Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is starting to read a lot better than it has done. There's no one reason things have gone to pot and there's no single solution either. I said even last season that this one would be tough. I didn't think any team would cope with things well and I am surprised just how consistent Chelsea have been. I would attribute a lot of weight on the toll of last season and the world cup on our players. Things were tough last season. We had a really busy time with a lot of tough games and mentally and physically I believe that took a lot out of players.

It's hard in life to pick yourself up sometimes. It doesn't really matter what you do as a job, if things have been tough and stressful it can take a lot out of you. The players aren't performing to the same level as you would expect them to. Whereas Chelsea have been able to hit the ground running, we've struggled to show our quality. Combine that with FFP and our inability to sign players we would happily have at the club and things are tricky. Whilst I want City to win every game, I am glad that Pellegrini played 4-2-3-1 on the weekend as it can put to bed this "4-4-2 is the problem" statement that people have made and also the "clueless Pellegrini" jibes. Tactically he may have made some errors but I think he has made several decisions this season in order to try and improve form and performances. Ahead of the Manchester derby he chose to try and pick the side up from Moscow away and West Ham away by picking a strong side for the Newcastle league cup game. It was risking an injury to key players but it was all done in an attempt to get things to click. Last season the league cup seemed to help spark the side into life.

This International break has come at a good time in my opinion. We've several players who won't feature and many who will not play competitive games. It allows some rest mentally at least. Get them back together and try and get them to implement our gameplan and the pressing game as we did last season.

Man for man our squad isn't worse than Chelsea's. Without the valuable assets they have had which allowed Costa, Fabregas and Matic to arrive for little or no financial loss, we have to deal with a different way of life. If we can spark into life and get to the knockouts of the CL that would be a huge boost. It would allow the board to go and splash the cash and give us an injection of quality that can help freshen the squad. We can't rest on our laurels and there are still areas for improvement. I do believe that Pellegrini can turn this around though.

Prestwich_Blue said:
OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
This thread needs more posts like this. Counter balance the obvious trolling by some.

I concur.

Without the FFP restrictions we might have bought all three. Doing that could instantly have turned us into a 4-3-3 side (not that Pellers is a 4-3-3 man).

Imagine a front three of Sanchez, Aguero, Di Maria with three out of Fabregas, Silva, Yaya and the Fern Bros behind them. It would certainly be exciting to watch. Not suggesting that is a perfect solution but it is the sort of thing I believe that the club needs to do next summer.
Which is why I believe he will be given the chance to do something without the restriction of FFP.
That would be an admission by the shovers and makers we are running on top-class average / fumes?

Sigh said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
OB1 said:
I concur.

Without the FFP restrictions we might have bought all three. Doing that could instantly have turned us into a 4-3-3 side (not that Pellers is a 4-3-3 man).

Imagine a front three of Sanchez, Aguero, Di Maria with three out of Fabregas, Silva, Yaya and the Fern Bros behind them. It would certainly be exciting to watch. Not suggesting that is a perfect solution but it is the sort of thing I believe that the club needs to do next summer.
Which is why I believe he will be given the chance to do something without the restriction of FFP.
That would be an admission by the shovers and makers we are running on top-class average / fumes?
I assume you mean at our club and that it's an admission that the players we've bought aren't quite good enough?

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic......but why are we no longer concerned about the effects of FFP? are the shackles completely off?

strongbowholic said:
I understand the comparisons about "would you sack x if they..." and "what about Pardew..." etc. However, hand on heart, what has anybody seen this season so far that has genuinely made them think "he's definitely going to turn this around."?

What is it you are all seeing this season so far that someone like me seems to have missed (not that I'm in anyway implying I'm any sort of expert so could not have missed it in the first place - just genuinely need convincing it's all gonna come good)?

I agree with this. Mancini in this situation might have changed the formation and swapped half the team round, Mourinho would go even more solid at the back and build from there, Fergie would have his own ways of turning things around... like you say I'm not sure what Pellegrini has in the locker

FantasyIreland said:
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic......but why are we no longer concerned about the effects of FFP? are the shackles completely off?
I wouldn't go that far. We still have to meet the break-even requirement but the belief is that most of the sanctions imposed will be relaxed if we meet the €20m maximum loss condition for the 2013/14 financial year that was imposed as part of those sanctions.

Prestwich_Blue said:
FantasyIreland said:
I wouldn't go that far. We still have to meet the break-even requirement but the belief is that most of the sanctions imposed will be relaxed if we meet the €20m maximum loss condition for the 2013/14 financial year that was imposed as part of those sanctions.

Cheers PB,so,that hopefully being the case....approximately what amount will be available to spend?

No point sacking him mid season .
We won't gain anything sacking him now .
Anyway it made me laugh that the star were saying he was about to get the sack .
Another made up story in the Star .
I admit my English can be poor but I think I might have a chance of writing for the star .

Prestwich_Blue said:
Sigh said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I assume you mean at our club and that it's an admission that the players we've bought aren't quite good enough?
Yes.

FantasyIreland said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
FantasyIreland said:

Cheers PB,so,that hopefully being the case....approximately what amount will be available to spend?
It's difficult to say without knowing who will be sold or what the figures look like but I reckon we could stand something like £30-40m net per season quite comfortably. That might not sound a lot but I think we're now at the stage where we're buying replacements rather than additions so if we sell a couple of players for £30m we could spend £60-70m on replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.