Liverpool v City 1st leg CL Qtr Final post match

The blue tinted specs need to be taken off and stamped on by some. This result is not recoverable by any means. We are just not capable of keeping them from scoring! We couldn’t even get a shot on target today, absolutely shocking performances all over the place. Really poor choice to play Gundog, should have been Bernardo!
Sane still cannot choose the right pass when out under pressure & needs to sort out his petulant behaviour. Gabby looked like a lost child and buzzed around achieving fcuk all.
Difficult to defend any of them tbh. Keystone cop style defending is embarrassing. Yet again we gifted them goals and that makes it hard to take if we had been beaten by slick passing and movement then it would be easier to stomach. We rolled over like a shit Sunday League team. Possession etc counts for fcuk all if we can’t defend or even get a shot on target let alone score! We could play until Tuesday and still not score playing like that. If he plays Gundog again, he needs a slap. He clearly isn’t suited to that formation.
There’s no way we will be coming back from that mauling today, no matter how we play. We just didn’t have the mentality or ingenuity to break them down. We wasted the opportunities we had and never actually got one on target. Disgraceful.
The only thing to make it bearable is to beat the rags on Saturday, but after that comical display, I’m doubting even that now.

Pep made many mistakes in one game:

1- Playing Gundogan instead of Sterling or Bernardo was a big mistake. We couldn't create anything from the right and were predictable that we are relying on Sane.

2- Laporte is not LB, I would play Delph or Danilo because they know how to support Sane better.

3- Why not make any change after half time ?

4- Jesus is not half ready to replace Aguero yet and I am not sure if he will ever be good enough to be our main striker.

5- Never use Gundogan in any position other than DM, he did well there against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Anyway, Pep is a human and he will make mistakes over and over again but lets hope he will not repeat the same mistakes and learn.

And LFC defended properly when we attacked 2nd half. This is a team that's been derided for not being able to defend, but they did the basics,and we didn't.

They did, with the help of the officials.

If that was 0-0 as it should have been, we would now be fancying taking them to the cleaners & going through having seen the 2nd half.

It's my opinion ric but with bayern and us he's fell well short in the champs lge. I know we are all disappointed but it's my view.
Well here are some facts Pep has the best ECL record of any manager, 4 of the seasons without Messi, his game percentage win rate record is better without him He got to 3 semi finals with Bayern one of those he lost to away goals So well short is a gross exaggeration Last season with a squad that clearly wasn’t good enough he failed for the first time to get to the semi-finals, he may well do so again this season time will tell

Let's be honest, we were crap tonight and to be honest I expected it. We just fold at Anfield. I'm so pissed off, I really thought we had turned the corner. Stop covering over the cracks. When the chips are down were not there yet. It hurts really bad but be realistic.

I agree. Even though so much has been written about how good we are there is still so much more room for improvement. It will come under Pep, of that I'm sure.

I think that was because they are used to having an outlet further forward to pass to and with Gundogan on the right, that outlet just wasn't there, so they had to dwell more on the ball while looking for a forward option.

It's not Gundogan's fault but his inclusion in that position weakened us defensively and also when attacking.
Just be honest and stop looking through rose coloured glasses were out.

You have to admire what pep is doing by sticking to his guns and sticking to his philosophy against all odds but you have to wonder if he will ever win the champions league again.
In the champions league you have to be pragmatic as fuck. You need to be able to change your tactics at a moments notice.
Yes he was very successful in Europe with barcelona playing a certain way.
Liverpool pressed us hard but it's nothing compared to the level of press real madrid inflicted on barcelona. Pep even said once that going into games against real madrid he would tell his players that if they hold onto the ball for more than half a second, they will loose it.
The difference at barcelona was that he had played like messi, xavi and iniesta who could cope with any amounts of press. He needs very intelligent players to play his way. We are not smart enough to do that. We are in good company as bayern munich also struggled with his tactics.

I love pep and think he is one of the best managers ever when it comes to his vision and philosophy.
But I can't help but wonder how we would be playing if someone like klopp or conte was our manager with the players we currently have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.