwood - I think you're right, that is make believe.

I know you'll say; "well, he would say that, wouldn't he?", but anyway. I can’t fathom why L***s are seen as a "big" club. They've won 3 league titles*, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 2 Inter City Fairs Cups. They seem to pretty consistently average crowds in the mid 30ks down the years. Not bad, but it is a one club town. Not having a pop at you, by the way. They're seen as big by the footballing world. I'm just puzzled as to how they've attained that status

*3 league titles isn't shabby, by the way. Better than the majority of clubs in the top division. But if you look at what is referred to now as the "top 6" clubs, only Spurs (2) have less top flight titles.

But then; I would say that, wouldn't I?

:-)

Probably seen as big because when our generation were growing up and becoming aware of football they were one of the most successful clubs in the country with a team that was literally robbed of the European Cup in 1975 in one of the biggest scandals in European football history. Although before 1965 they were nowhere and went back into obscurity in the 1980s before being a force again in the 1990s.

As you say they were a bit of a nothing club but then the Revie period ended up having lots of iconic elements to it. The change to all white, embracing and revelling in the dirty leeds tag, a number of iconic games including in the European cup, a number of iconic players sometimes for all the wrong reasons. Even the car crash of the immediate post revie era with Clough was built up to mythical status. The cachet achieved in that singular period appears to have endured in ways it didn't for other clubs I suspect maybe because it coincided with the rise of regular televised football?

It’s a fantastic view into an alternative universe reading The Liverpool Thought Bank. The crying about our penalty on Saturday was delicious.

On their amazing youth policy, baring Gomez and Alexander Arnold non of those players have had any impact on what they have done in the last five years. Carvalho was bought from Fulham in the summer, they are almost as bad as the rags for claiming they have a good youth set up when they buy most of them in. If they are all about promoting youth why have they still got Milner turning out for them and their ageing squad of busted flushes?

If this crop of players they put out last night are so talented, why couldn’t they score in normal time against a 3rd tier side that has faced administration recently? Last time Klopp put the youth in they got gupped five nil off Aston Villa. They are a strange group of supporters who think they are the bestest in the world at everything, when the evidence says they aren’t.
Gomez was signed from Charlton, played a full season of senior football there before Liverpool signed him. Hardly an academy product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.