Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liability Lescott we used to call him where I sit.

Was always two seconds away from a goal costing mistake. Not as good as people remember and most of us on here wanted him out when he was playing for us, outside of a purple patch in the mid to late 11/12 season.

Don't forget that for all of his good form towards the end of that season, he still almost cost us the title with yet another mistake.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Can't let this one go, bud.

A buffoon of a defender, slow, unable to pass in a team that fundamentally required it to do so.

For the record, Mancini knew this also and Lescott was out the door, regardless of the dig aimed towards Pellegrini.

But for the intervention of Aguero, Lescott would forever have been known as the man who cost City their first title in 44 years.

Seriously, there is so much romanticism around in the time of a bad run.

Same people who thought Richard Dunne was a good defender and thought he deserved Player of the Year ahead of an outstanding year from Joey Barton, who blotted his copy book by refusing to sign a new contract at one stage.

Lescott was a model professional, but that is the least I expect from anybody the club signs.

The signing of Demichelis helped us win the title last year, the man was rightly perceived to be a better fit for what Manuel required.

I would argue the present manager got it pretty much spot on.

A good and fair summation.

Got much respect for JL ... he was top of the league and a champion. But the romanticism about his actual ability is way wide of the mark. Demichelis is in a different league as a defender.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Bluep*ss said:
Maybe Joleon was sold too soon.
Another good player fucked off without ever getting a chance by Mr. Nice Guy Manuel.

A buffoon of a defender, slow, unable to pass in a team that fundamentally required it to do so.

For the record, Mancini knew this also and Lescott was out the door, regardless of the dig aimed towards Pellegrini.

But for the intervention of Aguero, Lescott would forever have been known as the man who cost City their first title in 44 years.

Same people who thought Richard Dunne was a good defender and thought he deserved Player of the Year ahead of an outstanding year from Joey Barton, who blotted his copy book by refusing to sign a new contract at one stage.

And Joey would never have thumped Dabo if he had rightly won that award...

cibaman said:
flb said:
cibaman said:
If we make decisions based on a nod and a wink from Guardiola we really are in trouble. He's turned us down once, unless we have his signature on a contract I wouldnt believe anything he told us.

He might decide at the last minute that he wants to stay at Bayern, take another sabbatical or, horror of horrors, decide that the chance to rescue United from mid table mediocrity is a more appealing challenge.

City, the club, the project whatever you want to call it was really in its infancy when Pep allegedly turned us down (United and Chelsea aswell apparently) so in fairness it may have looked a little early from his point of view. We are a different animal now, more established as a genuine big club (You can here the sniffles from Old Trafford) play great football and have a new training facility to die for for a manager who cut his teeth blooding kids from La Masia. He's made for us in my opinion.

To go to your point about nods and winks then I'd be amazed if we are not already looking for Manuel's successor already - the club has been forward thinking from day one, they have delivered on every front so for me Txiki and co surely must have someone lined up for the job, i wouldn't dismiss the possibility that they have already had assurances from Pep.

He's premier league bound for me, cant see him at Chelsea or Arsenal-would he pitch up at Old Toilet with his good friends TB & FS there over the road or would he come to the fastest growing club in European football?

I'm absolutely sure that we are looking for his successor and I'm sure that discussions will have been held with Guardiola. But I would be astonished if Guardiola has given anything more than a general indication at this stage, "Yes I'm interested" and I dont think he will commit himself for another 12 months at least. Why would he? We might appeal to him but we certainly aren't the only fish in the sea and so much can change in 12-18 months. He will surely want to keep his options open for some time.

I just dont think that any decisions about Pellegrini should be made based on the mere possibility that Guardiola might be available in 2016. Ideally Pellegrini will turn the current situation around to such an extent that at the end of the season we might even want to consider extending his contract. But if things dont get better, or get worse to the extent that his position is untenable then we should bite the bullet. The worst possible scenario would be for Pellegrini to keep the job for 2015/16 despite having lost the confidence of the hierarchy and players just because we are waiting for Pep.

Pellegrini is a safe pair of hands who's afforded us the time to get our next appointment right. I hope we're using that time wisely, because I see a Mourinho inspired Chelsea as a major threat domestically, and we need to start performing in Europe. We need someone who can go toe to toe with Mourinho in the Prem, and take us to the next level in Europe, and we need to give him the tools to get the job done by investing in genuine quality in the summer.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Bluep*ss said:
Maybe Joleon was sold too soon.
Another good player fucked off without ever getting a chance by Mr. Nice Guy Manuel.

Lescott was a model professional, but that is the least I expect from anybody the club signs.

The signing of Demichelis helped us win the title last year, the man was rightly perceived to be a better fit for what Manuel required.

I would argue the present manager got it pretty much spot on.

You'd prefer Boyota in the squad over Lescott?

flb said:

Boyata is homegrown at City, so the choice is whether you would like Boyata or nobody.

Lescott/Demichelis is a better comparison

Damocles said:
flb said:

Boyata is homegrown at City, so the choice is whether you would like Boyata or nobody.

Fair enough Dam but we have lost to CB's in Lescott and Nastasic and bought Mangala.

We are hardly covered CB wise and Lescott would have added to the squad even for FA Cup and Capital Cup Games.

Yes he did nearly cost us the title v QPR but i remember that important away goal at Villa he scored late on that kept us in the race that season.

flb said:
Damocles said:
flb said:

Fair enough Dam but we have lost to CB's in Lescott and Nastasic and bought Mangala.

We are hardly covered CB wise and Lescott would have added to the squad even for FA Cup and Capital Cup Games.

Yes he did nearly cost us the title v QPR but i remember that important away goal at Villa he scored late on that kept us in the race that season.

Lescott was on high wages as well remember. People should take comfort in Mangala's debut for us. He was exceptional. The whole backline was on their game and he was dominant against the second best striker in the league and a FIFA player of the year nominee. That shows how good he can be and recent performances have been down to high exposure from a constantly changing defensive unit and a poor midfield showing. He hasn't dealt with situations with the same composure but he has shown glimpses already of what he can become. Lescott used to react to situations pretty well but any pressure on him would result in the ball ending up off the pitch. Mangala has shown he can pass the ball - his assist to Aguero case in point. Lescott's ability can be summarised best by watching the video of the City v Barcelona game last season. Demichelis gets sent off and Lescott comes on. At this point many City fans believed Lescott was better than Demi anyway. One of Lescott's first challenges is to play a 10yard pass to feet under pressure. Guess where the ball ends up?!

People aren't recognising just how constrained we have been by FFP and the homegrown rule. We've had to make tough decisions and certain choices that are perhaps detrimental in the short term. We had issues with fitting players into our CL squad because of our reduced squad size. Lescott had to go. Boyata has to be utilised because of the homegrown rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.