Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the comparisons about "would you sack x if they..." and "what about Pardew..." etc. However, hand on heart, what has anybody seen this season so far that has genuinely made them think "he's definitely going to turn this around."?

What is it you are all seeing this season so far that someone like me seems to have missed (not that I'm in anyway implying I'm any sort of expert so could not have missed it in the first place - just genuinely need convincing it's all gonna come good)?

strongbowholic said:
I understand the comparisons about "would you sack x if they..." and "what about Pardew..." etc. However, hand on heart, what has anybody seen this season so far that has genuinely made them think "he's definitely going to turn this around."?

What is it you are all seeing this season so far that someone like me seems to have missed (not that I'm in anyway implying I'm any sort of expert so could not have missed it in the first place - just genuinely need convincing it's all gonna come good)?

I'm suggesting that from what I have seen last season and in his career over a whole he easily has the ability to turn this around.

Why would you limit that question purely to a few games?

Damocles said:
strongbowholic said:

I'm suggesting that from what I have seen last season and in his career over a whole he easily has the ability to turn this around.

I've made it that narrow as last season whilst we clearly won on merit as does every side who does (bar the rags who cheated their way to every one :)) ) it was a very close run thing.

Chelsea strengthened significantly and have hit the ground running so they are the current benchmark. We've clearly not hit the ground running and are having a major wobble.

We've not hit anything like the heights of last season so far (in terms of play etc) and whilst a game or two can be forgiven, when it comes to this size of wobble with no current discernible improvement so far I ask the question as I'm not sure I can see it happening.

Damocles said:
strongbowholic said:

Exactly.

Not really much else that can be said.

Also it's important to acknowledge that this is the first real blip Pellegrini has had at City. I don't know what it speaks to that so many supporters actually want him to be sacked. What have we become?

Mister Appointment said:
ManCityX said:
We have to be really really careful of the thought of 'we've gone backwards'. You could argue that every single time we don't win a trophy.

I don't want us to become a club where we want the manager sacked every time we don't win the league.

What if next season we sign 3 world class players and win the league for the 3rd time in 5 years under Pellegrini, while getting to the CL 1/4 finals? We can't be judging the manager from 3 bad months in an overall very good time in charge.

FFP has prevented us from being in for Di Maria, Sanchez and Fabregas. We would surely have got one of them without the restrictions.

This is the season where we are feeling the 'pinch'. This is the worst it is going to get for a long time. The shackles are off next season and we will be able to spend around £100 million a year on new players while still being in the black.

Sure, this season has felt shit so far but top teams who don't win the league always say it's shit when they're not winning every week. Some United fans always used to say Fergie was finished every year they didn't win the league.

Would today's fans want Mercer sacked for only winning the FA Cup in 69? Would they want him sacked for only winning the League Cup/Cup Winners Cup in 70?

Allow time to have its day and not shoot our own after a bad period. Things WILL get better.

This thread needs more posts like this. Counter balance the obvious trolling by some.

I concur.

Without the FFP restrictions we might have bought all three. Doing that could instantly have turned us into a 4-3-3 side (not that Pellers is a 4-3-3 man).

Imagine a front three of Sanchez, Aguero, Di Maria with three out of Fabregas, Silva, Yaya and the Fern Bros behind them. It would certainly be exciting to watch. Not suggesting that is a perfect solution but it is the sort of thing I believe that the club needs to do next summer.

Damocles said:
strongbowholic said:

Another might do things differently and there are cases for doing so but there is absolutely no guarantee that another manager will get more out of these players but every chance that they can recover their form under Manuel.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
ManCityX said:
We have to be really really careful of the thought of 'we've gone backwards'. You could argue that every single time we don't win a trophy.

I don't want us to become a club where we want the manager sacked every time we don't win the league.

What if next season we sign 3 world class players and win the league for the 3rd time in 5 years under Pellegrini, while getting to the CL 1/4 finals? We can't be judging the manager from 3 bad months in an overall very good time in charge.

FFP has prevented us from being in for Di Maria, Sanchez and Fabregas. We would surely have got one of them without the restrictions.

This is the season where we are feeling the 'pinch'. This is the worst it is going to get for a long time. The shackles are off next season and we will be able to spend around £100 million a year on new players while still being in the black.

Sure, this season has felt shit so far but top teams who don't win the league always say it's shit when they're not winning every week. Some United fans always used to say Fergie was finished every year they didn't win the league.

Would today's fans want Mercer sacked for only winning the FA Cup in 69? Would they want him sacked for only winning the League Cup/Cup Winners Cup in 70?

Allow time to have its day and not shoot our own after a bad period. Things WILL get better.

This thread needs more posts like this. Counter balance the obvious trolling by some.

I concur.

Without the FFP restrictions we might have bought all three. Doing that could instantly have turned us into a 4-3-3 side (not that Pellers is a 4-3-3 man).

Imagine a front three of Sanchez, Aguero, Di Maria with three out of Fabregas, Silva, Yaya and the Fern Bros behind them. It would certainly be exciting to watch. Not suggesting that is a perfect solution but it is the sort of thing I believe that the club needs to do next summer.
Which is why I believe he will be given the chance to do something without the restriction of FFP.

OB1 said:
I concur.

I fully expect Sheikh Mansour to make a statement next summer with regards the ambitions the club has long term. Only way he can really do that is by giving the manager the tools he requires to upgrade the squad and make it more competitive in the CL.

Damocles said:
strongbowholic said:

It's hard to imagine a side containing Zabaleta, Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero and Milner, plus a supporting cast most Prem managers would give their right arms for not stringing a run of results together, and comfortably finishing in the top 3. However, with this squad of players we should be fighting for the title with Chelsea, and qualifying from our Champs League group.

ManCityX said:

This is a good post

But lets not confuse disliking Pellegrini and wanting him sacked, with the notion of wondering whether he is capable of taking us forward

I do think he is a good manager, just not capable of taking us to where the club want to go, but I think that we know that and so do the club

This international break has come at a good time, it gives everyone a chance to take stock and get a plan in place to get our season kick started

One thing I will say about the team and the manager is that it doesn't help losing half your squad on 3 occasions out of 10 weeks due to the international breaks, added to the lack of pre season that they had together

Hopefully we can get on a bit of a run now which we all know we are capable of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.