Madeleine McCann

And you’ve been continually sugar coating their behaviour. What’s the difference?

I’m not sugar coating anything.

I think they should have put them in a crèche first and locked the door and windows at least 2nd. I also think given the environment they were in and the fact nothing like that had ever happened, it’s not as bad as people are saying and the parents felt they were safe.

Continually repeating “they left them alone whilst on the piss” does absolutely nothing to help us reach a reasonable position on the parents’ behaviour.

I was left alone on a number of occasions by my parents when I was a child, in a foreign country. So it resonates with me personally. The relationship I had with my father, who was the main culprit, was sketchy at best as a consequence. He was a selfish man out for himself and had more wives than Henry the 8th. I barely seen him growing up.

I have vowed never to treat my own children the same way.
Fair enough you've got a bad relationship with your folks and are transferring it to the McCanns.
I know loads of loving parents who have behaved in the same way and have a great relationship with their kids

Fair enough you've got a bad relationship with your folks and are transferring it to the McCanns.
I know loads of loving parents who have behaved in the same way and have a great relationship with their kids

It's not being transferred anywhere.

Its horses for courses. Those who have loving relationships wouldn't feel the same way had they been abducted after such neglectful parenting.

It's a poor argument.

It's like the guy who jumped of the tall building, and survived. Would you do it, knowing the risk it posed.

It doesn't make it right.

I think they should have put them in a crèche first and locked the door and windows at least 2nd. I also think given the environment they were in and the fact nothing like that had ever happened, it’s not as bad as people are saying and the parents felt they were safe.

Continually repeating “they left them alone whilst on the piss” does absolutely nothing to help us reach a reasonable position on the parents’ behaviour.

Whether they were on the piss doesn't matter.

Look at the end of the day fella, you think its okay to leave children unattended so we will never agree.

I'm going to leave it here with you. Argument has had its day now.

I didn’t back myself into a corner, 2/3 of the burn ‘em brigade were outraged at someone disagreeing with the burn ‘em approach and tried to intimidate me out of replying - which will never work with me.

The rest of your post is a very good one.

Was it perfect parenting? No.

Did they probably feel it was perfectly safe? Yes.

Did they care about their kids? Obviously.

As you say they’ll have to live with it for the rest of their lives as punishment, I just disagree with the whole jail time for neglect view.
Maybe backing yourself into a corner is the wrong turn of phrase but it would seem that the vast majority on this thread feel that it was bad parenting. I appreciate your quest for balance but perhaps it was indeed bad parenting even if calls for their incarceration are harsh.
I know you have said there was room for improvement (I paraphrase you there) but perhaps if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, maybe it is after all a duck. Just not a duck that needs locking up.

As Ban-jani has pointed out numerous times the apartment patio was only 77m away and clearly visible to the diners.......

Not sure why Kate felt the need to leave the twins and run to the Tapas bar surely she could have flapped her arms about and shouted from the apartment.

I was left alone on a number of occasions by my parents when I was a child, in a foreign country. So it resonates with me personally. The relationship I had with my father, who was the main culprit, was sketchy at best as a consequence. He was a selfish man out for himself and had more wives than Henry the 8th. I barely seen him growing up.

I have vowed never to treat my own children the same way.
Yeesh, that does seem like really bad parenting. Good man for coming out the other side.

Wasting my time discussing it with you as you’re still slipping the window in there.
The windows couldn’t be opened from outside, they shown no forced entry and only had Kate’s fingerprints on them.

The McCann's may well have gone on to have a great relationship with their daughter if she'd survived their parenting choices. She didn't though. Your friends may well have been luckier but they made equally poor choices as a parent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.