Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make a great point. Liverpool and its council is mired in corruption hence the recent arrest of its mayor Joe Anderson and his cabal on suspicion of allegedly taking sweeteners on construction contracts. My dad used to drive a lorry for a living and has told me that he used to have to pay a union 'tax' to either collect or drop goods off at the docks at Seaforth. My brother in law is the finance director of the scaffolding firm set up by his father and uncles and has told me if they win a contract in Liverpool before they can begin any scaffolding they have to pay the right 'security' firm their fee otherwise any scaffolding put up goes missing until payment is made.
Liverpool was and always will be ran by gangsters

You make a great point. Liverpool and its council is mired in corruption hence the recent arrest of its mayor Joe Anderson and his cabal on suspicion of allegedly taking sweeteners on construction contracts. My dad used to drive a lorry for a living and has told me that he used to have to pay a union 'tax' to either collect or drop goods off at the docks at Seaforth. My brother in law is the finance director of the scaffolding firm set up by his father and uncles and has told me if they win a contract in Liverpool before they can begin any scaffolding they have to pay the right 'security' firm their fee otherwise any scaffolding put up goes missing until payment is made.

My dad had a green grocers in Moss Side back in the 60’s. It was an immigrant area and his customers were either the tail end of the Irish influx or, in the main, from the West Indies. All good folk one and all.
My dad catered for those from the West Indies by stocking mangoes, yams, cooking bananas, sugar cane etc. Fruit and veg that wasn’t generally available from the wholesale markets in those days.
Thus he’d order it and buy it directly from the docks - but the cost of the extortion / backhanders demanded at Liverpool meant that he’d drive to Felixstowe or London to get his stock - and that was in an ex-post office Commer van in the days before motorways, so it was a major undertaking every time.
He’d rather do that than pay a tribute to the scouse gangsters - it makes me especially proud for him every time I remember that, and makes me remember why I can’t stand the feral scouse.

Last edited:
Liverpool was and always will be ran by gangsters
Knew a lad back in the 80s who delivered truck-loads of washing machines all around the north. Every time he had to deliver in Liverpool he was told (i.e. threatened) by the receiving warehouse to drop the trailer and come back an hour later to actually check in. Needless to say, he was then always a few machines short. He then had to write down the manifest. When he reported it back to the main warehouse, they’d just shrug their shoulders and write off the missing machines as ‘damaged in transit’. They all knew it was just the MO of having to deal with scousers.

My dad had green grocers in Moss Side back in the 60’s. It was an immigrant area and of his customers were either the tail end of the Irish influx or, in the main, from the West Indies. All good folk one and all.
My dad catered for those from the West Indies by stocking mangoes, yams, cooking bananas, sugar cane etc. Fruit and veg that wasn’t generally available from the wholesale markets in those days.
Thus he’d order it and buy it directly from the docks - but the cost of the extortion / backhanders demanded at Liverpool meant that he’d drive to Felixstowe or London to get his stock - and that was in an ex-post office Commer van in the days before motorways, so it was a major undertaking every time.
He’d rather do that than pay a tribute the the scouse gangsters - it makes me especially proud for him every time I remember that, and makes me remember why I can’t stand the feral scouse.
That’s a great story. What a guy!
Good chance my parents and extended family were customers of his.

Just them being vile fuckers again,they thought they’d just ruin probably the biggest day in that girls life singing the National anthem.
Pity she didn't break down in tears and stopped singing half way through. How would they have felt then?

That’s a great story. What a guy!
Good chance my parents and extended family were customers of his.

The shop was called the Orchard and it was on Great Western Street.
He loved the people in the area, he always said that the immigrants were the most honest folk you could ever meet, country folk who took pride in the verity of their words - if someone couldn’t afford their weekly shopping, and said that they’d pay him for it before the end of the week, then he knew that they’d do so by Saturday closing or it would have be posted through the door and on the mat when he opened up on Monday morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.