Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Billy it was just yesterday (could have been Monday) that you were saying Pellegrini is currently in the brown stuff and his job is in jeopardy

What has changed in the last 24 hours?

It's a results business, those results may get looked at at the end of the season when they all have a sit down in Abu Dhabi. But the top and bottom of it is, that if these lacklustre performances continue, then he won't be in a job much longer, regardless of the long term ambitions of the club

If he wants to keep his job, he has to start winning football matches, and if you don't think he is currently being told that by the top brass then you're wrong

He is in the shit because of how poor we've been in the last month.

I've already said clearly that if we risk being cut adrift of 3rd place in the PL he will out of a job IMO. But we're a long way from that right now and as much as he is in the shit right now, he has every opportunity to arrest that slide.

Serious question.Would you give him the whole season to "arrest the slide" as you say?
If and if it's a big if a top notch manager became available for whatever reason,would you not consider trying to save the season before it has gone?
He'd have to win the Fa cup and get close to last seasons points haul of 86 to have any chance.......

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Billy it was just yesterday (could have been Monday) that you were saying Pellegrini is currently in the brown stuff and his job is in jeopardy

It's a results business, those results may get looked at at the end of the season when they all have a sit down in Abu Dhabi. But the top and bottom of it is, that if these lacklustre performances continue, then he won't be in a job much longer, regardless of the long term ambitions of the club

If he wants to keep his job, he has to start winning football matches, and if you don't think he is currently being told that by the top brass then you're wrong

I've already said clearly that if we risk being cut adrift of 3rd place in the PL he will out of a job IMO. But we're a long way from that right now and as much as he is in the shit right now, he has every opportunity to arrest that slide.

If after being kicked out of the CL and League Cup by the end of November, you saw finishing 3rd as a decent return from this season after doing a double last season, then perhaps we are further away from where we 'want' to be than we and the owners originally thought

You could just about spare Chelsea's blushers for finishing 3rd last season as they got to the CL Semi Final without a decent striker, even then they could have won the league if they held their nerve, but even then they had one eye on their games against Atletico

The cookie monster said:
Mister Appointment said:

Serious question.Would you give him the whole season to "arrest the slide" as you say?
If and if it's a big if a top notch manager became available for whatever reason,would you not consider trying to save the season before it has gone?
He'd have to win the Fa cup and get close to last seasons points haul of 86 to have any chance.......

If it was a 2 or 3 game blip I could sort of have it mate but our form has in general been really poor all season despite our points tally. Of course it all about winning games but is that just papering over the cracks?
Quite a few teams bar Chelsea seem to be struggling so maybe it isn't just a City thing or a managerial thing. What concerns be is the way we have gone from destroying teams confidently to struggling formwise in a matter of months.

The cookie monster said:
Mister Appointment said:

I would be happy with that return from this season

strongbowholic said:
Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:
If I could see something that allayed these fears of be much more relaxed but I don't see what he had in his locker to turn it around.

Poor argument. He's a manager who won the premier league last season. In his first season in the league. Who has taken far worse sides than ours much further in the CL than we've ever been. He may not be Pep, but nor is he simply some fancy foreign version of Pardew or Keegan, no matter how many times you try and characterise him in that manner.

His pedigree deserves much more respect than "i don't see what he had (sic) in his locker to turn it around".
Bloody phone!

His pedigree also includes being the manager during one of Real Madrid's most embarrassing ever defeats.

That really is a pointless comment when it is countered by the fact he that he, rather more significantly I would suggest, produced the club's then record points haul for a season.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

The last month has been poor but I think the club will settle for top 3, to let him see out his contract. The fact he had is squad cut to 21 losing Negredo, a budget cap of £49 mill stopping us going for top players, the lack of pre season will all be seen as mitigating circumstances.
The other point is , if the club have a good idea who the next manager is they will want a manger in place that will assemble a squad next summer that has the right players for their preferred choice, I think they trust Pellegrini to do that. When Khaldoun talked of a pinch maybe he meant the whole season.

strongbowholic said:
In last season's CL we had some bad moments but you'd hope he would have learned from the experience and pushed us on; he hasn't as results have painfully shown in that comp this season.
Lets not exagerate, we had one bad game (well 80 minutes) in last years CL, at home to Bayern, the rest of the games in the group we won. We then drew Barcelona, who whilst not at their very best, beat us twice, but we put up decent shows in both, particularly away, when we were somewhat robbed by officials, and only lost in injury time, and played with 10 men for long periods of both matches.

cleavers said:
strongbowholic said:
In last season's CL we had some bad moments but you'd hope he would have learned from the experience and pushed us on; he hasn't as results have painfully shown in that comp this season.
Lets not exagerate, we had one bad game (well 80 minutes) in last years CL, at home to Bayern, the rest of the games in the group we won. We then drew Barcelona, who whilst not at their very best, beat us twice, but we put up decent shows in both, particularly away, when we were somewhat robbed by officials, and only lost in injury time, and played with 10 men for long periods of both matches.

That's a fair point so you would accept that we have regressed in the competition this season? Considering we battered cska at home beat them comfortably away,lost to Bayern away this year (albeit in the last minute) but Joe made some great saves which kept the score respectable. Winning there last year was a fantastic performance and with 1 more goal well we know the rest.
Roma at home was pretty average again.
I am not saying Bayern will destroy us,far from it. I think a lot depends on the team they put out and our desire to get it right.
We all agree the officials are fucking abysmal but we can't keep blaming that.

Just so we're clear. Who thinks a 3rd place finish and no trophy will get him sacked and who do those people propose the club approach to replace Pellegrini?

Of course it all about winning games but is that just papering over the cracks?
How can winning games be papering over the cracks ? Its not winning games that's the current issue, and that's what needs addressing, though in the league we do still have a record of 4 wins in the last 6 games :)

What concerns be is the way we have gone from destroying teams confidently to struggling formwise in a matter of months.
Yeah I think we can all concur there, but then there are significant outside factors involved, and it shows that other teams are also struggling, ones who had a lot of players at the WC, (Chelsea apart it seems).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.