Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will think this is a knee jerk reaction and it isn't but I think we're sadly at that point when we need to refresh this group of players. We've had 3 amazing years with this team and this group of players but we've become far too predictable and lost our sparkle, lost our togetherness and we need to move into the next cycle.

I love the patient, possession style we've become so accustomed to this last few years and there's no way we should ever change the way we play but if we want to progress and improve we need to add more pace and youthful energy to the team, to give us more variety in attacking positions. I'd love to see us try and combine the qualities of our possession style with the speed, pressing and counter-attacking qualities of the Dortmund side of a couple of years ago.

I genuinely think we could lose Caballero, Sagna, Boyata, Demichellis, Kolarov, Fernando, Lampard, Sinclair, Jovetic and Dzeko and it wouldn't really affect us. To be honest I think we need to sacrifice Toure as well to add that variety and to minimise the defensive liability he offers, after last summers birthday cake episode I'd be glad to see the back of him.

We've no doubt been hamstrung by FFP however we've most definitely failed in the transfer market in shaping the squad correctly to give us options in our style.

Said it many times, but it's criminal that we have so little pace in the side and certainly no player that can go past someone and leave them for dead. The midfield is our main weakness, we have on paper a decent set of players but we're desperate for another top drawer central midfielder and a class wide player.

I do though think a certain amount of blame lies at MP's feet, he's never tried mixing it up and again I've said before that we make it so easy for the opposition manager as we pretty much play the same formation and tactics week in week out.

Why doesn't he try something different, keep them guessing a bit?

Rammy Blue said:
Scary that we seemed to be playing better with no forwards and no Vince.

All gone to shit since we started getting people back.

MP alluded to this in his post match and said it was because the team adopted a different style of play because of the injuries and are now having difficulty re-adjusting to our normal game

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
Rammy Blue said:

MP alluded to this in his post match and said it was because the team adopted a different style of play because of the injuries and are now having difficulty re-adjusting to our normal game
And this has obviously made us defend like twats

Rammy Blue said:

We were much more compact and played with far more shape when we had no strikers. It's bizarre that it takes a striker crisis for Pellegrini to decide that some kind of collective work ethic is useful, then we sack it off at the first chance possible.

Not wanting to lump it all on two people, but the team has gone to shit since Jovetic returned and Milner dropped back into midfield. I'm not saying we should play Milner up front, or that Jovetic is single handedly destroying our play, but Jovetic epitomises the "everyone just do what you fancy" mentality that seems to have crept into our play, while MIlner has absolutely stunk out the place in midfield since his foray up front. Before then, our attacking play was quick and incisive, while everyone was on the same page to stay compact and defend as a team. Now we seem slow, disorganised and like we have no plan whatsoever.

fatbloke said:
People will think this is a knee jerk reaction and it isn't but I think we're sadly at that point when we need to refresh this group of players. We've had 3 amazing years with this team and this group of players but we've become far too predictable and lost our sparkle, lost our togetherness and we need to move into the next cycle.

I love the patient, possession style we've become so accustomed to this last few years and there's no way we should ever change the way we play but if we want to progress and improve we need to add more pace and youthful energy to the team, to give us more variety in attacking positions. I'd love to see us try and combine the qualities of our possession style with the speed, pressing and counter-attacking qualities of the Dortmund side of a couple of years ago.

I genuinely think we could lose Caballero, Sagna, Boyata, Demichellis, Kolarov, Fernando, Lampard, Sinclair, Jovetic and Dzeko and it wouldn't really affect us. To be honest I think we need to sacrifice Toure as well to add that variety and to minimise the defensive liability he offers, after last summers birthday cake episode I'd be glad to see the back of him.

Unfortunately we are crap when Toure doesn't play. We can cope with the loss of any player but not him. He is our most important player.

I can't believe the majority of people are only just seeing this after today's performance

We've been piss poor all season, luckily we've still managed to win games and stay in the title race

And why a couple of the young lads weren't in the match day squad after a week with the first team in Abu Dhabi is beyond me

Rammy Blue said:
We've no doubt been hamstrung by FFP however we've most definitely failed in the transfer market in shaping the squad correctly to give us options in our style.

Said it many times, but it's criminal that we have so little pace in the side and certainly no player that can go past someone and leave them for dead. The midfield is our main weakness, we have on paper a decent set of players but we're desperate for another top drawer central midfielder and a class wide player.

I do though think a certain amount of blame lies at MP's feet, he's never tried mixing it up and again I've said before that we make it so easy for the opposition manager as we pretty much play the same formation and tactics week in week out
Why doesn't he try something different, keep them guessing a bit?

Totally agree with this, .......funny how when all our attackers were out injured, the midfield stepped up to the plate and we were scoring freely. It was almost like an enforced plan b teams didn't know how to deal with it.
Now I,m not advocating we suddenly bin our attack force, but we definitely need to be able to mix our style of play up coz teams are working us out.

chris85mcfc said:
I can't believe the majority of people are only just seeing this after today's performance

We've been piss poor all season, luckily we've still managed to win games and stay in the title race

And why a couple of the young lads weren't in the match day squad after a week with the first team in Abu Dhabi is beyond me

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.