Manchester City v Celtic post match thread

Haha, you beat me to it.

Any time you are in a pub in Boston that is showing football (literally any match in any league or competition) you have a 50% chance of finding at least one person wearing a Celtic shirt and one person wearing a Liverpool shirt (if you go enough, you’ll often see the same person wearing one and then the other on different days).

The Banshee, the official MCFC Supporter’s Club pub in Boston (Dorchester), always had at least one on match days!
True dat.

A bit of a myth, we have more supporters clubs around the world than Celtic and Rangers. Most of the Irish diaspora support United or Liverpool. 40M yanks claim Irish heritage and they sell 700 tickets.I saw them play Madrid in Philadelphia years ago and it was 90% Madrid fans
I'm definitely not comparing them to MU, Liverpool or Real Madrid. Just us.

And I don't think it's a myth that Celtic have had a bigger support than us globally up until our recent success and the PL's global explosion.

City sold 25,000, Celtic 700, yet Andy Townsend still says they are bigger
When I hear a quote like this which I remember I like to analyse the reasons and bias why and in Townsends mind will be his ex clubs Villa and Chelsea being bigger, nothing more nothing less plus the usual Talksport bait operandi.
Not one of the clowns know anything about City pre 2008.

Celtic historically are huge. And are also huge around the world given the historic emigration of Irish and Scots. They would have been a bigger supported club than City for 9/10ths of our history.

But currently it's changing given the growth of City within the growth of the Premier League. City are a runaway train within a runaway train. Times are changing fast and last night showed that.
Nobody’s talking about historically. But this idea Celtic are massive around the globe now is complete bollocks.

A recent social media survey collating total number of social media followers of all global football clubs - put them in 100th place.

99 other football clubs had larger number of followers on social media. Nothing to do with growth of PL - they have been surpassed by everybody around the world.

I made no point for you. You were a needlessly snidey **** and I pointed that out. I know it was a friendly. I was happy with how we played. That’s it. Good momentum building for the new season and hopefully we bring in at least five players to set us up to take a step up. Enjoy your season. I know I will.
I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously. It was a preseason friendly. Not much than a training game. The result was about as relevant as Soccer Aid.

Celtic historically are huge. And are also huge around the world given the historic emigration of Irish and Scots. They would have been a bigger supported club than City for 9/10ths of our history.

But currently it's changing given the growth of City within the growth of the Premier League. City are a runaway train within a runaway train. Times are changing fast and last night showed that.
Celtic and, to a lesser extent, Rangers had big fanbases in North America in the 60s, 70s and 80s but those days are over and that generation has mostly died off. The PL is the dominant force now. There is no global interest in Scottish football nowadays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.