Maine Rd terrace characters

Belting thread this,so many things coming back to me,and its had me sat staring in space thinking of games and other things that happened in those days.

The social club was always a good crack before and after the game,remember winning 30 notes on bandit(when 30 notes was a lot of money),and also remember going in the souvenir shop,in 1 door out the other,and the old dear who used to run the shop,always in a city tracksuit,did see her a few times rite at the start when we moved to COMS but never seen her since....hope she still with us ????<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 pm --<br /><br />Belting thread this,so many things coming back to me,and its had me sat staring in space thinking of games and other things that happened in those days.

The social club was always a good crack before and after the game,remember winning 30 notes on bandit(when 30 notes was a lot of money),and also remember going in the souvenir shop,in 1 door out the other,and the old dear who used to run the shop,always in a city tracksuit,did see her a few times rite at the start when we moved to COMS but never seen her since....hope she still with us ????

portisheadblue said:
A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

That might be Denis Locke. He was a top guy.

I went on that bus for a couple of seasons from 1965-67. The driver was called Paddy McGhee and it was always referred to as Paddy's Bus. We would often go to the match at Stockport on the Friday before going through to catch the bus at midnight.

We would always leave London (or Bristol/Southampton/Plymouth) at midnight and were dropped off at Parr's Wood and have to walk back to Cheadle Hulme at around 7:00AM.

I remember leaving at midnight for a match at Fulham and still missing the kick-off because we stayed too long in the pub.

[remember going in the souvenir shop,in 1 door out the other,and the old dear who used to run the shop,always in a city tracksuit,did see her a few times rite at the start when we moved to COMS but never seen her since....hope she still with us ????[/quote]
yep think she used to work in city store. now part of the city stadium tour

The Boy Mike D said:
[remember going in the souvenir shop,in 1 door out the other,and the old dear who used to run the shop,always in a city tracksuit,did see her a few times rite at the start when we moved to COMS but never seen her since....hope she still with us ????
yep think she used to work in city store. now part of the city stadium tour[/quote]

Glad to hear that,she is for me mrs manchester city,always childhood memories,jesus new shirts and stuff at xmas,mi mam n dad getting me kitted out....aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh memories

meeesh said:
The Boy Mike D said:
[remember going in the souvenir shop,in 1 door out the other,and the old dear who used to run the shop,always in a city tracksuit,did see her a few times rite at the start when we moved to COMS but never seen her since....hope she still with us ????
yep think she used to work in city store. now part of the city stadium tour

Glad to hear that,she is for me mrs manchester city,always childhood memories,jesus new shirts and stuff at xmas,mi mam n dad getting me kitted out....aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh memories[/quote]

I think you're talking about Janice Monks, daughter of our legendary groundsman Stan Gibson. Janice did work in the City store for a while before coming involved with the tours of Coms. She still attends matches with hubby Dave and she's a friend to many at the club. Janice is very much part of the City family and fabric.

there was a lad in windy corner called george pony tail leather jacket always had a slf ( stiff little fingers ) t-shirt on. He use to run away trips from the land of cakes top of oldham st this was early 80`s that was last i seen of him like loads of others i then moved to maine stand next to the police box

pathfinder-roger palmers dad;used to drive the godfrey abbott coach;from sale;also drove us on salemoor coach;from the lindow pub; lots of characters;on both coaches;some still going;unlike both coach firms ;and the lindow pub.

The Boy Mike D said:
there was a lad in windy corner called george pony tail leather jacket always had a slf ( stiff little fingers ) t-shirt on. He use to run away trips from the land of cakes top of oldham st this was early 80`s that was last i seen of him like loads of others i then moved to maine stand next to the police box

Yes - know George very well (or did back then) and yes I travelled to every away game from around 84 - 87 with him and the coach from the Land O' Cakes (Portsmouth away, back door 6am, left around 7am). Im sure most of the lads on the bus - or a good deal of them - were posties working at Newton Street sorting office. We would wait for them to finish their shift, grab a quick pint and then we'd be off. The posties would booze all the way down, watch the game, kip on the way back and back on the night shifts when we got back!

There was that one spot of trouble in the pub after a derby when the rag was kicked unconscious (nowt to do with us) and the landlord said he couldnt have us there anymore, so we went to the Hat & Feathers pub on the side streets opposite Band On The Wall.

Would see George over the years at SLF, The Alarm (they were his favourite) and other gigs. Saw him last at a Buzzcocks gig 2 years ago

Does anyone remember the Copper who used to stand above the tunnel in the kippax near the away fans he used to stand above the city fans . NOW he was a right WHOPPER.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
ndjsleftnipple said:
Tuearts right boot said:
Slightly off on a tangent but does anyone remember 'Pathfinder' drove for a coach firm (buggered if I can remember but went most aways with them before I could drive) If I remember, was Roger Palmers dad.
It was always more of a Mystery tour than an away match.Remember going to Notts counties ground then finally Notts Forests.Trouble was,we were actually playing Derby that day.

Pathfinder takes me back. Memories very sketchy but the name Pathfinder has always stuck with me, and the link to Roger Palmer too (from Sale I think). Can't remember specifics but I can verify the name. Mid-seventies I reckon. Was he with Finglands?

Yes, Roger was from the Racecourse Estate
Young leemcfc on here is Roger's nephew

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.