Manchester traffic

Far too much of the city centre has been pedestrianised or turned into tram tracks without providing a proper ring road.
Developers should be prevented from forcing road or lane closures during building work. For example Whitworth Street from Deansgate being down to one lane at the junction near the City Road Inn.
And get the fucking speed limit on the Parkway back to 40. The new 30 is a joke and most of the accidents before the change were close to the brewery where the limit was already 30.

The speed limit being reduced adds a neglible amount of time to a journey, less than two minutes. Worth it if it saves a life.

I've lives in or near the city centre for a few years now and If there's an accident or to a lesser extent a gig on generally the place is fucked. I'm not even bitter or biased either as I don't have a car anymore cos I don't need one, but it's a problem thay needs sorting yet there doesn't seem to be any plans or intent on sorting it?

theres too many people and manchester isn't built to cope with it. too many people as well on there own in a car. the trains/trams are rammed so its not that people arent using public transport.

I also love how we have developed loads of bike lanes but cyclists still drive on the roads and ignore their designated cycle lane I have paid for for them. To keep them safe.

I say that as someone who sometimes bikes to work and appreciate the safety of a designated lane. Others don’t and clearly have a death wish and want to cause more congestion.
You personally paid for cyclists to "drive" on the designated lanes. I'll pay for something. A copy of The Highway Code. You should read it. Then, once you've read it, have a look at the state of cycling lanes in Manchester. They are abysmal. You paid for them though. You sort them.

Took me one hour to get across the Mancunian way last night and getting home tonight similar.

It would appear to me that the city’s growth is making travelling into the city centre by car almost impossible at times. I am sure it is getting worse.

One thing that struck me tonight was how many people stuck in the traffic only had one person on the car. Surely car sharing clubs are a significant way forward?

Interested to know other peoples expereniances of getting in and out of town and what you think the answer is.
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona at the moment and have just driven on a 6-lane urban freeway (5 standard lanes plus a high-occupancy lane at rush hour). They still have jams & bumper-to-bumper traffic at times but I was laughing with my son about the 6-lane highway compared to the 1-lane highway that is a Bury New Road, a major arterial and commuter route from the City centre to the M60.

I work in H orthwich
Far too much of the city centre has been pedestrianised or turned into tram tracks without providing a proper ring road.
Developers should be prevented from forcing road or lane closures during building work. For example Whitworth Street from Deansgate being down to one lane at the junction near the City Road Inn.
And get the fucking speed limit on the Parkway back to 40. The new 30 is a joke and most of the accidents before the change were close to the brewery where the limit was already 30.

Spot on, far too many bloody traffic lights on the parkway too. I also find getting on and off the Mancunian way a nightmare. The slip roads need widening somehow and filter lanes putting in for the parkway? There are less shortcuts these days due to bloody one way streets.

You personally paid for cyclists to "drive" on the designated lanes. I'll pay for something. A copy of The Highway Code. You should read it. Then, once you've read it, have a look at the state of cycling lanes in Manchester. They are abysmal. You paid for them though. You sort them.

We all paid.

The roads are a mess too with potholes , but if we invest in a designated divide , which I think is a good idea as it makes the roads safer and easier to use for cyclists who aren’t as confident as you then I think it’s right that the division should be adhered to, irrespective of the Highway Code.

I reckon though even if we took up parts of the velodrome track and laid it in the cyclists lanes, some cyclists would still whizz down both sides of the traffic down the roads and shout “oi mate read the Highway Code “

The other thing is on deansgate and other roads the left lane has been turned into left turn only so traffic going straight on has to be in the right lane so it just takes a car to turn right and that’s it grid lock, traffic cannot flow through.

All these new flats being built I expect there are no new roads or car parking being thought about. It’s easier to move around London in a car than Manchester.

We all paid.

The roads are a mess too with potholes , but if we invest in a designated divide , which I think is a good idea as it makes the roads safer and easier to use for cyclists who aren’t as confident as you then I think it’s right that the division should be adhered to, irrespective of the Highway Code.

I reckon though even if we took up parts of the velodrome track and laid it in the cyclists lanes, some cyclists would still whizz down both sides of the traffic down the roads and shout “oi mate read the Highway Code “

The other thing is on deansgate and other roads the left lane has been turned into left turn only so traffic going straight on has to be in the right lane so it just takes a car to turn right and that’s it grid lock, traffic cannot flow through.

All these new flats being built I expect there are no new roads or car parking being thought about. It’s easier to move around London in a car than Manchester.

Too right. Wooden road with all the leaves would be a disaster! :)

The cycle lanes around Manchester are crap. Lines painted on pavements or roads with no divide. Doesn't bother me. They're good for people who want to amble along but I cycle at a 20mph average. I get from Oldham to Manchester quicker on my bike than the car in rush hour and quite possibly the tram. I use the ones at the side of the road if they're clear of debris but otherwise I'm on the road usually getting held up by the sheer volume of cars.

You're right about the flats. I had to drive to Regent Road in Salford the other day, mid morning. Trying to get off Trinity Way to turn right to Regent Road was near impossible. I've not been there for ages. Loads of new flats and seemingly no provision for new infrastructure. I'm quite happy to see town being extended but the public transport needs a huge overhaul.

Too right. Wooden road with all the leaves would be a disaster! :)

The cycle lanes around Manchester are crap. Lines painted on pavements or roads with no divide. Doesn't bother me. They're good for people who want to amble along but I cycle at a 20mph average. I get from Oldham to Manchester quicker on my bike than the car in rush hour and quite possibly the tram. I use the ones at the side of the road if they're clear of debris but otherwise I'm on the road usually getting held up by the sheer volume of cars.

You're right about the flats. I had to drive to Regent Road in Salford the other day, mid morning. Trying to get off Trinity Way to turn right to Regent Road was near impossible. I've not been there for ages. Loads of new flats and seemingly no provision for new infrastructure. I'm quite happy to see town being extended but the public transport needs a huge overhaul.

Bloody hell, you must be fit as a fiddle.

I would love to be able to but defo am an ambler on the occasions i cycle in.

I wonder, given the traffic do any blues cycle to the game if so is there a designated place to put your bike securely?

Bloody hell, you must be fit as a fiddle.

I would love to be able to but defo am an ambler on the occasions i cycle in.

I wonder, given the traffic do any blues cycle to the game if so is there a designated place to put your bike securely?

That's on the flat. Overall for a journey around 17 mph. I do see City fans cycling to the game. There are spaces around the stadium people used to lock them to the railings outside the corporate entrance but I think they've stopped this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.