Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
The biggest mistake our club performed was off the pitch. Handing contracts to players who had served their purpose but was time to move on.

Disagree. We lowered their wage which allowed us to bring in new signings, and we ensured that we're not in a position where a potential £20m player like Dzeko or Nasri could just walk away on a free after a year.

Those new contracts were the finest piece of business this club has done post-takeover. We actually acted like a competent business for once.

Thats one thing I don't get. The new contracts were supposed to be lower weekly wage but much higher performance related bonuses. Surely the players would be busting a gut to play well as at the moment they are just shafting themselves out of more money.

I can't believe some of the emotional outbursts on here. I understand the collective that none of us a happy with the current team performances. We have a very strong squad but aren't playing at our potential. This comes down to the individual players and how the operate as a team which is down to the manager and coaches in training and during the match.

To call out two of the guys who the club employ to oversee some of the club affairs and call them "Spanish wankers" seems extreme to me. I know from going to matches that we always have idiots there who will boo either the entire team or particular players no matter how well or poorly they play. This issue some City "fans" have with the quoted holistic approach also seems like an over reaction to me and childish. Look at where we are now and the club we've become compared to where we've been for the past 50 odd years. Never before have we had a plan for long term success, and our setup isn't reactionary unlike at Chelsea where a manager is lucky to get a third season these days.

Pellegrini will only go either if he says he can't fix what is wrong or if the club give him a timeframe to halt the slide and he shows no signs of turning things around. Otherwise I'm sure Pellegrini will last at least until summer if not see out his contract.

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
The biggest mistake our club performed was off the pitch. Handing contracts to players who had served their purpose but was time to move on.

Disagree. We lowered their wage which allowed us to bring in new signings, and we ensured that we're not in a position where a potential £20m player like Dzeko or Nasri could just walk away on a free after a year.

Those new contracts were the finest piece of business this club has done post-takeover. We actually acted like a competent business for once.

We didn't actually lower their wage, the money just got a bit more creative.

Dzeko and Nasri were still marketable this summer, in relation to what they had left on their deals.

As it is, they will be a year older and we have made it even more difficult to move them on. Nobody can afford to pay their wages.

I've likened it to treading water, because of the restrictions, but the club don't appear to be getting away with it where it really matters this season, on the pitch.

hgblue said:
blueinsa said:
We could give the job to anyone right now and he will face the same issues 12-18 months down the line.

We have fundemental issues in our squad and recruitment policies that need to be addressed going forward to give anyone a chance of really becoming succesful.

Khaldoon and Mansour have some thinking to do.

Not so sure I go along with this. Take a look at what Mourinho has done at Chelsea. Fans favourites like Luiz and Mata sold. Top quality additions like Matic, Fabregas and Costa. Just look at them now.

Mou given the tools he wants to do the job. Pellegrini and Bob before him handed players by a boardroom collective that are neither good enough or wanted.

We have to decide as a club how we play this out going forward. Txiki will earn his corn if we go down the galactico route and any coach we have is given the finest players in the world to work with but if we dont do that but still insist on giving blokes makitas instead of de walts to coin a phrase that they really dont fancy then we will see the cycle we are in carrying on.

If not you have to trust the manager with money and let them build their own teams which negates Txiki imo.

Pellegrini isn't entirely blameless but the players will have to decide whether they want to top their lower basic salary with the incentives written into their contracts. Trophies and a good run in the Champions League is the only way to activate the clause. If they are just happy to collect their wage then they should be moved on.

rewatching the match its clear that our entire left side has collapsed (which is frankly an insane scenario) and nearly all our opponents attacks originate from this area.

Pellers will have to be extremely creative in addressing this and this'll define him as a manager. Does he keep throwing the same players on as he has and hope it clicks or does he trust players to play out of position? (no chance he trusts youth, he's proved as much)

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Dzeko and Nasri were still marketable this summer, in relation to what they had left on their deals.

As it is, they will be a year older and we have made it even more difficult to move them on. Nobody can afford to pay their wages.

I've likened it to treading water, because of the restrictions, but the club don't appear to be getting away with it where it really matters this season, on the pitch.

But as you say on the Dzeko and Nasri front, their worth was fine in the past summer but the power would have shifted to them enormously if we would have left it to this summer. We didn't have the money to replace them this year due to our financial limitations set in place by UEFA, we essentially would have to had replaced them for what they would have sold for, which I don't think could have been done.

And people can afford to pay their wages. We got Emmanuel Adebayor and Wayne Bridge off the books, I'm sure we can handle Nasri and Dzeko and the like. They are by no means shit players and most people have been taken in by the media myth that we have an "old" squad which is complete bollocks. Nasri and Dzeko are both moving into their prime as players

The Manchester City boss will be told his job is safe by the club's owners, but will not be able to strengthen his squad significantly after a slow start to the season

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3908...nsider-pellegrini-dealt-january-transfer-blow

PELLEGRINI DEALT TRANSFER BLOW

Manuel Pellegrini will be given limited transfer funds by the club's owners in January.

Pellegrini will be told in a meeting next week that the owners still have faith in his ability to work with technical director Txiki Begiristain.

But the Chilean will also be told there will be little cash to spend because primary transfer targets, Marco Reus and Ross Barkley, are not for sale in January.

City have already explored the possibility of signing both players and are aware of the availability of the majority of their targets.

Pellegrini is hoping City will be able to keep hold of Frank Lampard, on loan from New York City FC, at the club until mid-March ahead of the new MLS season.

The Premier League champions are also weighing up a January move for Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez, but are keeping tabs on his progress after a cruciate ligament injury.

Pellegrini is seen by the Abu Dhabi Group as having the character to keep his head and have acknowledged how much last summer's World Cup has also impacted on his squad and pre-season preparations.

- By Paul Clennam
GUIDETTI SET FOR NEW MAN CITY DEAL

John Guidetti could be offered a shock new deal to stay at Manchester City.

The Academy graduate, 22, is out of contract in the summer and Celtic, who have taken the Sweden international on loan, are keen to make his stay at Parkhead permanent.

Guidetti has impressed in the Scottish Premiership and was voted the Scottish Player of the Month for October after scoring nine goals in nine games last week.

City are demanding around £3 million from Celtic to agree a deal in January and prevent another club signing the striker on a Bosman.

But the Premier League champions are also weighing up an offer of a new contract for the forward.

Guidetti earns around £22,000 per week and the Blues are prepared to double that figure if the player makes it clear he would like to commit.

City feel Guidetti's true value is closer to £7m and Celtic will not be able to match the wages City can offer.

Signing Guidetti to a new contract would allow City to either give the striker a first team opportunity, or cash in on the 22-year-old at a later date.

- By Paul Clennam

Mister Appointment said:
blueinsa said:
moomba said:
Sacking the manager alone does nothing. We're in a worrying cycle at the moment and I think how we deal with it defines the club in a way. Good year, players down tools, sack manager, rinse, repeat. It's not the way to build the club.

I'm not saying that MP has to stay, he'll live or die on the results he gets. But to me theres more to it, and I reckon it's unacceptable that we have pissed away two seasons of the past three by Christmas.

Completely agree. There is far more at play and going on here apart from the manager.

Yeah me too and the constant in those season has been the players rather than the manager.

You can add me to the list but my concerns about player mentality have been aired often enough.

I think we are in a very difficult spot and by that I mean the whole club; however, it will likely be the manager that is first to pay the price.

TBH, I couldn't say what the problem is. I can speculate for myself and read what others think but I cannot come to a definitive conclusion. Someone at the club needs to identify the problem; make that problems: this will be an amalgam of things and devise some solutions.

I am not convinced that the (immediate) solution is to fire the manager but I do think that we need the next manager to have the stature that impresses the players - and whiny arsed supporters - before he walks through the door. That severely limits the candidates fit to takeover.

I said the other week that every game for City is a big game but I fail to see that our players get that and I am convinced that we need to make some significant changes to the playing staff and in our approach to recruitment. Since the debacle of the the close season following the "first" title win, our buying has left something to be desired - although even before it was not fully satisfying in my eyes - but we did do enough to produce another title win. The jury is still out on last summer but we did attempt to address some of the main weaknesses in the squad. We have not been helped by FFP but underlying that, the club's approach may have been to attempt better financial husbandry. However, you view the financial backdrop, questions can still be asked about how not insubstantial sums were spent. Those question need to be directed above the manager but also at the scouting network.

Although, I think we need to change several players, I think there has been much overreaction on here - about many things - and we need to remember that we had a squad capable of winning the title last season. I also think we have certain players that get far too much stick, players who certain supporters will just use any opportunity to bash. Nasri and Yaya being prime examples. Nasri has not been properly fit, due to an injury that required an operation, since early preseason so he needs time to see if he can recapture the form he showed before the nasty injury he go last season.

What needs to happen is that any bad apples are removed from the dressing room if in fact there are any and some of the weaker members of the squad need to be replaced with absolute top quality new players. A few choice signings could help to bring out the best of the rest. The recruitment also needs to take the squad towards the type of players best suited to how the club wants to play: I do think it is lacking in that regard and that in itself is has been a challenge for the manager to try and work around. I think he has tried to adapt to that but it is fair to ask if he has done enough in that regard? Ultimately his job is to get the best out of what he has at his disposal and that is not happening at this moment and he will be held accountable. I do think he merits more time to put things right. Having all his best players fit at the same time might help.

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Damocles said:

But as you say on the Dzeko and Nasri front, their worth was fine in the past summer but the power would have shifted to them enormously if we would have left it to this summer. We didn't have the money to replace them this year due to our financial limitations set in place by UEFA, we essentially would have to had replaced them for what they would have sold for, which I don't think could have been done.

And people can afford to pay their wages. We got Emmanuel Adebayor and Wayne Bridge off the books, I'm sure we can handle Nasri and Dzeko and the like. They are by no means shit players and most people have been taken in by the media myth that we have an "old" squad which is complete bollocks. Nasri and Dzeko are both moving into their prime as players

Mate, City were forced to continue paying the majority of the wages for both Adebayor and Bridge at other clubs, just to move them out.

Opinions on players are always subjective and both Nasri and Dzeko played big parts last season.

Mine was that those two don't have the right attitude or consistent application to be long-term beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.