Lucy Letby infant murders trial - Guilty verdict (P 13)

Just find it strange to use an anecdote about someone wrongly convicted getting tortured to make that kind of "wish".

No I generally don't wish sexual torture on people, even serial killers.
I do in this case, given the age of the victims.
And the anecdote was to show what wrongly happened to that person, which hopefully awaits this person. She literally deserves nothing less.

Don't know, but what you are advocating is demagoguery.
What I am saying is that if you allow society's moral standards to slip then we are all in danger of having our rights curtailed because a majority opinion deems it right to target certain individuals or segments of society regardless of the morality of that stance.
In my opinion, how we treat prisoners, just as an example, isn't necessarily a reflection of what they deserve, but a reflection of the moral and human standards of our society.
Nice words, but child murderers are scum and deserve nothing. It's all about opinions and you are entitled to yours.

I remember Lord Longford campaigning on behalf of Ian Brady. Longford never gained much support either?!

Nice words, but child murderers are scum and deserve nothing. It's all about opinions and you are entitled to yours.

I remember Lord Longford campaigning on behalf of Ian Brady. Longford never gained much support either?!

It was Myra Hindley wasn't it? She successfully manipulated him and downplayed her role in the murders and pinned it all on Brady.

Don't know, but what you are advocating is demagoguery.
What I am saying is that if you allow society's moral standards to slip then we are all in danger of having our rights curtailed because a majority opinion deems it right to target certain individuals or segments of society regardless of the morality of that stance.
In my opinion, how we treat prisoners, just as an example, isn't necessarily a reflection of what they deserve, but a reflection of the moral and human standards of our society.
Very well said, mate.

We are a far more unforgiving society than we were a generation ago. Some are not deserving of forgiveness, but I wish some people would step back and realise tougher sentencing isn’t a deterrent to preventing base human instincts manifesting themselves. Ways of suppressing those instincts has to be a more effective approach than simply punishing them.

People keep screaming for tougher sentencing, and sentencing keeps going up (despite what some on here seem to believe) and antisocial and violent crime keeps increasing. And the whole sorry cycle continues.

At which point does that Albert Einstein quote become front and centre with this debate?

Tougher sentencing will never be a panacea. Just look at America.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.