Mancini out/Mancini in

Don't doubt for one minute that if Mourinho hadn't done a U-turn Saint Bob would have been looking for a job right now.

Didsbury Dave said:
Don't doubt for one minute that if Mourinho hadn't done a U-turn Saint Bob would have been looking for a job right now.

Its time to let it go. You were wrong. It happens.

although i didnt like the Hughes out period you simply cannot spend £150 million pounds over a year and win 1 in 10 games including a loss to a team that finished above us and drawing at home to 2 relegated teams. Its not even mid table form. And for that he had to go because something was just not right

Prestwich_Blue said:
BobKowalski said:
Its time to let it go. You were wrong. It happens.
He wasn't wrong though. You were. It happens.

I don't recall stating that Jose would be the new manager in the summer. I do recall saying that I thought Mancini would continue in the job. As I said some people need to let it go. There is no point in rehashing predictions that turned out to be incorrect.

Gary James said:
Damocles said:
but we do have a history. Billy Meredith might be part of our shared Mancunian history; luckily though, Bert Trautman is all ours. We had Hyde Road, then Maine Road and used to put a hundred thousand fans in them. From Tom Maley through to Wilf Wild. From Les McDowell to Joe Mercer. From Tony Book to Roberto Mancini. Our history stretches back 120 years, and is full of ups and down, bankruptcies and riches, relegations and successes. I implore you guys to pick up a Gary James' book and immerse yourselves in our long and interesting history. So next time the rags come at you with a "you have no history" remark, you can say something better than "so what?".

It's funny actually - the reason I started writing about City in the late 80s is because I went into several bookshops in Manchester (Sherratt & Hughes, WHS, Waterstones, Dillons, Wilshaws, Hatchards - almost all gone now!) and couldn't find a book on City, but I saw shelves full of books on Utd, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal.

So I wrote because I felt our stories needed to be out there (the only City history book available in the mid 80s was Andy Ward's 96 page Manchester City Story; I loved it, but it was the only book that had been published between 1969 and 1984 telling our history; and prior to that there had been a book in the 30s and one in the late 60s, plus a few player biogs and the Peter Gardner books).

In 1997 Manchester The Greatest City came out and that sold out (about 5,000 copies) within a year. At the time, it was the most detailed football club history of all time (all clubs, not just City) but significantly City were enduring their worst spell on the pitch.

Now things are looking extremely positive for City I wonder what place our history actually has. I've realised that a lot of supporters have no interest in where we've come from, and I guess that's fine. I didn't really care about City's history before the 80s. Maybe that was because of my age at the time, or maybe it was because City were a power. It was only when we lost our position that history seemed relevant.

Personally, of course, I do know now that history is very important because it teaches us so much about the present as well as the past. When I attend games I still have questions in my head that I am determined to find answers to; when I read Bluemoon I see so many people ask questions that our history answers - why do we wear Blue (I know some think it's because of the Masons, but there's no proof and we wore Royal Blue and White stripes before we selected Cambridge Blue in the 1890s)?; was Meredith more Blue than Red?; what does the eagle mean?; were we the last all-English team to win a European trophy; what's the significance of our maroon away shirt?; Who selected red & black stripes? How great were we before Swales?: What record is 84,569? How great was Trautmann/Bell/Swift/Meredith/Revie/Watson/Summerbee/Dickov/Lake? Which was the first Manchester side to win a major trophy? and so on.

I know this isn't about the Mancini in/Out business but it is relevant to Damocles well-put comments. At various times in our history we have wanted different things. When we seemed dead and buried in the mid-late 90s we knew we had to give Joe Royle time (we may have been unhappy with his decision not to play Kinkladze, but we knew he had our best interests at heart); now we feel as if success is coming and we can't wait. I think that's why the manager (whoever that is at the time because there will always be someone unhappy) becomes a topic many people have a strong view on.

Sorry for waffling on. I guess the point I'm trying to make is - when we struggle we focus on our history; when we find success we tend to put it to one side. It's natural (think about how many times people have written on here that a United fan doesn't 'know' his club's history).

Think about how strong our story would be if we found success AND remembered our history.
When talking of history and the mistakes we seem to make, over and over. I'm interested Gary in your view of what the club's biggest single mistake has been, letting the rags use Maine Rd after the war???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.