Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manager is staying until the end of the season. That much is 100% nailed on.
We just have to hope that we can maintain our PL form and finish in the top 4 (preferably top 3 but the top 4 at the very least).
From there the club will take stock and replacing the current manager is highly likely unless he works a miracle between now & then.

Questions also need to be asked of our DoF who appears be escaping from virtually any criticism whatsoever as Pellegrini
has buckets of crap thrown at him from every conceivable angle. I have never been a fan of Pellegrini as a football manager but as a man and as person
I believe he is both a good and honourable one - who doesn't need what is going on right now.

For the above reasons the position of DoF has be scrutinised in some depth also.
The handling and fallout from the Mancini sacking - not good.
The success of the players / transfers who have been brought in by the DoF - not good.
Our overall tactics and way of playing - currently not good
Our results in Europe - less than not good.

Its just to easy to line up the manager against the wall and shoot him. The problems are both deeper & higher than Pellegrini.
To cure it is required to treat the root cause of the problem and not just the symptoms of the problem.

Therefore the question is:
Is the DoF very much part part of the current problem or part of the long term solution that is required going forward?
Discuss:

Rammy Blue said:
Mister Appointment said:
BlueDejong said:
We need Pep or Klopp or Simeone......It's real.

I wouldn't want Simeone and no way I can see City giving the job to someone like him. It's Pep, Klopp, or Pellegrini stays another season.

You can bookmark that as far as I'm concerned because I'm not wrong.

Out of interest mate, why are you so convinced we can't get Pep or Klopp at the end of this season?

There's two big reasons and they will both hold equal weight in the minds of Pep and Klopp IMO. Firstly they're both big on being 'honourable' men. Neither is going to walk out on a contract IMO. In Pep's case he has no need as his current deal only has one more season to run after this one - in Klopp's case he's contracted to 2018 or something like that. I don't see him bailing on that and Dortmund after one poor season.

The other reason and this ties into the post Tolmie has made above about our travails in Europe. We don't have the players to play the high energy press, pass, move game which Klopp and Pep like to play. I don't think either man would keep more than a half a dozen players from our current squad. We'll need to shop better in the next two windows to get us closer to the kind of squad either guy would need to be successful.

As I say, all the sack talk IMO premature because I bet my bottom dollar that it's no coincidence Pep and Pellegrini both signed 3 year deals at the same time.

cleavers said:
shemnel said:
Klopp is a funny one, it's almost the mirror image of our situation.

To simply point at Dortmund's position in the league, with 7 pts from 10 games, is similarly disingenuous as City's 20 pts from 10 games - Dortmund have been playing pretty well actually and you can tell that they are going to start picking up points where as with City our points haul is pretty good but it's hard to say that we've played well for 90 minutes yet.
So to sum up, 7 points form 30 is OK because they're playing "well", but 20 points from 30 isn't because we're not playing well enough. Genius.

I think we've got to be fair to Klopp. He has systematically had his best players taken from him in the last few years and has only had the finances to buy second rate replacements for the most part. It's also true to say that much like Pellegrini, Klopp has a very defined style of play which he simply doesn't deviate from. So in Germany teams have 'figured' Dortmund out. They sit very deep as Dortmund's biggest strength is counterattacking. This coupled with some horrendous individual and collective defending (sound familiar) has meant they are struggling. Also their three best players (Hummels, Reus, Gundogan) were missing for large portions of the season so far, and they don't have any serious squad depth.

I still think they'll be fine in the long term. Bundesliga table can change really quickly and they're 10 points off a CL place. They can make that up.

SiMCFC said:
As I said last night on the match thread, say we get Guardiola in next season and yet again fluff our lines in Europe, is he a shit manager as well then? The blame for a lot of this is down to certain players and always has been, a dangerous precedent was set when the club allowed players to remove a manager in my opinion.

Yup ! I'm also interested in what our fans generally regard as an acceptable level of failure. Pellers won a domestic double in his first season. We're third in the league and well-placed. Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and the rags have all failed to beat us.

We got knocked out of the league Cup by a bang on form Premier league team, we lost to Bayern away to a last minute deflection, drew with Roma at home and CSKA away, then had a really shit night last night. 3 of last night's team featured in the world cup final and one is African player of the year.

What is the chronological cut-off point for acceptability before it becomes okay to start demanding players and the manager are discarded as not being up the expected standard ?

Mister Appointment said:
I think we've got to be fair to Klopp. He has systematically had his best players taken from him in the last few years and has only had the finances to buy second rate replacements for the most part. It's also true to say that much like Pellegrini, Klopp has a very defined style of play which he simply doesn't deviate from. So in Germany teams have 'figured' Dortmund out. They sit very deep as Dortmund's biggest strength is counterattacking. This coupled with some horrendous individual and collective defending (sound familiar) has meant they are struggling. Also their three best players (Hummels, Reus, Gundogan) were missing for large portions of the season so far, and they don't have any serious squad depth.

I still think they'll be fine in the long term. Bundesliga table can change really quickly and they're 10 points off a CL place. They can make that up.
Yep, no problem with any of that, I was just pointing out that the post was pretty silly, we'd all sooner have 20 from 30 rather than 7 from 30 no matter how well or not the team are playing.

Imagine the meltdown on here if we'd only got 7 points, and were below all but QPR and Burnley right now :)

Where playing like a soggy fart at this moment .
Can Manuel get us out of this soggy fart ?
Not looking good for him at the moment .

We haven't managed to sign one big player that has been in demand in the last 3 years, what makes everyone think we will attract a big name manager? Money maybe but these managers are well paid wherever they go and wanted by other big sides. Would you really move from Bayern Munich to manage us currently?

Didn't Pep say he wanted to manage the rags before he retired recently. Hardly sounding like he is rushing to come here.

Pellegrini needs to pull his finger out of his arse along with 70% of our players and start earning their money.

Working and playing for us on the money they are on and with the support of the owner behind them, should be a privilege that they both respect and are thankful for. Sadly not enough of them do/are....

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
We haven't managed to sign one big player that has been in demand in the last 3 years, what makes everyone think we will attract a big name manager? Money maybe but these managers are well paid wherever they go and wanted by other big sides. Would you really move from Bayern Munich to manage us currently?

Didn't Pep say he wanted to manage the rags before he retired recently. Hardly sounding like he is rushing to come here.

Pellegrini needs to pull his finger out of his arse along with 70% of our players and start earning their money.

Working and playing for us on the money they are on and with the support of the owner behind them, should be a privilege that they both respect and are thankful for. Sadly not enough of them do/are....

agree with this post, if we want to be the best we have to sign or at least compete for the best!

baildon blue said:
Where playing like a soggy fart at this moment .
Can Manuel get us out of this soggy fart ?
Not looking good for him at the moment .

no mate .. this is the part where he starts to lose players in the dressing room.

we may well see a capitulation similar to what the rags experienced last season.

cleavers said:
Mister Appointment said:

Yep, no problem with any of that, I was just pointing out that the post was pretty silly, we'd all sooner have 20 from 30 rather than 7 from 30 no matter how well or not the team are playing.

Imagine the meltdown on here if we'd only got 7 points, and were below all but QPR and Burnley right now :)

Honestly mate, I've seen very little in terms of "meltdown" since last night. Yeah there's some very loud shouting but for the most part it's just hot air. Most if not all sensible people can see that although performances haven't been good enough, this isn't just the fault of one person. There's been a collective failure in the last few weeks which includes the manager but doesn't preclude the players from their portion of responsibility. I'm also with you on the silly talk about 442/433 etc. Ultimately when the players play as badly as they did against West Ham, against Moscow, against Newcastle, it goes beyond just where you put magnets on a tactics board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.