Mancini's poor CL pedigree - Cause for concern?

Journalists are paid to write. I think the article lacks logic: Mancini failed (to win the CL) before, so Mancini will continue to fail (to win the CL) is a fallacious argument.

I didn't think we would win the CL this year, so am pleased we went out at this stage - gives us a realistic chance to win the EL. It was a very tough group and, at the end of the day, we acquitted ourselves well with 10pts. A good run in the EL and qualification for the CL next year should see us with a higher European coefficient, a higher seeding and an easier group. I can wait until next year for the good CL run when we have a more experienced team squad - and manager.

i luv bobby manc! the guys a winner you can see it in his face i think hes been superb, the way he walked into a shitstorm at first and come out the other side with dignity and more importantly with the team knowing whos boss.

ime still pinchin mi self how well were doin but i really think were not even in top gear yet! as regards to the champs league its simple really we had the worst group and fuked up v napoli at home, other groups we would hav qualified i thought we we excellent last nite and its only cemented my belief that we will win the league.

Certainly not concerned, if he wins us 3 Premier League titles and is struggling for CL pedigree I might start thinking about it.

Why are people so obsessed with winning the champions league ? We have a great manager who is winning things so why does it have to be all or nothing ? I couldn't give a fuck if he never wins it as long as we continue to compete at the highest level and play the way we are currently. He needs more appreciation IMO

Not concerned at all.

10 points in the hardest group.
In reality we failed to beat Napoli at home and get a point away.

Mancini will learn from these games.

Next year we will win it!

bobmcfc said:
Why are people so obsessed with winning the champions league ? We have a great manager who is winning things so why does it have to be all or nothing ? I couldn't give a fuck if he never wins it as long as we continue to compete at the highest level and play the way we are currently. He needs more appreciation IMO

This^^

Mancini will get better with time.

So much knee jerk around here with Mancini's euro record, and for what? We got 10 points and with that on another day would have seen us go through 6/8 of the groups and win 2/3 of the groups.
We played and beat last year's champs league runner's up!

Marvin said:
Jack74 said:
Why post that ?
I think we went out for a few reasons:
2) Inexperience

I don't think that you were an inexperienced team as you had many players who previously played the Champions League (Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Tourè...) while Napoli had only 3 players (Pandev [played less than 90' in CL], Dossena, De Sanctis) and also the fact that it was your first time in Champions League is just an excuse, Napoli played the CL after 21 years and I think it does not make any difference with 40 - 50 years of absence as the teams have completely changed since then.

Neapoli7 said:
Marvin said:
Jack74 said:
Why post that ?
I think we went out for a few reasons:
2) Inexperience

I don't think that you were an inexperienced team as you had many players who previously played the Champions League (Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Tourè...) while Napoli had only 3 players (Pandev [played less than 90' in CL], Dossena, De Sanctis) and also the fact that it was your first time in Champions League is just an excuse, Napoli played the CL after 21 years and I think it does not make any difference with 40 - 50 years of absence as the teams have completely changed since then.

we went out because we conceded 2 soft goals to you in Naples, but fair play to you because you were better than us in those 2 games and you deserved to go through.

I thought Mancini messed up with his selection in Munich but I dont think he can be held responsible for the Napoli results. I dont go along with the theory that he can be a great manager in the PL and a crap one in CL.

Mancini's strength is in developing players and the team over a period of time. In our case the improvements he made to our defense and overall organisation in his first few months were particularly impressive. And he has built on that since. He's shown his tactical awareness in the way he evolved from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 to the current 4-2-variable.

He's the sort of manager who's team will have good days and bad days, because he does try to change things and not all changes will come off. But overall the team will get better. His mantra is the need to continually improve and that's what I think he makes happen as a manager.

What is important is that we played the best and gave a good account of ourselves. We put 10 points on the board against top opposition. Look at the piss easy groups some of the top teams had ? We can be proud of it all, every second and we will be back again and again with beautiful football. the trophy is trivial.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.