Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course you fucking well are.

Rugby ankle tap comparisons, "have you ever", "not the worst" etc etc etc?

Dress it up however you like, you're just another fucking hypocrite and an apologist for cheating.

Saddest thing of all? Your total lack of self-awareness means that you don't even realise.

It's just one of the reasons why you are despised by genuine football fans the length and breadth of the country.
oof. feeling fragile aren't we ;)

Mate, if everyone agreed with you or me it would be a sad little world. We don't need to agree to have a healthy argument. Can we agree on that? the great thing about sport is that we can see an event 2 different ways, and neither is necessarily wrong ( or right lol)

To clarify - I think my point was lost - 1) he went down too easy 2) there was contact (dubravka admited as much 'My arms are not trying to catch him. I don’t have to agree but at the end of the day it was a penalty.' 3) interpret that how you want.

also I don't think we need to enter a 'most despised fan' competition. I think you lot would be right up there (although I think that most of you are alright!)

Last edited:
I haven't seen every match obviously nor every highlight but offhand I can't think of a more obvious pen-that-should-have-been-a-yellow-for-diving than that one, let alone "far, far" from the softest pen.

But that said, folks here in my office who care (and there are a fair few surprisingly for a bunch of west coast Yanks) and I spoke this morning, and all to a fan (including City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Toon near my seat) agree that the officiating standards appear to be especially bad this season, though I think offside seems a bit more consistent.

completely agree with second part of the post. if we're talking about lucky decisions we (liverpool have had) this season, I wouldn't put the jota event in the top 5 even. but same goes for decisions against us.

how do you folk rate the Haaland pen against chelsea? Some chelski fans I know were pretty galled about that being soft.

There is a massive difference between soft and blatant deliberate cheating as we saw with jota

Is there though??

A pen is soft in most peoples books if a player makes the most of any contact whatever and goes down under it. How is that not 'cheating'? i.e. acting dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

Sorry to nit pick but I think if I'm to agree (which I can see your pov on, for sure ) that Jota blatantly cheated then we can't be sitting here saying that 'soft' doesn't equal cheating if a player goes down to win a pen, especially not a 'massive difference'.

completely agree with second part of the post. if we're talking about lucky decisions we (liverpool have had) this season, I wouldn't put the jota event in the top 5 even. but same goes for decisions against us.

how do you folk rate the Haaland pen against chelsea? Some chelski fans I know were pretty galled about that being soft.

Look at the contact on Haaland & compare it to the contact on Alison for the disallowed goals at the Etihad.

fair point

That goes in it’s more than likely City go on to win the game and the table looks a lot more different. Shit happens and I think we can all agree which ever side of the fence your football allegiances are, the standard of refereeing for the Premier League seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Five points off the summit with a game in hand when City have looked out of sorts within the last month or so. Think we’d have taken that, going to be a very interesting few months up until May, I don’t see it being between anyone else but Liverpool and City. Liverpool are playing some good stuff and when they are at full tilt can be a problem. City haven’t hit the heights yet and feel like we can go up another few gears.

My final observation on the Jota penalty.

There was MINIMAL contact. He was concentrating so much on initiating contact that he lost control of the ball. When it didn't have the desired theatrical effect, he took a whole extra pace, planted the foot that had just brushed the elbow of the keeper firmly on the turf, realised he wasn't going to get the ball, shifted his weight onto the opposite leg and then folded himself in half.

It was an action he had no doubt practiced many times on the training ground, and it's cheating, pure and simple. The problem now is that the furore that has followed will potentially see on-field referee's being more cautious in their decision making, and letting VAR make the call, which will no doubt see teams not getting penalties for similar if not identical situations (as we saw at the other end of the pitch in the same game). I'm willing to bet we will suffer for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.