Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that erudite and reasoned contribution to the debate.

Alright, if you want me to elaborate for you......

1. You are advocating replacing a proven, top quality goalkeeper, with 57 international caps to his name and still in his 20's, with someone relatively inexperienced, who has played the grand total of 4 games in 2 seasons for his current club.
2. Joe Hart is arguably the best one on one shot blocker in world football, in the top half dozen (IMO) when it comes to the spectacular stuff, and at 6ft 4', a real physical presence in a very physical league. I too would prefer him to catch the ball from corners, but if you want to cite that (along with his supposedly suspect distribution - which I personally would call bullshit given that he only ever has a collection of diddymen to aim at) as grounds to get rid, then frankly I think you're certifiable.
3. Joe Hart is English. Our inadequate home grown quota has already led to us being held over a barrel once, when that bastard Milner played silly buggers over signing a new contract safe in the knowledge that due to FFP restrictions, we couldn't afford to offload him because of his nationality. Ditching Hart would pretty much leave us with Delph, Clichy and Sterling in that capacity. Quite apart from leaving us short on squad numbers, it would also make us vulnerable to legislative change dreamt up by rag c*nts like Gill and Dyke, the latter of whom would love nothing more than to up the home grown quota, a) because it would suit the rags, the dippers, the Arse and Spurs to do so, and b) because it would stiff us.
4. A lesser point, but Joe Hart is effectively one of our own. A big character who loves the club and who is (IMO) good for morale.

Is Joe Hart perfect? No, of course not. He drops the odd ricket, like the fuck up at home to Swansea or the soft scuffer he let in from Lallana recently, just like any other keeper, but that notwithstanding he's a fucking good goalie, who's saved our bacon on umpteen occasions. As priorities go, trying to find a replacement for him is pretty much second only to selling Aguero on my list. There, will that do for you?

1. You are advocating replacing a proven, top quality goalkeeper, with 57 international caps to his name and still in his 20's, with someone relatively inexperienced, who has played the grand total of 4 games in 2 seasons for his current club.
2. Joe Hart is arguably the best one on one shot blocker in world football, in the top half dozen (IMO) when it comes to the spectacular stuff, and at 6ft 4', a real physical presence in a very physical league. I too would prefer him to catch the ball from corners, but if you want to cite that (along with his supposedly suspect distribution - which I personally would call bullshit given that he only ever has a collection of diddymen to aim at) as grounds to get rid, then frankly I think you're certifiable.
3. Joe Hart is English. Our inadequate home grown quota has already led to us being held over a barrel once, when that bastard Milner played silly buggers over signing a new contract safe in the knowledge that due to FFP restrictions, we couldn't afford to offload him because of his nationality. Ditching Hart would pretty much leave us with Delph, Clichy and Sterling in that capacity. Quite apart from leaving us short on squad numbers, it would also make us vulnerable to legislative change dreamt up by rag c*nts like Gill and Dyke, the latter of whom would love nothing more than to up the home grown quota, a) because it would suit the rags, the dippers, the Arse and Spurs to do so, and b) because it would stiff us.
4. A lesser point, but Joe Hart is effectively one of our own. A big character who loves the club and who is (IMO) good for morale.

Is Joe Hart perfect? No, of course not. He drops the odd ricket, like the fuck up at home to Swansea or the soft scuffer he let in from Lallana recently, just like any other keeper, but that notwithstanding he's a fucking good goalie, who's saved our bacon on umpteen occasions. As priorities go, trying to find a replacement for him is pretty much second only to selling Aguero on my list. There, will that do for you?
Would you rather we sign a much inferior second choice? That's not a loaded question or anything, I'm interested who people would rather bring in as a number 2 when Caballero inevitably leaves.

Ter Stegen has actually played 41 games for Barca

Ter Stegen has played more than 4 games mate. He has played in all their CL matches in these 2 years.

On the point of Harts physical presence, commanding the box is his main weakness with distribution.

I dont want to lose him but why cant these 2 keepers have a fair fight and whoeever is better, play?

Would you rather we sign a much inferior second choice? That's not a loaded question or anything, I'm interested who people would rather bring in as a number 2 when Caballero inevitably leaves.

I'd be quite happy with Ter Stegen as a second choice, but the player himself has made it pretty clear he wants regular first team football. I doubt he would be contemplating signing for us if he wasn't then on a promise of some description. Given the points I outlined, I personally think alienating Hart is a completely unnecessary gamble. I'd prefer an English back up keeper if only because it would free up another overseas outfield slot, but I haven't got any suggestions......

I'd be quite happy with Ter Stegen as a second choice, but the player himself has made it pretty clear he wants regular first team football. I doubt he would be contemplating signing for us if he wasn't then on a promise of some description. Given the points I outlined, I personally think alienating Hart is a completely unnecessary gamble. I'd prefer an English back up keeper if only because it would free up another overseas outfield slot, but I haven't got any suggestions......
I think every goalkeeper coming into a new club has to make the right noises. I'd rather he say he wants to fight for the number one spot rather than make out he's happy to sit on the bench.
I see your points and can understand the reasoning but I like this lad and would be happy to see him sign. It's a tough pill to swallow thinking Hart could be displaced when he's given us so much. I'm desperate for him to stay and prove how good he can be. He certainly deserves the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.