Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Benteke is definite upgrade on Lambert, though thats not saying much but he is decent and on his day he is handful. Overpriced thats for sure, and if Liverpool can get Sturridge back to fitness then Benteke brings more depth in that department. Big IF though.

For £32.5M a bit underwhelming signing, though. Also doesn't Rodgers like passing game? Benteke in that sense seems strange also.
Don't mind Benteke he is a decent player, he can be dangerous on his day, sooner see him at Liverpool than the rags

Yep, Benteke is definite upgrade on Lambert, though thats not saying much but he is decent and on his day he is handful. Overpriced thats for sure, and if Liverpool can get Sturridge back to fitness then Benteke brings more depth in that department. Big IF though.

For £32.5M a bit underwhelming signing, though. Also doesn't Rodgers like passing game? Benteke in that sense seems strange also.

yeah, it's weird.

I suppose my hope is that Benteke is being stereotyped as a one-trick pony because he's a big guy (that's what Villa fans have supposedly been saying). Hazard and De Bruyne are on a different level of quality from what we have of course, but hopefully if Benteke can play with them in a 4-3-3 maybe Rodgers will work something out. I just don't know.

My immediate 2 cents on Benteke:

- As an armchair coach, not sure he's the type of striker we needed. This for me is what fans should be more worried about than the price.

This is the nub of the matter for me. He strikes me as a forward who'll hold the ball up and thrive on crosses but your style has been all about mobility and pace with small quick forwards.

Suarez, Sturridge & Sterling were so deadly because they pulled defenders all over the place. Benteke won't do that so you'd better hope that Ibe & Firmino can.

The other thing that puzzles me about your transfer dealings is that you're very weak defensively yet you've bought a load of midfield and attacking players. If I'd seen my team ship 9 goals to Palace and Stoke in their last two games, I'd be more concerned with buying defenders.

Strange move for Benteke leaving the Cup finalists for a mid-table side.

Only going for the money...

This is the nub of the matter for me. He strikes me as a forward who'll hold the ball up and thrive on crosses but your style has been all about mobility and pace with small quick forwards.

Suarez, Sturridge & Sterling were so deadly because they pulled defenders all over the place. Benteke won't do that so you'd better hope that Ibe & Firmino can.

The other thing that puzzles me about your transfer dealings is that you're very weak defensively yet you've bought a load of midfield and attacking players. If I'd seen my team ship 9 goals to Palace and Stoke in their last two games, I'd be more concerned with buying defenders.

Got to agree, I said a couple of weeks ago in this thread that Benteke, albeit a pretty good striker, isn't the style of striker that will fit in with the way Rodgers is trying to get Liverpool to play. He inherited Andy Carroll, and promptly sold him, mainly due to his style not suiting where Rodgers wanted to go. Benteke is better than Carroll, he's got better ball control, and is more skilful, but ultimately you get the best out of him if you're willing to deliver crosses into the box from out wide. Liverpool play a lot of balls to feet, and try to slot strikers in behind the defence to utilise their pace. That doesn't seem like Benteke's natural game to me and, at north of £30m, you'd expect to be buying a striker who could do what you wanted of him very well indeed!

Agree on the defensive side of things too. Clyne is a good addition, but he's more of an attacking defender than a defending defender, if you understand what I mean. Moreno and Enrique are of a similar style, and both get caught out of position and ball watch too much. Their centre halves are ok, but Lovren needs to step up, Sakho needs to cut out mistakes, and Skrtel needs to realise this is football not WWE. I'd have thought adding a top quality keeper was a priority, as Mignolet certainly isn't one. Begovic was screaming out to be bought, are you really telling me he'd prefer to warm Chelsea's bench?

Don't mind Benteke he is a decent player, he can be dangerous on his day, sooner see him at Liverpool than the rags
same ere,was impressed with the way he held it up against us at end of last season...strong as fuck,could be an assett if they use him right...but they probably won't.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.