Maine Rd terrace characters

There was old boy in my block in the North Stand in the 70s and 80s block M row 22 seat 22.1st pass that went astray go back to bed city.All through the game should have stayed in bed City go back to bed if we were winning well it was if you had got out of bed it could have been more had all around in hysterics.

We were M Block, Row 21, seat 35. That rings a bell ... sounds very like Barry Lattimer. Him and his missus (plus two mates) went home and away for years. He is still around, but getting on a bit now and no longer goes.

That might be Denis Locke. He was a top guy.

I went on that bus for a couple of seasons from 1965-67. The driver was called Paddy McGhee and it was always referred to as Paddy's Bus. We would often go to the match at Stockport on the Friday before going through to catch the bus at midnight.

We would always leave London (or Bristol/Southampton/Plymouth) at midnight and were dropped off at Parr's Wood and have to walk back to Cheadle Hulme at around 7:00AM.

I remember leaving at midnight for a match at Fulham and still missing the kick-off because we stayed too long in the pub.
I went on Paddy’s coach quite a few times with a group of lads from the Red Rose/Black Boy in Wythenshawe but there were lads from all over Manchester.
It was on the coach I met Dennis Lock and we became a mates. Other names I remember are Spider, Johny Kaye,The Vicar, Dave Heap, Jimmy McMullen, Len the Spew, Johnny Andrews, Ginger Johnstone, Davy Mac, Johnny Yarwood, Les Lowe, Jack Whitely the Hince brothers, who said they were related to Paul Hince the occasional City player and later journalist.
It was Jimmy Mac who introduced everyone to the Prospect of Whitby.
Dennis was a proper Jack the lad. I remember coming out of OT after the 69 derby and a rag rode past on a scooter mouthing off until Denis knocked him off the scooter, a bit of a scuffle followed and possibly an arrest or two.
The guys on the coach loved the midnight departures, which were sensible for the long trips but Paddy was persuaded to do a midnight run for Rotherham.
My first trip was to Pompey New Years day 1965. A guy in the Scoreboard end organised it, can’t remember his name but he was eventually replaced by Trevor from Northern Moor.
Great times.

I went on Paddy’s coach quite a few times with a group of lads from the Red Rose/Black Boy in Wythenshawe but there were lads from all over Manchester.
It was on the coach I met Dennis Lock and we became a mates. Other names I remember are Spider, Johny Kaye,The Vicar, Dave Heap, Jimmy McMullen, Len the Spew, Johnny Andrews, Ginger Johnstone, Davy Mac, Johnny Yarwood, Les Lowe, Jack Whitely the Hince brothers, who said they were related to Paul Hince the occasional City player and later journalist.
Dennis was a proper Jack the lad. I remember coming out of OT after the 69 derby and a rag rode past on a scooter mouthing off until Denis knocked him off the scooter, a bit of a scuffle followed and possibly an arrest or two.
The guys on the coach loved the midnight departures, which were sensible for the long trips but Paddy was persuaded to do a midnight run for Rotherham.
My first trip was to Pompey New Years day 1965. A guy in the Scoreboard end organised it, can’t remember his name but he was eventually replaced by Trevor from Northern Moor.
Great times.
Midnight run to Rotherham lol

I remember reading something on Bluemoon a while ago that really made me laugh, can't find it anywhere.

It was Derby day and one lad on the Kippax spent 3/4 of the match shouting "Bryan Bryan " every time Robson came near to where he was standing. Eventually Robson looked at the guy as if to say "what"?

With that the guy opens his coat, pulls out a massive dead fish and says something like "I've got that fish you wanted."

Made me laugh anyway.

Not exactly the old terrace, but, the last Maine Road Derby and the ball ran out for a throw and van whatsisname went for the ball some guy had run down the steps and it seemed like years of venom came pouring out as he bellowed: "FUCK OFF HORSEHEAD!" it was visceral and there was no way he couldn't have heard him everyone was pissing themselves laughing I recall.

Great times.
lol.... where did you go when you arrived in Rotherham at about 1:30am?!?

Midnight run to Rotherham lol
To make the midnighter to Rotherham take a bit longer Paddy the driver had planned to park up on the moors for a few hours to give everyone a chance for some kip.
Paddy had not factored in the card school keeping everyone awake as they insisted on continuing their game by torch and candlelight with accompanying cheers and raucous laughter as the tinnies went down.
The rest of the coach complained about the noise but the card school guys carried on until eventually Paddy lost patience and moved them into the coach‘s boot. They remained in the boot, carrying on their game, for the rest of the journey.

Not exactly the old terrace, but, the last Maine Road Derby and the ball ran out for a throw and van whatsisname went for the ball some guy had run down the steps and it seemed like years of venom came pouring out as he bellowed: "FUCK OFF HORSEHEAD!" it was visceral and there was no way he couldn't have heard him everyone was pissing themselves laughing I recall.
I remember one derby after a particularly crunching tackle someone in front of us shouting 'Kick him again, he's still moving...' but I can't for the life of me remember who the Rag player writhing on the floor was; possibly Mark Hughes?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.