Manchester City v Celtic post match thread

Not a bad turnout, but I reckon that may have been close to a sell out if we hadn't had our off the the field problems. After all the Americans do love to follow a successful team. Lots of factors contributing I suppose, price of tickets, the economy and the fact that most of the first team weren't back yet. Should be better as the tour progresses and the players return.
70 dollars a ticket allegedly

70 dollars a ticket allegedly
If there were some tickets that cheap, they were few and far between. Most of the games on the tour were closer to $100 on the low end. I know at least one of the games had a price of around $160 to sit in the City supporters' section but I can't remember which one. NYC were definitely all over $100 though in general but there's such a big potential audience that I bet it will be pretty decently full.

Sadly I passed on this tour because the ticket prices were just out of control on top of the travel. It would have ended up being probably $1,000 to go to any of the games with the flight, hotel, etc.

As far as the game itself goes.. pretty happy with the way it went. No one seriously injured despite the best efforts of the Celtic players, the fans got to see Haaland score (was expecting him to go off at HT) and a few young players looked very good. Obviously the defense and midfield struggled.. I think Mbete is a decent prospect generally speaking so we'll see what happens with him, but Wilson-Esbrand definitely had a night to forget and it'll torment him for awhile. Unfortunate since their players were in their 4th match and a lot sharper due to it.

My post from the post-match thread sums them up:

Edit: I somehow forgot to mention the officials who were truly woeful, ignoring three penalties for us (two pretty clear ones, the first of which should have seen the Celtic player sent off for DOGSO), one of their goals being given despite being miles offside, numerous wrong decisions for throw ins, and letting the Celtic players continually kick ours (especially toward the end) with nary a stern word.

It’s only a friendly, but add this with all the other issues, and it really made the game feel like an American SoccerAid at times, but with even less polish.
Very strange wasn’t it, we have multi million pound assets getting smashed about the pitch by a bunch of cyborgs over Sean by Sunday league standard O’fishalls

Seems to have been mentioned a few times on here but curious to know how much a ticket roughly cost at last time's game?

Some friends who attended the UNC College American football games over there last season stated it was pretty much packed on a regular basis. Although I'm sure student college game subsidies & a successful season for UNC where their QB Drake Maye subsequently got highly drafted in the NFL were contributing factors to capacity attendances.
Tickets for the 4 games are costing between $110 - $125 to City supporters clubs when they went on sale.
Chapel Hill is a one horse town, not in a densely built up area / corridor like Washington6 DC / Baltimore / Philly.
It is a student town - and guess what? The students have all returned home for the summer.
It looked a very good venue but the isolation of the town (and North Carolina as a whole) made it a very strange choice to play a game

Tickets for the 4 games are costing between $110 - $125 to City supporters clubs when they went on sale.
Chapel Hill is a one horse town, not in a densely built up area / corridor like Washington6 DC / Baltimore / Philly.
It is a student town - and guess what? The students have all returned home for the summer.
It looked a very good venue but the isolation of the town (and North Carolina as a whole) made it a very strange choice to play a game
Exciting game for the few locals

Completely agree. That's basically my point.
Don't want to get too far into that topic but I think it's more to the point that City and the rest of the big 6 overtook like likes of Celtic and Rangers ages ago. Domestically in their country there is Celtic and Rangers, so it's fair to say they are have been a bigger deal in their own country than City have for 9/10ths but when was the last time Scottish football was as relevant globally as English football(has it ever been)? The English game wasn't always global either and the USA if we're focussing on that, has not historically taken to 'soccer' in the numbers it has today. Spurs are bigger than Celtic today IMO.

They cling onto absurd metrics such as the number of supporters clubs or the number of fanatics who have opened bars abroad(Scottish expats supporting Celtic?.. Wow). They can open as many supporters clubs as they like(we have more than Liverpool and United) and 'themed' bars too(bit tacky IMO) it doesn't really mean much though.

Take a look at the TV deals which is as good an indicator of the global interest as any. Scottish football is below Austrian, South African and Indian football on their deals. More in line with A-League(Australia). Though it also says, per game value Scottish Premiership ranks 10th. Probably something to do with the space Sky has for it, since they only show 60.

Anyway, Andy Townsend talks shite. City are definitely far bigger than Celtic globally today. So he can stop taking cheap shots now. I seem to remember he said City are bigger than Arsenal(I'm not sure we are globally yet) and Chelsea(yes) but not Celtic. So they're saying Arsenal are smaller too(who were bigger than them far sooner than we were). Sutton once claimed Celtic reserves are bigger than Leicester as a club too. Is it a cultish-hipster thing people do to appear trendy? They're not even Scottish, I don't get it. What are they even basing it on? It can't be global fans who aren't Scottish or Irish or CL appearances for as long as it's been called the CL. When the game truly went global. Celtic had as many CL appearances as City did in the 90s, if I remember right(zero).

Last edited:
Don't want to get too far into that topic but I think it's more to the point that City and the rest of the big 6 overtook like likes of Celtic and Rangers ages ago. Domestically in their country there is Celtic and Rangers, so it's fair to say they are have been a bigger deal in their own country than City have for 9/10ths but when was the last time Scottish football was as relevant globally as English football(has it ever been)? The English game wasn't always global either and the USA if we're focussing on that, has not historically taken to 'soccer' in the numbers it has today. Spurs are bigger than Celtic today IMO.

They cling onto absurd metrics such as the number of supporters clubs or the number of fanatics who have opened bars abroad(Scottish expats supporting Celtic?.. Wow). They can open as many supporters clubs as they like(we have more than Liverpool and United) and 'themed' bars too(bit tacky IMO) it doesn't really mean much though.

Take a look at the TV deals which is as good an indicator of the global interest as any. Scottish football is below Austrian, South African and Indian football on their deals. More in line with A-League(Australia). Though it also says, per game value Scottish Premiership ranks 10th. Probably something to do with the space Sky has for it, since they only show 60.

Anyway, Andy Townsend talks shite. City are definitely far bigger than Celtic globally today. So he can stop taking cheap shots now. I seem to remember he said City are bigger than Arsenal(I'm not sure we are globally yet) and Chelsea(yes) but not Celtic. Sutton once claimed Celtic reserves are bigger than Leicester as a club too. Is it a cultish-hipster thing people do to appear trendy? They're not even Scottish, I don't get it.
Yeah I think we are all basically agreeing here in different ways. Last nights crowd definitely showed this.

It reminded me of when Celtic played Liverpool at the Aviva in Dublin a few years ago and there were clearly more Liverpool in the crowd by quite a bit.

Again, I'm not arguing with you. They were and now they are not. Did you read what I wrote.

And City have benefited hugely from the explosion of the PL. And the PL has led to domestically big clubs becoming globally big clubs. Of course it has.
It’s not just Premier League though which you seem to keep referring to - they have been surpassed by every other league in world football.

They have been irrelevant for 20+ years and bypassed by so many other teams.

Yeah I think we are all basically agreeing here in different ways. Last nights crowd definitely showed this.

It reminded me of when Celtic played Liverpool at the Aviva in Dublin a few years ago and there were clearly more Liverpool in the crowd by quite a bit.
Yeah, I think City would still lose the crowd battle in Ireland. They absolutely love Celtic there and Liverpool annoyingly. :)

I'm not hating on Celtic or Rangers to be clear(I've got no strong feelings about either club). It's just one of the sticks the anti-City mob use to beat City fans with, that gets annoying, because they make no sense.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.