Lucy Letby infant murders trial - Guilty verdict (P 13)

Very well said, mate.

We are a far more unforgiving society than we were a generation ago. Some are not deserving of forgiveness, but I wish some people would step back and realise tougher sentencing isn’t a deterrent to preventing base human instincts manifesting themselves. Ways of suppressing those instincts has to be a more effective approach than simply punishing them.

People keep screaming for tougher sentencing, and sentencing keeps going up (despite what some on here seem to believe) and antisocial and violent crime keeps increasing. And the whole sorry cycle continues.

At which point does that Albert Einstein quote become front and centre with this debate?

Tougher sentencing will never be a panacea. Just look at America.
Wasn't it Pierrepoint who said capital punishment was never a deterrent?

Very well said, mate.

We are a far more unforgiving society than we were a generation ago. Some are not deserving of forgiveness, but I wish some people would step back and realise tougher sentencing isn’t a deterrent to preventing base human instincts manifesting themselves. Ways of suppressing those instincts has to be a more effective approach than simply punishing them.

People keep screaming for tougher sentencing, and sentencing keeps going up (despite what some on here seem to believe) and antisocial and violent crime keeps increasing. And the whole sorry cycle continues.

At which point does that Albert Einstein quote become front and centre with this debate?

It’s heartening that there’s still sections of society who haven’t give up and just gone all Lord of the flies!!..
Of course, I couldn’t possibly put myself in that bracket because my mind works a bit differently when it comes to what is and isn’t sufficient punishment but still, I’m glad there are still some sane folk about.. :-)

Very well said, mate.

It's quite depressing. I remember reading years ago that experts reckoned if you hadn't addressed problem kids by the age of seven it was too late. We just don't have the money or resources to do that so I guess we're pretty much fucked. Add to that a lot of problem kids have parents and grandparents that were the same then they have no decent role models or stability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.