Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simeone would be an excellent replacement for Pellegrini when he goes. If this was combined with a revamp of the squad with some top quality younger players like Barkley, Reus and Pogba replacing some of our underperforming Prima Donnas, I'd say that's the way forward for us.

cibaman said:
The Yaya-Fernando-Fernandhino midfield seemed an obvious option to play in away games but when they played together on Saturday it looked as if they'd just been introduced to each other.
That probably has something to do with the fact they hadn't actually played together as a starting trio, it takes time to get things like that right, maybe we could give it some ?

LJ75 said:
MP is a great guy, a true gentleman. Probably great listening skills too. I also think he gets along very well with TB and FS. He also appears to be a very pragmatic person, and I am sure in his vast career he has learned which battles to fight, and which not. And he is just too old to change, maybe a bit too stubborn too, despite pragmatism.

What he did last year was just minor fine tuning, and it worked. Everybody was pleased, and he was probably looking forward to applying the same formula again, only this time it's not working. More than a few players appear demotivated, tactics is not working, and if not for occasional moments of brilliance, results would have been even worse. There is no plan B, and he is probably under strong directives from DoF as to what type of play to develop (possession based, slow build up), as it's the system that suits Silva and Aguero, and it's also TB and FS's comfort zone, due to their background.

And MP, being a pragmatist, smart, experienced, and paid enough not to go against his bosses, is not doing any drastic changes. But it's not working and there are no signs that things are improving. I think he knows he will not be fired so easily, as it would send a wrong message to Peps and Klopps of this world. And they do not need to scapegoat him, as they probably have too much credit with the Arabs and feel secure.

So, both MP and the duo are just buying time, and there will probably be some sort of 'soft' exit at the end of the season, to appease the media and make room for the new guy. Pep is ideal, (although personally I hate to watch his teams, even managed to f..k up Bayern), but not sure if he will be willing or available. I would love to see Klopp, but he just does not fit in - different style of football, excessively strong willed...

But one thing is sure, it will not be boring, and that's what's all about.

For those so keen to see the bossmen pull the trigger on Manuel, this is a great point, well made - the way things managerial changes are handled from this point forward will be huge for the club. As much as it pains me to write it, we arent a club on the Real Madrid scale who can treat their managers like shit and the top 4 or 5 candidates will always be interested when the job comes up, we are in the process of trying to build a reputation within that top tier of clubs.

TFC said:
LJ75 said:
MP is a great guy, a true gentleman. Probably great listening skills too. I also think he gets along very well with TB and FS. He also appears to be a very pragmatic person, and I am sure in his vast career he has learned which battles to fight, and which not. And he is just too old to change, maybe a bit too stubborn too, despite pragmatism.

What he did last year was just minor fine tuning, and it worked. Everybody was pleased, and he was probably looking forward to applying the same formula again, only this time it's not working. More than a few players appear demotivated, tactics is not working, and if not for occasional moments of brilliance, results would have been even worse. There is no plan B, and he is probably under strong directives from DoF as to what type of play to develop (possession based, slow build up), as it's the system that suits Silva and Aguero, and it's also TB and FS's comfort zone, due to their background.

And MP, being a pragmatist, smart, experienced, and paid enough not to go against his bosses, is not doing any drastic changes. But it's not working and there are no signs that things are improving. I think he knows he will not be fired so easily, as it would send a wrong message to Peps and Klopps of this world. And they do not need to scapegoat him, as they probably have too much credit with the Arabs and feel secure.

So, both MP and the duo are just buying time, and there will probably be some sort of 'soft' exit at the end of the season, to appease the media and make room for the new guy. Pep is ideal, (although personally I hate to watch his teams, even managed to f..k up Bayern), but not sure if he will be willing or available. I would love to see Klopp, but he just does not fit in - different style of football, excessively strong willed...

But one thing is sure, it will not be boring, and that's what's all about.

For those so keen to see the bossmen pull the trigger on Manuel, this is a great point, well made - the way things managerial changes are handled from this point forward will be huge for the club. As much as it pains me to write it, we arent a club on the Real Madrid scale who can treat their managers like shit and the top 4 or 5 candidates will always be interested when the job comes up, we are in the process of trying to build a reputation within that top tier of clubs.

Absolutely spot on.

I'd argue it's the same for signing players too. If we show constant instability in the managerial hot seat it's going to be more difficult to convince the very best players.

I'm rapidly coming round to the idea that we should back Pellegrini regardless of what pans out. Only way we should even countenance a potential sacking is IF we end up falling out of the top 3/4.

The only way that will happen IMO is if he fully loses the dressing room which anyway would make his position untenable. Either way I keep saying it but lets see a reaction after the international break. A big week and we all need to be #together, excuse the cliche.

I'd look at it slightly differently. We've got a very good squad with bags of potential. We've got amazing facilities. We get Champions League footie. We've got great owners. We've got money in abundance by and large.

It's clear that if you don't achieve you get the bullet - as with most any other football club.

If I was Simeone or Pep or Klopp or whoever and I was being offered an opportunity where everything is geared up for success why would I not be all over it like a cheap suit?

An opportunity to create a real and lasting football legacy? Turn it down and it would show a distinct lack of ambition on the part of the individual and I'd rather not have that kind of person in charge anyway.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
blue underpants said:
The bookies must know something, they have slashed his odds on going soon right down tonight

Shhhhhhhhhhhh....They are wrong don't you know???
Just catching up with this thread but can't this pass without comment.
You two obviously know little about bookies and their methods.
It's too simplistic to assume that a contraction in odds is a surefire indication that something is about to happen.
It could be as a result of just one substantial bet from a "face". Their position will then be exposed if MP were to get his P45 and as the odds complier's job is to balance the book not to predict the future it would make sense to be "short" on that outcome so as not to be further exposed on it.
Another possibility is that it is a "knock in" ie a bookie identifies a market which is volatile and by drastically slashes the odds on that event occurring and publicises the situation via broadcast and social media hoping to ensnare bandwagon jumping punters to take ridiculously short odds on the event as they think that they're party to some privileged info but the bookies have just ensnared some mug money.

During transfer windows just observe how many players are long odds-on to move to a certain club.
Many of those players end up staying put but not many bookies offer a decent price on that outcome.
Why would that be?

strongbowholic said:
An opportunity to create a real and lasting football legacy?

Err, why would they think they'd have the opportunity to create anything when history would show that one season of relative underachievement or no major trophy leads to the sack.

What you're saying is nice in theory, but in practice you just need to look at how desperately Roman tried to entice Pep and Klopp. Neither man went because neither felt there was any stability at the club.

Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:

Err, why would they think they'd have the opportunity to create anything when history would show that one season of relative underachievement or no major trophy leads to the sack.

What you're saying is nice in theory, but in practice you just need to look at how desperately Roman tried to entice Pep and Klopp. Neither man went because neither felt there was any stability at the club.

If you look at it that we now have everything at the club neccesary to create a legacy, then you would like to think that any decent manager would back themselves to come in and compete for trophies every season

I don't think you can expect to win trophies every season, but you want to be there or there abouts come the end of the season, especially the PL and the Champions League

Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:

If Pep was to lose a load of games, I feel sure he'd be looking over his shoulder just in case.

I imagine Klopp is probably casting the odd nervous glance over his every now and then.

Simeone is probably in a position where he could name his price.

I fully expect MP to last the season out but I some of us are underselling the club and what we're about.

Let's look at City from an outside perspective.

Nouveau-riche club who has recently failed FFP. They have transfer bans and need to replace a few members of their squad. However, they do not allow poor results in a transitional period and you can be sacked despite success like Mancini and potentially Pellegrini. Their owner is now investing in other, more prestigious clubs and their board members seem to be more interested in other, more prestigious citys than Manchester.

Their star midfielder is a man-child who demands constant attention. Their star defender hasn't performed to his standard for 3 years. Their star attacking midfielder can't score goals and their star striker is constantly injured. On top of this they have no real interest in youth development and problem positions all over the pitch. Their dressing room has a history of blaming the management for their under-performance and there's a feeling that the players run the club rather than the manager.

The ground is often half-empty when you really need them the most and the atmosphere is bereft at all times. Neither the players nor the fans have the mental strength to succeed in Europe and the club itself is a highly sanitised and corporate entity with little to no character.

Why are Pep and Klopp going to be interested again? Is it because of how patient we are for a rebuilding effort? Our excellent and passionate fanbase who go the extra mile? Our wonderful players who care deeply about the club?

It's madness to think that a club in our position is more attractive than Bayern and Dortmund. Even without Champions League Dortmund are more attractive and Klopp would do better staying there and building a new team over the next 5 years than coming here for 12 months and getting thrown out of the door.

We'd do well to attract Pepe Le Pew if we sacked Pellegrini 11 games after winning a title, let alone Pep Guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.