Not open for further replies.
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
blueparrot said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
I think so.
Klopp
Simeone
Ancelotti

Who would you like if and as you say at the moment it is an if Pellegrini does go?

Ancelotti is probably out as he is supposed to close to a new contract with Madrid.

Wasn't aware of that so thanks. I am sure the powers that be will have discussed the what if scenarios at some point already this season.

I got it from here
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/03/real-madrid-carlo-ancelotti-new-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... w-contract</a>

"Real Madrid plan to offer Carlo Ancelotti a new contract according to reports in Spain after the Italian manager guided the Champions League holders to the top of La Liga on Saturday.

Real’s 4-0 triumph away to Granada was an 11th straight victory for Ancelotti’s men and they have scored 46 goals in the process – a far cry from the lacklustre start to the season that featured league defeats to Real Sociedad and a home reverse to their rivals Atlético Madrid.

Ancelotti’s current contract is due to expire at the end of next season but after overseeing such a change in fortunes, Real will offer the 55-year-old, who guided the club to their 10th European title last term, a one- or two-year extension, according to reports in AS.

The Spanish newspaper also quotes the Italian as recently saying: “It’s been a year and a half since I arrived and I am fine with everything. I want to renew, but we both have to agree. I would like to finish my career here.”

Mister Appointment said:
BobKowalski said:
What I did object to was this negative portrayal of our club. A portrayal where we should be grateful that we have Pellers in charge and somehow sacking him will send out the wrong message even if he does under perform or doesn't hit his targets (which btw hasn't happened yet); a club too fearful to make a decision and whose support is somehow inferior to Dortmund. It annoyed me hence I responded.

Who said that?

You are characterising the club's long term objectives as short term binary decisions.

So, look again at what you say. The CL is important. Lack of progress is bad. We're all in agreement there. So Pellegrini doesn't get out of the group and you sack him. Who's the next man you employ and on what basis do you employ them?

Remember there's very few available managers with a better CL record better than Pellegrini's, fewer still who have that CL record whilst also have a footballing philosophy which fits with what the owners want. Fewer still with Premier League experience too.

I got it from the tenor of your posts and if I am wrong then OK.

And yes lack of progress is bad. It gets you the sack. Irrespective of the managers previous record in this or that competition if you don't progress you invariably get sacked. Pellers record in the CL is OK. Its not jaw dropping brilliant its just OK. There are a lot of coaches with equal or better CL records so in no way does it make him fireproof if it goes tits this year.

But as I have said previously I am not after Pellers getting the boot either now or in the summer. Yes we are in a poor run of form and I half suspect all is not well behind the scenes (Milner's CSKA pre match interview set off some warning bells). Not to say it can't be put right and I hope it will but if it doesn't and we under perform this season it wouldn't be a huge surprise if a change in coach is made this summer. Equally if we don't make a change despite an under performing season I have no problem with Pellers getting the chance to put it right.

Guess I am fairly sanguine how it turns out. Pellers stays. OK. Pellers gets the boot. Shame but OK. Shit happens.

cleavers said:
strongbowholic said:
What has he learned from that and put into practice in this season's comp for us to progress then as from where I'm sitting I don't think we're going to get out of the group this time around?
What has he learned from what ? The Bayern home game, the rest of the group, the barca games ?

I'd say he's gone about it in exactly the same manner as he did last year when it was largely successful, not many thought we'd get past barca, even though we did put up some fight it ultimately wasn't enough, but what did you want him to change ?

Team performances just haven't been good enough, I'm not sure how that is solely the managers fault.
I remember Thomas Muller making a comment about Bayern players being on the deck chairs after seeing our team set up.

As you infer, nothing has changed and team performances have got worse.

You don't hold the manager accountable for that whereas I do.

strongbowholic said:
cleavers said:
strongbowholic said:
What has he learned from that and put into practice in this season's comp for us to progress then as from where I'm sitting I don't think we're going to get out of the group this time around?
What has he learned from what ? The Bayern home game, the rest of the group, the barca games ?

I'd say he's gone about it in exactly the same manner as he did last year when it was largely successful, not many thought we'd get past barca, even though we did put up some fight it ultimately wasn't enough, but what did you want him to change ?

Team performances just haven't been good enough, I'm not sure how that is solely the managers fault.
I remember Thomas Muller making a comment about Bayern players being on the deck chairs after seeing our team set up.

Our game against Bayern this year wasn't the problem though it's really the 1 1/2 games against CSKA and the players are as much to blame for that. But don't you think if he could have had more than 21 in his squad including 3 goalkeepers, he would have kept Negredo improved the squad and our performances ?

blueparrot said:
strongbowholic said:
cleavers said:

Our game against Bayern this year wasn't the problem though it's really the 1 1/2 games against CSKA and the players are as much to blame for that. But don't you think if he could have had more than 21 in his squad including 3 goalkeepers, he would have kept Negredo improved the squad and our performances ?

I think Negredo has been a huge huge loss for us. I am still baffled as to why he wasn't substituted at West Ham when we were 3-0 up just prior to getting his shoulder injury. Anyway that's another issue.

Our fans would want Ancelotti sacked.

He won a double in his first year at Chelsea and then won nothing at all in his 2nd season.

If we won the treble with Pep then the next season we were 3rd in the league in November having not done well in Europe, then we'd want him sacked as well.

Some of our fans are becoming unbearable in terms of their expectations.

ManCityX said:

He won a double in his first year at Chelsea and then won nothing at all in his 2nd season.

If we won the treble with Pep then the next season we were 3rd in the league in November having not done well in Europe, then we'd want him sacked as well.

What exactly have you summised is the expectations of 'some fans'?

strongbowholic said:

So you're solely referring to the first game against Bayern ? It was embarrassing, and I said so on here, and was rebuked by posters in this thread too.

I still think it was embarrassing, however what he did was win the next 5 CL games, so no I don't see it as "nothing has changed", its quite clear it was put right, including the win in Munich.

What relevance (other than for comparison purposes) it is to how we've played in this season competition I don't know, but I'd suggest none at all.

I'm not trying to convince you he's the greatest manager that ever lived, just countering your points, I'm not especially attached to him, even though he did give me the best season I've ever watched last year, including the Champions League matches I attended. I equally wasn't attached to the previous manager either, but at the time said I thought it was handled badly, especially in the days leading up to a cup final, though I suspect we were dumped into that fiasco by another club, for reasons best known to themselves, as it had no significant impact on them, unless they wanted Pellegrini themselves.

If MP turns it round great, if we bumble along and qualify in 3rd for the CL, it will be regression, but good anyway as that is what we know we must achieve regardless, and I trust that we have the people in charge who will do what is necessary when the time comes, however that time is hopefully still some way off. If we miss 3rd then his number will be up, even if we win a cup (unless by some miracle its the CL).

BobKowalski said:
And yes lack of progress is bad. It gets you the sack. Irrespective of the managers previous record in this or that competition if you don't progress you invariably get sacked. Pellers record in the CL is OK. Its not jaw dropping brilliant its just OK. There are a lot of coaches with equal or better CL records so in no way does it make him fireproof if it goes tits this year.

The point with regards replacements is simply about looking at the pool available and weighing up their CV's in comparison to Pellegrini's. It's probably more for those who have pretty much already made their minds up that he will go and should go next summer.

I agree largely with the rest of your post.

chris85mcfc said:
ManCityX said:

What exactly have you summised is the expectations of 'some fans'?

That winning two trophies in a debut season isn't good enough if we play badly for a couple of months in the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.