Mancini out/Mancini in

dctid said:
short of relegation then we must keep Mancini -

Mancini must see out his contract - i never felt that way with Hughes and all the City fans on here need to support the manager for the coming seasons - relegation apart

PMSL at your naivity.

Mancini kept the job by the skin of his teeth lat year and if he fails again this season he'll be gone. Depending on the availability of other managers, by Christmas I'd say.

The Shiekh is not going to keep throwing money at this project without seeing some tangible success. He doesn't care that we lost to York 11 years ago or that some fans are sick of changing managers.

I'd say if we are not comfortably in the top 4 at Christmas he'll be gone.

WE will certainly be more than good enough.

Do I think he'll succeed? I pray he will but I have a gut feeling that he won't.

Top 4 form is mandatory now at the very least or I agree that he will be gone by Crimbo.

BillyShears said:
dctid said:
I think you are going to be a little dissapointed - we will play two holding midfield players with one of them given a little more license to support the forward players (Yaya is my guess as Barry dont have the legs and DJ could not score ina Brothel)

Alot will rest on the front 4 - Spain play with 2 holding midfield players as do Garmany as does Jose - i dont necessarily think two holding midfield players is negative providing that thay can all pass and tackel and get around the park - the reason why we were poor last year was because with a Barry / DJ combo one cant pass / shoot and generally score goals but excellent at breaking up play - Barry just cant get around the pitch and is less effective at breaking up play. Hopefully YaYA will get us moving - but fundamentally he is Italian and that is going to shape our footballing style.

Actually, I can see us playing with 3 central midfield players, with one of them purely holding, and two of them being a little more progressive. What I'm almost certain we won't see, is us playing with 4 attacking players as we did for a large part of last season. It will be two forwards, a creative Silva/Ireland in behind, with the only width being provided by full backs.

I have my doubts as to whether that system will work in the premiership, and it could well be that I'm totally wrong and we see a different system employed by Mancini...

Anyway, we're getting very close to the time when all will become clear...

If we are going to play with 2 holders which I suspect we will, we better buy some decent full backs or it will fail and look all to defensive again.

BillyShears said:
It's highly unlikely we'll see another midseason sacking unless the wheels come off in a truly spectacular fashion, but it won't change the supporters expectations, and I don't see Mancini getting an easy ride just because he's got to blood six new players. He'll have the best playing squad in the world barring maybe only Madrid's come the start of the season. It's neither over ambitious, nor unrealistic to expect us to be comfortably in the mix for the title all season...any negative deviation from that will lead to justifiable calls for his head...

the strength of our squad remains to be seen....I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I think fans naturally over-estimate the strength of their own teams. strongest bar Madrid? What, Barca are selling Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa? this is a club that can afford to let players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Yaya Toure go. We are still at the stage where their nearlies are our diamonds. And they're still signing at least one player the match of anything we (will) have at the club.

Many experts said Inter have a stronger (deeper) squad than Barca, even if they don't have the best player in the world they have the depth. Players like Zanetti are true legends. Bellamy and Kompany wouldn't get within a mile of that bench, let alone Barry, Bridge. Bayern's playing staff is hideously under-rated by the English, guess who had the most players left in the world cup, had the most last week as well? Barca, followed by Bayern. In Bayern's case you could take out the German contingent and still be impressed by the talent they have on show in S.A. Utd and Chelsea are considered on a par with those two. Even poor old Liverpool, Reina, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres... still extremely attractive to us.

Really, who do we have who gets into Barca or Inter team? The only one that seems a good bet would be Tevez at Inter. And that's it baby. The rest aren't there, yet. If we sign Torres, he'd comfortably be our best player... If Barca sign him he becomes their third, maybe fourth.

One day maybe some of our boys will be true legends but it's all to be proven. Don't tell me SWP and Bridge's winner's medals put them on a par with Zanetti and co.

We are on a fast upwards curve. It's easy to mistake velocity for altitude.

"There will be no sacking barring a disaster" and "The calls for his head will be justifiable"? Justifiable, but futile, pointless? I'm not sure which side of the arguments you are coming down on ;)

My opinion is that management is not an exact science. It's oh so easy to point the finger at a manager when it doesn't quite happen, because there's always an example of someone who is 'doing a better job' We look at Mourinho and say, but he never gets it wrong! Even discounting the pure entropy of his last two seasons at Chelsea, oh yes, he does. He made a balls up of his first season at Inter, dumped all his signings, went back to Mancini's line up, started again the season after (and got it very right). We look at Redknapp and say 'but he's created perfect chemistry at Pompey, and now at Spurs'... well, yeah, there's always going to be someone who's smiling, someone for whom everything has come together. It doesn't make the rest incompetent. No wonder the expectations on managers are unrealistic when the press and public can pick whoever is on top at that exact moment as the bench mark.

The ideal blueprint changes like the seasons.... Strict/Light-touch is a complete red-herring, there have been differing approaches to management since hunting was organised.... neither style has ever been proven to work better. You think Ferg is light touch? United isn't a 'harsh enviroment'? LMFAO. I suppose it worked until last season, when their finishing behind Chelsea was a direct result of his overly strict regime.

Someone wins, someone comes close, someone fails miserably. Fail miserably, and you're out, no point keeping you. Come close too often without winning, and you're in danger of looking limited... but the margins between bubbling under, and getting on top, are so fine... you surely have to have something more than just 'nearly is not good enough' in order to make a move. You need it to be demonstrated pretty conclusively, that something the approach is wrong, can't go any further. You have someone ready who demonstrably has the answers to take you on. And you better be right, otherwise you are Tottenham sacking Martin Jol, and you're going backwards.

We got off lightly with Mancini. despite him not being everyone's cup of tea, we didn't by any stretch of the imagination (or stats) go backwards. None of the rhetoric about him being a 'poor-man manager', means a lot unless we start going backwards, or patently, repeatedly, stops us from achieving our goals.

What's expected of him this year, seems pretty clear. If he gets his transfer targets, we have to mount some sort of challenge. Winning in any year relies on a certain amount of things going your way. Winning in your first year with a new team is crazy stuff, it's just not a reasonable expectation to hang on someone. But showing you are better than those beneath you, picking off a couple of teams who were 'above' you... that's reasonable. A good 3rd would do very nicely. Calling for his head when we're 8th after 6 games, that's for the Henry Winters.

Didsbury Dave said:
dctid said:
short of relegation then we must keep Mancini -

Mancini must see out his contract - i never felt that way with Hughes and all the City fans on here need to support the manager for the coming seasons - relegation apart

PMSL at your naivity.

Mancini kept the job by the skin of his teeth lat year and if he fails again this season he'll be gone. Depending on the availability of other managers, by Christmas I'd say.

The Shiekh is not going to keep throwing money at this project without seeing some tangible success. He doesn't care that we lost to York 11 years ago or that some fans are sick of changing managers.

I'd say if we are not comfortably in the top 4 at Christmas he'll be gone.

WE will certainly be more than good enough.

Do I think he'll succeed? I pray he will but I have a gut feeling that he won't.

Not naivety and i agree with your sentiments but just responding ot the OP.

If this happens we will never win fook all - because the next manager that comes in will want his own players and we will have to start all over again. We wont replace Mancini with a Hidink or a Mouriniho instead it would be someone of a very similar standing. At some point this club will have to back a manager through thick and thin no matter what.

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:
Well nothing explains 'why' better than success. Capello's man-management style and communication skills were a 'success' when England were winning and not so hot when England didn't

Besides no one is saying that Mancini is 'Mr warm and fuzzy'. Mancini is manifestly not an overly sympathetic character who goes out of his way to endear himself. I have repeatedly said that this season its going to be a harsh environment and there will be players who are less than keen. Tevez being one of them. But then lets hope that Tevez having gotten himself in shape for the WC has realised the benefits of a professional attitude to his trade :)

Anyway we will all know soon enough whether Mancini and his team can deliver what we want. Attractive and successful football. Although I will settle for 'successful' in the short term. Its going to be a big ask but Mancini is a big boy and knows the score

I don't see the benefit in being in a management role and not being adaptable to the situations you find yourself in. Nobody wants to work in a "harsh environment" - not in football and not in any other profession.

I actually don't see how it's a big ask to get the team playing attractive and successful football when you have the resources player wise at your disposal that Mancini will have come the start of the upcoming season...

By 'harsh' I am talking 'mentality'. The 'top 4' or the elite of European football is a demanding and harsh place in which to thrive. Its a different mentality, a different discipline and only the best and/or the most committed survive. Its not comfortable and nor should it be. Its not one week you play your best and the next two the standards drop. It is about hard work and everyone knowing their job and being drilled according on the training pitch. Its relentless and you have to be on your game week in, week out.

Hughes talked about this and his diagnosis of the problem at City was not wrong even if I didn't think he was the guy to provide the solution. That Mancini has the resources to provide attractive and successful football is obvious but I am not expecting it all the time. There are times when grinding out a result will be what matters. Ultimately I want success and then I want flair and success.

Chick Counterfly said:
We got off lightly with Mancini. despite him not being everyone's cup of tea, we didn't by any stretch of the imagination (or stats) go backwards. None of the rhetoric about him being a 'poor-man manager', means a lot unless we start going backwards, or patently, repeatedly, stops us from achieving our goals.

What's expected of him this year, seems pretty clear. If he gets his transfer targets, we have to mount some sort of challenge. Winning in any year relies on a certain amount of things going your way. Winning in your first year with a new team is crazy stuff, it's just not a reasonable expectation to hang on someone. But showing you are better than those beneath you, picking off a couple of teams who were 'above' you... that's reasonable. A good 3rd would do very nicely. Calling for his head when we're 8th after 6 games, that's for the Henry Winters.

YOu make some reasonable points.

We didn't go backwards under Mancini but we didnt go forwards either.

It's make or break for him. I think the Skeikh expects a title challenge this year. 3rd would represent good progress, of course, but I think our playing squad will be as good as anyone's.

Didsbury Dave said:
Chick Counterfly said:

It's make or break for him. I think the Skeikh expects a title challenge this year. 3rd would represent good progress, of course, but I think our playing squad will be as good as anyone's.

Its make or break every season for the managers who manage the top clubs. One bad season and invariably you are toast. Mancini's position is no different.

BobKowalski said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Its make or break every season for the managers who manage the top clubs. One bad season and invariably you are toast. Mancini's position is no different.

No way.

I'd put it to you that if REdknapp, Ferguson, Hodgeson, Ancellotti and probably WEnger were failing, they'd keep their jobs all year.

I don't believe Mancini will have that luxury.

Chick Counterfly said:
the strength of our squad remains to be seen....I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I think fans naturally over-estimate the strength of their own teams. strongest bar Madrid? What, Barca are selling Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa? this is a club that can afford to let players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Yaya Toure go. We are still at the stage where their nearlies are our diamonds. And they're still signing at least one player the match of anything we (will) have at the club.

Many experts said Inter have a stronger (deeper) squad than Barca, even if they don't have the best player in the world they have the depth. Players like Zanetti are true legends. Bellamy and Kompany wouldn't get within a mile of that bench, let alone Barry, Bridge. Bayern's playing staff is hideously under-rated by the English, guess who had the most players left in the world cup, had the most last week as well? Barca, followed by Bayern. In Bayern's case you could take out the German contingent and still be impressed by the talent they have on show in S.A. Utd and Chelsea are considered on a par with those two. Even poor old Liverpool, Reina, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres... still extremely attractive to us.

Really, who do we have who gets into Barca or Inter team? The only one that seems a good bet would be Tevez at Inter. And that's it baby. The rest aren't there, yet. If we sign Torres, he'd comfortably be our best player... If Barca sign him he becomes their third, maybe fourth.

One day maybe some of our boys will be true legends but it's all to be proven. Don't tell me SWP and Bridge's winner's medals put them on a par with Zanetti and co.

We are on a fast upwards curve. It's easy to mistake velocity for altitude.

I take your point, and accept it was an exaggeration on my part to say we'll have the best squad in the world. However, lets narrow the field. We'll have arguably the best squad in the premiership - certainly in my eyes.

"There will be no sacking barring a disaster" and "The calls for his head will be justifiable"? Justifiable, but futile, pointless? I'm not sure which side of the arguments you are coming down on ;)

It's pretty simple. I don't see Mancini getting sacked mid-season unless we're languishing in mid-table. However, that won't mean that if we're 4th with no daylight between us and the chasing pack, and also 15 points plus off the top of the league, that calls for Mancini's head won't be justifiable. Just because you have faith in his methods, it doesn't automatically equate that the rest of our supporter base ( and not just the knee jerk kids ) will have that faith.

My opinion is that management is not an exact science. It's oh so easy to point the finger at a manager when it doesn't quite happen, because there's always an example of someone who is 'doing a better job' We look at Mourinho and say, but he never gets it wrong! Even discounting the pure entropy of his last two seasons at Chelsea, oh yes, he does. He made a balls up of his first season at Inter, dumped all his signings, went back to Mancini's line up, started again the season after (and got it very right). We look at Redknapp and say 'but he's created perfect chemistry at Pompey, and now at Spurs'... well, yeah, there's always going to be someone who's smiling, someone for whom everything has come together. It doesn't make the rest incompetent. No wonder the expectations on managers are unrealistic when the press and public can pick whoever is on top at that exact moment as the bench mark.

Nobody is saying that management is an exact science, however just as there will always be better players out there, there will always be better managers out there. It stands to reason that when things aren't going right, people will point at the success other managers are having. Plus Mourinho may not ALWAYS get everything right, but he does ALWAYS over a short period of time get his teams to perform his way, and successfully.

The ideal blueprint changes like the seasons.... Strict/Light-touch is a complete red-herring, there have been differing approaches to management since hunting was organised.... neither style has ever been proven to work better. You think Ferg is light touch? United isn't a 'harsh enviroment'? LMFAO. I suppose it worked until last season, when their finishing behind Chelsea was a direct result of his overly strict regime.

Someone wins, someone comes close, someone fails miserably. Fail miserably, and you're out, no point keeping you. Come close too often without winning, and you're in danger of looking limited... but the margins between bubbling under, and getting on top, are so fine... you surely have to have something more than just 'nearly is not good enough' in order to make a move. You need it to be demonstrated pretty conclusively, that something the approach is wrong, can't go any further. You have someone ready who demonstrably has the answers to take you on. And you better be right, otherwise you are Tottenham sacking Martin Jol, and you're going backwards.

Plenty of logic in what your saying, but also plenty of things wrong IMO. Ferguson has adapted over the years and has tempered his harshness with an ability to adapt to the changing needs of the players he has. Keane and RVN were jettisoned because they couldn't deal with Ronaldo's burgeoning influence on the team, and were IIRC bullying him to a certain extent. Mourinho is seen as the ultimate combination of man management ability and tactical awareness. Same with Wenger. Same with Ferguson. Modern successful managers will need to have the ability to motivate and manage a large group of very wealthy and often maladjusted young men. That's why the methods of manager like Capello, Benitez, et al are beginning to seem so outdated. Again just my opinion.

I see your point totally about how the Jol situation was a fine example of being "nearly" there, and seeing it as not good enough and sacking him, only to go backwards again.

No we didn't go backwards, but we also didn't see any particularly significant jump in overall results. Not only that, but he didn't achieve his goal of finishing in the top 4, and ultimately, for whatever reasons, couldn't get the performance required in the key matches. Now, there's plenty of mitigating circumstances, and as such nobody that I recall called for Mancini's head.

The knee jerk calls for his head aside, it will be where we are around Christmas and around the time that Hughes was sacked, that will shape what kind of support Mancini gets from the supporters, and also from the board and owners. He's going to have spent nearly as much money as Hughes, and will have had a similar amount of time in charge, so expectations of progress will be similar too...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.