Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all very nice rhetoric lads but the reality is somewhat different. You cannot out of one side of your mouth say "we want you to come here and build a legacy" whilst out the other side saying "but if you aren't there or thereabouts in any given season we'll sack you".

At that highest level guys like Pep, Klopp, players like Barkley and Reus. They can write their own cheques. They have literally the pick of world football. I know we're getting there and I know that one day in the not too distant future we'll be the premier destination for managers and players.

We are simply not there yet and we should respect that. The more I think about it the more I think sacking Pellegrini this summer will be about the worst thing that the club can do in terms of it's long term health.

Damocles said:
Let's look at City from an outside perspective.

Nouveau-riche club who has recently failed FFP. They have transfer bans and need to replace a few members of their squad. However, they do not allow poor results in a transitional period and you can be sacked despite success like Mancini and potentially Pellegrini. Their owner is now investing in other, more prestigious clubs and their board members seem to be more interested in other, more prestigious citys than Manchester.

Their star midfielder is a man-child who demands constant attention. Their star defender hasn't performed to his standard for 3 years. Their star attacking midfielder can't score goals and their star striker is constantly injured. On top of this they have no real interest in youth development and problem positions all over the pitch. Their dressing room has a history of blaming the management for their under-performance and there's a feeling that the players run the club rather than the manager.

The ground is often half-empty when you really need them the most and the atmosphere is bereft at all times. Neither the players nor the fans have the mental strength to succeed in Europe and the club itself is a highly sanitised and corporate entity with little to no character.

Why are Pep and Klopp going to be interested again? Is it because of how patient we are for a rebuilding effort? Our excellent and passionate fanbase who go the extra mile? Our wonderful players who care deeply about the club?

It's madness to think that a club in our position is more attractive than Bayern and Dortmund. Even without Champions League Dortmund are more attractive and Klopp would do better staying there and building a new team over the next 5 years than coming here for 12 months and getting thrown out of the door.

We'd do well to attract Pepe Le Pew if we sacked Pellegrini 11 games after winning a title, let alone Pep Guardiola

Spot on. You look at the Yellow Wall at Dortmund, and the support for Klopp and their players this weekend when they were literally bottom of the league. Contrast that with our support.

It's pretty clear that both those managers are in the short term utter pipe dreams. Maybe 18 months from now if we can build on where we are both on the field and off, and shape the squad a little better, we will with the culmination of Pellegrini's 3 year contract be in a position to talk to them.

Mister Appointment said:
It's all very nice rhetoric lads but the reality is somewhat different. You cannot out of one side of your mouth say "we want you to come here and build a legacy" whilst out the other side saying "but if you aren't there or thereabouts in any given season we'll sack you".

At that highest level guys like Pep, Klopp, players like Barkley and Reus. They can write their own cheques. They have literally the pick of world football. I know we're getting there and I know that one day in the not too distant future we'll be the premier destination for managers and players.

We are simply not there yet and we should respect that. The more I think about it the more I think sacking Pellegrini this summer will be about the worst thing that the club can do in terms of it's long term health.

We are certainly not there yet, we are way off there yet especially on the pitch

But its also a vicious circle because prehaps with Pellegrini in charge, and a lot of the current playing staff in place, the club may never get to where it wants to be

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:

We are certainly not there yet, we are way off there yet especially on the pitch

But its also a vicious circle because prehaps with Pellegrini in charge, and a lot of the current playing staff in place, the club may never get to where it wants to be

I don't see it as a vicious circle, far from it, more of a virtuous circle. You let the manager complete his cycle, during which time you put in place the raw materials for the next cycle and next manager. What you don't do is play some half arsed game where you pay lip service to giving managers time and space to work, only then to sack them at the first sign of trouble.

If Pellegrini were to be sacked this summer for failing to win a major trophy and for going out of the CL at the group stages then IMO it would be seen as ten times worse than Mancini's sacking and would probably guarantee at least another couple of short term cycles of not quite world class managers.

I've no idea what the club's long term succession plans will be for MP, but if they really are Pep or Klopp then Pellegrini is safe as houses this summer because the club will be aware of just how counter productive it'd be to sack him and how damaging it would be to the narrative around City.

A club who has recently failed FFP but is set fair to pass it this time. A club whose transfer ban is to be lifted next season so a new manager could make additions to an already good squad funded by an owner who had a diverse portfolio of investments, including with other clubs, that could garner some mutually beneficial arrangements.

A star midfielder whose best days are behind him but with another star midfielder who is sublime and a striker who is beyond world class. A star defender who is busy putting fires out all over the pitch at the moment so isn't looking as good but could easily be remedied. A club that IS investing in youth and any new manager will reap the fruits of the seeds being sown.

A dressing too that required that right blend of discipline and encouragement rather than all out dictatorship or wipe your feet on me I'm a doormat approaches.

A fantastic ground where if proving is to be as promised will be full every week and U.S. despondent currently due to performances but are notorious for turning up even when shit.

A club that has under performed in Europe but again a new approach may change that along with the opportunity to bring in the players to shape that vision.

Any manager would at least give it serious consideration if they had the belief they could make their mark.

Whilst Bayern or Dortmund may well be bigger clubs, neither are in the Premier League which is where, apparently, the managers you name are supposedly interested in managing at some point.

Poor results leading to an inevitable outcome is an occupational hazard for every manager.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:

I don't see it as a vicious circle, far from it, more of a virtuous circle. You let the manager complete his cycle, during which time you put in place the raw materials for the next cycle and next manager. What you don't do is play some half arsed game where you pay lip service to giving managers time and space to work, only then to sack them at the first sign of trouble.

If Pellegrini were to be sacked this summer for failing to win a major trophy and for going out of the CL at the group stages then IMO it would be seen as ten times worse than Mancini's sacking and would probably guarantee at least another couple of short term cycles of not quite world class managers.

I've no idea what the club's long term succession plans will be for MP, but if they really are Pep or Klopp then Pellegrini is safe as houses this summer because the club will be aware of just how counter productive it'd be to sack him and how damaging it would be to the narrative around City.

With all due respect, whichever way you dress it up, Pellegrini is in the shit at the moment and the only way out of it is to start winning football matches.

You can forget all the rhetoric about the clubs plans for the future, and what Pep and Klopp think about the ongoings at the moment, as currently we have a lot of work to be done on the pitch to even get anywhere near talking to those calibre of managers, and its up to Pellegrini to steer us in the right direction for us to even be in with a chance of top class managers and players

Unfortunately, this season has shown that he is way off course, and unless things change quickly, he could be in for a crash landing

strongbowholic said:
A club who has recently failed FFP but is set fair to pass it this time. A club whose transfer ban is to be lifted next season so a new manager could make additions to an already good squad funded by an owner who had a diverse portfolio of investments, including with other clubs, that could garner some mutually beneficial arrangements.

A star midfielder whose best days are behind him but with another star midfielder who is sublime and a striker who is beyond world class. A star defender who is busy putting fires out all over the pitch at the moment so isn't looking as good but could easily be remedied. A club that IS investing in youth and any new manager will reap the fruits of the seeds being sown.

A dressing too that required that right blend of discipline and encouragement rather than all out dictatorship or wipe your feet on me I'm a doormat approaches.

A fantastic ground where if proving is to be as promised will be full every week and U.S. despondent currently due to performances but are notorious for turning up even when shit.

A club that has under performed in Europe but again a new approach may change that along with the opportunity to bring in the players to shape that vision.

Any manager would at least give it serious consideration if they had the belief they could make their mark.

Whilst Bayern or Dortmund may well be bigger clubs, neither are in the Premier League which is where, apparently, the managers you name are supposedly interested in managing at some point.

Poor results leading to an inevitable outcome is an occupational hazard for every manager.

It's an impassioned defence of why the job is attractive and the reality is that from the tier below the very top we could take our pick because of that.

However doesn't change the fact that at the very top, for players and managers, the move to City is a hard sell and has been since the take over. What we need to do to change that is change the perceptions around the club, not reinforce them by making stupid knee jerk decisions based on a single season of relative under achievement.

chris85mcfc said:
With all due respect, whichever way you dress it up, Pellegrini is in the shit at the moment and the only way out of it is to start winning football matches.

You can forget all the rhetoric about the clubs plans for the future, and what Pep and Klopp think about the ongoings at the moment, as currently we have a lot of work to be done on the pitch to even get anywhere near talking to those calibre of managers, and its up to Pellegrini to steer us in the right direction for us to even be in with a chance of top class managers and players

Unfortunately, this season has shown that he is way off course, and unless things change quickly, he could be in for a crash landing

You've actually just made an even more compelling argument for allowing Pellegrini to complete his contract. This season if we underachieve the club is a harder sell. Makes sense then to give MP next summer's transfer window to get us the title back, so he can leave on a high, and we are in a better position to secure his successor.

I bloody hate typing those long posts on my phone so apologies for the litany of spelling mistakes.

I understand the point about knee jerk reactions but again I say the alarming drop in
performances when compared to last season's heights is a huge cause for concern, is down to the manager and shows no sign of abating.

If I could see something that allayed these fears of be much more relaxed but I don't see what he had in his locker to turn it around.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

You've actually just made an even more compelling argument for allowing Pellegrini to complete his contract. This season if we underachieve the club is a harder sell. Makes sense then to give MP next summer's transfer window to get us the title back, so he can leave on a high, and we are in a better position to secure his successor.

It would be a compelling argument if he could secure the bit that i have highlighted in bold, unfortunately for him that is what he will be judged on, and something that he has found rather difficult this season

Theres no way the clubs owners will be so forgiving if things don't improve on the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.