Manchester v Liverpool

I could never work out why a city which in many respects is full of friendly and humorous people, with many great contributions to culture and art and music, and often with a global outlook born out of a dockside tradition...could also produce some of the most repulsive and obnoxious football scallies you could have the misfortune to encounter on a Saturday.
I suppose all cities show similar characteristics but with Liverpool the dichotomy seems more extreme.

I do believe you've missed out Cardiff? And that comes from a man far closer to Swansea.
Stayed over in Cardiff for the bank holiday weekend when we lost after Pellegrini had just taken over. I was pleasantly surprised by the range of places to visit for drinks/food at night.

I've worked with quite a few Scousers over the years and they've been sound lads, plenty of football banter obviously but nothing malicious. The main problem for me is that LFC have too many seriously weird supporters nowadays - the cult-like behaviour cannot be over-emphasised and a trip to Anfield is much more unpleasant than Goodison nowadays, whereas in the 70s and 80s Goodison probably shaded it. As for the City centres, I'll always be biased towards Manchester but Liverpool has certainly upped its game in the last 10-15 years.

Stayed over in Cardiff for the bank holiday weekend when we lost after Pellegrini had just taken over. I was pleasantly surprised by the range of places to visit for drinks/food at night.

We'd have won that match had Pell started Negredo. Dzeko missed chance after chance before The Beast scored with his first touch.

I've had some great meals in Cardiff over the years. A number of excellent independent restaurants. I stay there for Wales matches usually although my preference is a more rough and ready Swansea. The Cross Keys just off Wind Street is one of my favourite new pubs in years.

This is utter nonsense. It's not even in the top 5 in the UK! Nice place, but no where near as good for a day/night out when compared to other cities in Europe!
Depends what you like ?
Good restaurants good bars live music everywhere and buzzing atmosphere even the pubs are buzzing at lunch time !!
Love Mathew Street, all the bars round Line Street and the ones at the back of St Johns precinct

Some great pubs fringing the centre but the centre itself was tacky last time I visited and seemed aimed at the screeching hen party market.

Is Mathew Street a likely one for the Europa League Final on Friday? I’m staying at the Adelphi.

I went to Everton last season and no problems. Drinking with a mixed crowd in the taxi club and no problems. Thus I would go the Goodison However since the Liverpool coach attack I will no.longer go to the City for a leisurely visit. I stopped pretty much after the abuse of the players at the 2014 game . I used to drive over spasmodically for a change. It's not a comment on the people as a whole but just the way I now feel.

Okay, so I mentioned that Peter Kavangh's is one of my favourite pubs. Egerton Street is a beautiful street as are lots around the Georgian Quarter. My son lived in the old rectory to the church on the corner of Hope Street and Upper Parliament Street, near the beautiful old cathedral, whilst at Uni and he loved his time there. It always felt very safe to me. We obviously visited a lot and had some great nights out with family and it is a fine city. I love the cultural quarter too and me and the wife have days out there as it's only 30 minutes on the train and a change from days out in Manchester.

I get the rivalry but I prefer to take individuals as I find them and not stereotype a city. Liverpool fans are dicks though. :)

A growing hatred for all things red scouse has clouded my judgement more recently, though studied at the poly for three years from '83. Then a year out in london followed by a post grad back in scouseland. Loved my time there, despite scallies firing rockets at the students through drainpipes, being the "novelty students" allowed in Atmosphere (whatsisname's club in birkenhead) and having to resit a year of my post-grad after breaking my arm at Edge Lane skate park.
Great city to be a student in, probe records, planetX, the state, the razz, the cabin, flintlocks. Even used to watch everton from time to time as had some bluescouse mates. Great city to go back to. Redscouse scumoftheearth though...

i think it's the same outlook whichever place you go- don't give it the big one, mind your business and be respectful. manchester is a city i have been going to since the mid 80's. the music scene, fashion, general nightlife has always been spot on- same as liverpool in many ways. i think often in liverpool people put the accent on so much especially kopites, the liverpool accent used to be a softer lennon like tone, now it's a high pitched gerrard/ carragher hybrid. have worked with lots of mancunians over the years, never had a problem, you just have to accept people as they are. i think we have a very similar sense of humour that few other regions can understand or appreciate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.