Maine Road (now) photos

Skashion said:
robsta said:
Anyone remember the shop when it was just one of the houses on the corner opposite the ground. It was just like someone's front room or an ordinary front to a shop.
I remember that fondly. They had all those pin badges under the glass counter and I used to get a couple at the start of every season.

Hey and if anyone thinks it's a crush getting in to the store today they should have tried getting into that one ha ha. Mind you I think I remember everyone politely queuing up to get in. Remember be thrilled when my Dad bought me a black and white picture of Colin the King. God I sound like my Granddad now.

Its £800 a month nowto rent on Thornton Road!
I nearly fainted.<br /><br />-- Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am --<br /><br />Its £800 a month nowto rent on Thornton Road!
I nearly fainted.

I miss it like mad - my dad started taking me when I was 5 (in 1975); around that time, and for several years afterwards, we even went to reserve matches on alternate Saturdays. As I got older I remember running to the (standing) Kippax, such was my desperation to get there from my parking space more than a mile away. I remember we used to sing songs to the players a good half an hour before kickoff from the old Kippax - I lament occasionally how my kids will never know this type of atmosphere.

I wasn't lucky enough to get Wembley tickets but went to City Square for both games. It was after these matches that COMS finally felt like home. I suppose that sometimes you have to make new memories in life.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Maine Road was well past it's sell by date, (imo) a mishmash of four different stands, parking was a joke, whoever designed the "Kippax" stand should have been shot, although I appreciate money was tight at the time.

I'm as sentimental as the next fan, going to games since 1961 but it was time to move on.....

Why do you say that mate? Just interested to hear as I was only born in 1991 so never really witnessed the real Kippax.

:( sad seeing the ground, the view up the road, and even the club shop like that, admitedlly i can't share as many memories as some of you that have spent many a time watching city at maine road because of my age, but from what i can remember of it and now to see it like that makes me :( the club shop in particular holds a fond memory, i spent about an hour queueing with my dad for the purple limited edition away shirt around 2003 and i got one of the last few of the 1000 that were on sale! Rememebr leaving the shop with a massive grin on my face and i remember i was the same way when i met Steve Howey.

R.I.P Maine Road

denislawsbackheel said:
I nearly fainted.

-- Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am --

I nearly fainted.

I grew up in fallowfield and
the season before we left maine road i just got my level 2 in pipe fitting so got a pay rise.My mum said why dont i but a house on horton or thornton road there nice and cheap 30 odd grand it;ll get you on the ladder ? I said sod that mum its in a dump of an area and right by the ground it;ll be a awful every fourtnight
the year after we left Mainre road and I was going for my first house we looked at houses on Horton and Thornton road they were going for 100 grand without heating and need of a complete overhaul or 130 grand for a done up house absolute gutted

Many a time we sat in that UU stand, and got drenched. What was the one in the opposite corner called? I remember vividly sitting there, and watching Beckham score one of his trademark freekicks against us !!

Maine Road has so many good memories for us, it is so sad looking at the photos of what it is now

So many memories- before first match in March 73 Dad had taken me to Maine Road for a look around. Can still remember stood there in awe stirring at the Main entrance Manchester City mosaiq (spl). Then going to my first game v Chelsea 72/3 and game being called off. Had to wait another couple of weeks for the Arsenal game. Then the following season my first derby game called of AGAIN this time for fog- I think. When the game was eventually played Sir Mike Doyle and Spew Macari were both sent off but wouldn't go off- So the ref took both teams off!!

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
Does anyone else think those houses look very out of place?

Yes me ....

it's hard to believe that a football ground was ever there , yet it was ...... and i'm none too keen whatsoever on those houses , they just don't fit into the Moss Side scene in that area ..... i think i'd rather have seen parkland put in place there to rival nearby Platt Fields.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.