Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep stalling over contract extension at Bayern. Interesting.
(Reuters) - German champions Bayern Munich have repeatedly signalled their desire for a contract extension with coach Pep Guardiola but the Spaniard seems in no rush to sign a deal past 2016.

Guardiola led Bayern to the domestic league and Cup double in his first season in charge last year but any talk of a contract extension past his original three years will happen later in the year.

Despite their runaway lead in the Bundesliga again this season, any possible deal extension seems to largely hinge on Guardiola's ability to land the Champions League title this season.

Last season's semi-final exit at the hands of Real Madrid dashed the hopes of a dream first season for Guardiola and the Spaniard, who won more than a dozen titles in his four years at Barcelona, is eager to make amends.

"We still have time to talk about that (contract extension) after the end of the season in the summer. Football is today like that and completely different the next day," Guardiola told Bayern fans during visits to fan clubs on the weekend.

"It was a big challenge for me (to work at Bayern). I have had a great time and it was a dream come true to be Bayern coach," he said when asked specifically about a possible contract extension.

Questions about his future at the German record champions have swirled for months with club Chief Executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge saying Bayern were ready, at a any time, to sign a contract extension.

"I hope that he stays as long as possible at Bayern," Rummenigge said in his most recent praise of the Spaniard. "Pep can stay as long as he wants to. He is not a person who seeks security. He does not need a five-year deal to know how much he earns at Bayern."

Rummenigge also said he would respect Guardiola and not talk about a new deal before the second half of the year. That would be after this year's Champions League winner has been determined.

Few coaches have enjoyed as much backing as Guardiola has in Bayern and rightly so, with his team, who won the league in record time last season, undefeated in the league so far in this campaign, having conceded a record four goals in 17 games.

They have also advanced to the Champions League round of 16 where they will face Shakhtar Donetsk next month.

Prestwich_Blue said:
(Reuters) - German champions Bayern Munich have repeatedly signalled their desire for a contract extension with coach Pep Guardiola but the Spaniard seems in no rush to sign a deal past 2016.

Guardiola led Bayern to the domestic league and Cup double in his first season in charge last year but any talk of a contract extension past his original three years will happen later in the year.

Despite their runaway lead in the Bundesliga again this season, any possible deal extension seems to largely hinge on Guardiola's ability to land the Champions League title this season.

Last season's semi-final exit at the hands of Real Madrid dashed the hopes of a dream first season for Guardiola and the Spaniard, who won more than a dozen titles in his four years at Barcelona, is eager to make amends.

"We still have time to talk about that (contract extension) after the end of the season in the summer. Football is today like that and completely different the next day," Guardiola told Bayern fans during visits to fan clubs on the weekend.

"It was a big challenge for me (to work at Bayern). I have had a great time and it was a dream come true to be Bayern coach," he said when asked specifically about a possible contract extension.

Questions about his future at the German record champions have swirled for months with club Chief Executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge saying Bayern were ready, at a any time, to sign a contract extension.

"I hope that he stays as long as possible at Bayern," Rummenigge said in his most recent praise of the Spaniard. "Pep can stay as long as he wants to. He is not a person who seeks security. He does not need a five-year deal to know how much he earns at Bayern."

Rummenigge also said he would respect Guardiola and not talk about a new deal before the second half of the year. That would be after this year's Champions League winner has been determined.

Few coaches have enjoyed as much backing as Guardiola has in Bayern and rightly so, with his team, who won the league in record time last season, undefeated in the league so far in this campaign, having conceded a record four goals in 17 games.

They have also advanced to the Champions League round of 16 where they will face Shakhtar Donetsk next month.

Interesting as Pep talk about Bayern in a past tense.

Always said he is the natural fit with Ferran and Txiki and the CFA coming on line.

In the mean time, Pellegrini is doing a magnificent job.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Please be true

There really is no need for any more defensive rotation. Mangala or Demichelis, which ever one he picks for Chelsea, then that must be the one he sticks by along with Kompany and the two fullbacks, Clichy and Zabba for the rest of the season. He hasn't had much choice with Kompany out, but now there is no excuse.
He's facing a big problem with his midfield, which is not of his making, we're so short of quality back-up if yaya, silva or Nasri are missing and we haven't had a decent defensive midfielder since Barry, who surely should have been kept as a squad player? I really rate Pellers and we'll start banging them in again when everyone is fit but there are concerns regarding what we do on the training ground....is Navas not told to try and run at his man, if he is, then why isn't Milner played instead of him on the right until we can get someone in who can. Why isn't Fernandinho given more game time, he can't need resting? If we've gone to all that trouble keeping Lampard, then why only ten or 15 minutes at the end chasing the game....surely he would be a better option than Fernando, and the goalie must have been fantastic in Spain because from what I have seen, he should be nowhere near the first eleven. Still all to play for.

A draw would be a good result on Saturday. We need a bit of luck that hasn't been there and we need a bit of magic from Sergio.

Opposition playing us put there 10 outfield players in there on box and sit they let us pass the ball to death they don't get knackered because we don't move the ball quick enough! Crossing shooting and a player trying to get through that is why we are struggling

waspish said:
Opposition playing us put there 10 outfield players in there on box and sit they let us pass the ball to death they don't get knackered because we don't move the ball quick enough! Crossing shooting and a player trying to get through that is why we are struggling

It was the same under Bob as well and points to the shocking lack of pace in the side.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Always thought it would be inevitable that Guardiola will joins us eventually. If Pellegrini doesn't do better in the Champions League or Premier League and Pep does leave Bayern I feel Pellegrini's days are numbered.

There is much concern about our recent form, and quite rightly so, but there is also concern over formation and tactics and increasingly on Pellegrini's views on these. I have a view of City, Pellegrini and the players which i think makes me a little more confident than, perhaps, some other City fans. Pellegrini appears still to believe in playing two up front and one light in midfield and many blame this "obsession" when things go wrong, as they are doing at the moment. In fact it could just be that injuries have meant he's found it difficult tp play one up front since early December, that he has a "recovering" Aguero now, a rather less recovered Dzeko, a Bony marooned in Africa, a Jovetic who still disappoints and a midfield with its heart ripped out!

I think Pellegrini's ideas need to be put into context. Since Mancini's first full season in charge City have lost remarkably few games: 7 in 09-10, 9 the season after, 5 in Mancini's title winning season, 6 in the season of "the worst title defence ever, the same number when we won the title the season after and only 3 so far this season. With the exception of 10-11 we have never lost more than one game more than the champions! In 09-10, when we were pipped to fourth by Spurs we lost 3 fewer games than they did and we had a better goal difference than they did. The key is in the draws: we avoided defeat/drew in 13 matches to Spurs 7 but crucially they won 3 more matches than we did. In the 10-11 season and the 13-14 season where we were not champions we still lost relatively few matches but drew 8 and 9 respectively (compared to 5 in both our title winning seasons). It was wins which becaame draws which cost us - and already we have drawn 5 times this season and are 5 points behind.

When Pellegrini became manager we were actually promised a "high risk" football, and I think Pellegrini had learned in Spain that draws are simply 2 points dropped for the title chasers, whereas at the bottom of the table they might be a point gained. At City he had a squad which had cover in each position and, in terms of quality, was better than any other in the PL. So he set up his team to score goals and win matches with two forwards and only two in central midfield. City were clearly good enough at this to win the title last season, but this season, so far, injuries and loss of form have introduced us to the other side of the coin - it can go disastrously wrong on occasions, especially when injuries take whole sections of the formation out!

In Europe great stress is laid on a contrast between City in the PL and City in the CL. In fact there was no contrast - City went through the league stage like a dose of salts and then went out to a quality team (without Sergio at home). This year an out of form City were poor in the first four games, then produced stirring performances at home to Bayern and then in Rome.

It seems to me, therefore, that Pellegrini is suffering from the absence of key players and a loss of form in others, but things will come back to normal. Unfortunately the question has to be, "when?"

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
There is much concern about our recent form, and quite rightly so, but there is also concern over formation and tactics and increasingly on Pellegrini's views on these. I have a view of City, Pellegrini and the players which i think makes me a little more confident than, perhaps, some other City fans. Pellegrini appears still to believe in playing two up front and one light in midfield and many blame this "obsession" when things go wrong, as they are doing at the moment. In fact it could just be that injuries have meant he's found it difficult tp play one up front since early December, that he has a "recovering" Aguero now, a rather less recovered Dzeko, a Bony marooned in Africa, a Jovetic who still disappoints and a midfield with its heart ripped out!

I think Pellegrini's ideas need to be put into context. Since Mancini's first full season in charge City have lost remarkably few games: 7 in 09-10, 9 the season after, 5 in Mancini's title winning season, 6 in the season of "the worst title defence ever, the same number when we won the title the season after and only 3 so far this season. With the exception of 10-11 we have never lost more than one game more than the champions! In 09-10, when we were pipped to fourth by Spurs we lost 3 fewer games than they did and we had a better goal difference than they did. The key is in the draws: we avoided defeat/drew in 13 matches to Spurs 7 but crucially they won 3 more matches than we did. In the 10-11 season and the 13-14 season where we were not champions we still lost relatively few matches but drew 8 and 9 respectively (compared to 5 in both our title winning seasons). It was wins which becaame draws which cost us - and already we have drawn 5 times this season and are 5 points behind.

When Pellegrini became manager we were actually promised a "high risk" football, and I think Pellegrini had learned in Spain that draws are simply 2 points dropped for the title chasers, whereas at the bottom of the table they might be a point gained. At City he had a squad which had cover in each position and, in terms of quality, was better than any other in the PL. So he set up his team to score goals and win matches with two forwards and only two in central midfield. City were clearly good enough at this to win the title last season, but this season, so far, injuries and loss of form have introduced us to the other side of the coin - it can go disastrously wrong on occasions, especially when injuries take whole sections of the formation out!

In Europe great stress is laid on a contrast between City in the PL and City in the CL. In fact there was no contrast - City went through the league stage like a dose of salts and then went out to a quality team (without Sergio at home). This year an out of form City were poor in the first four games, then produced stirring performances at home to Bayern and then in Rome.

It seems to me, therefore, that Pellegrini is suffering from the absence of key players and a loss of form in others, but things will come back to normal. Unfortunately the question has to be, "when?"

Thats all well and good but when you have Teflon,Sagna,Boyota, Kolorov and to a lesser degree Mangala as a defensive group then you are asking for fucking trouble.

I'd say "when?" isn't round the corner anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.