Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be a bit out here, but what's with this obsession about a keeper being great with his feet, unless he can kick it away whilst it's arrowing into the top corner, I just don't care. Keepers are always going to be more accurate throwing/rolling the ball out anyway
It's not an obsession with every club. The majority probably don't worry too much about it. As it is, the manager we're about to get makes it a cornerstone of his team and the emphasis is very much on a keeper being comfortable on the ball.
It's strange how people are equating someone being good with their feet as to meaning you're not that good at everything else. Ter Stegan ticks all boxes.

Presumably those that think Hart isnt good enough want him sold regardless of whether Stegen comes or not?
Some leap there. Not sure anyone is saying Joe isn't good enough. I want him to stay, I want him to prove to Pep that there's a good reason he's our number one. What I wouldn't want is to rest on our laurels and not have a decent back up who can challange Hart week in week out.

For me if Hart gets the job, Stegen will go, and vice versa.

A lot have said that we have to have a ball playing keeper in a Guardiola team.

Wasnt really considered an issue before Stegen was linked. But if it is an issue, and it's accepted that will be one aspect Hart will never excel at tgen surely he's for the chop regardless.

For me if Hart gets the job, Stegen will go, and vice versa.

A lot have said that we have to have a ball playing keeper in a Guardiola team.

Wasnt really considered an issue before Stegen was linked. But if it is an issue, and it's accepted that will be one aspect Hart will never excel at tgen surely he's for the chop regardless.
I'm only going off watching his Barcelona and Munich teams where it's very much a major part of his tactics to have a ball playing goalkeeper.

I'm only going off watching his Barcelona and Munich teams where it's very much a major part of his tactics to have a ball playing goalkeeper.
I don't really remember Valdes at Barcelona, but Neuer was a ball playing keeper before Pep arrived at Bayern. He obviously prefers the ball out short and for the team to move the ball up the pitch together, but that's as much about the whole defence and midfielders working together as it is about the keeper, I can't see why Hart can't play a short pass quickly if he has confidence the players can deal with it and won't give it straight back to him. When people talk about Harts distribution they usually mean his kicking which isn't the best and is usually at shorter players.

nothing against you but it s doing my head in when i heard people he will come to be on the bench...??!!! what really make people to believe that he will come here to just sit on the bench?? he wil come here to push hart and compete with him not to stay on the bench
That's not what I said bud presuming that's what you meant, if not just ignore me ;)

It won't be for back-up keeper but a challenger / successor to Hart. If we do sign him, I hope Hart stays and fights for his place. I think a lot of people underestimate Hart because he does not often have to make many saves and therefore does not have to shine as much as he might in a worse team. What I would say is that City do concede goals from too high a percentage of the shots allowed and I don't know if another keeper would produce a significantly better saves to shots ratio in the same circumstances.

I also don't know if Hart's perceived distribution issues are more about him than having team mates available for the short ball.

Replacing Hart is certainly not a priority from my perspective in this window: there's far greater priorities but if it fits the budget, no harm in upping the talent level in the keeping options. Also, if Pep & Co have well founded concerns over Joe's ability to successfully start play from the back time after time, it has to be addressed because building from the back is a cornerstone of Pep's modus operandi = 15 passes etc...
Agreed on all except the bit about being a successor, Hart's only 28 (soon to be 29) so there's 5 years between them. You'd need a younger backup/successor I'd have thought.

I don't really remember Valdes at Barcelona, but Neuer was a ball playing keeper before Pep arrived at Bayern. He obviously prefers the ball out short and for the team to move the ball up the pitch together, but that's as much about the whole defence and midfielders working together as it is about the keeper, I can't see why Hart can't play a short pass quickly if he has confidence the players can deal with it and won't give it straight back to him. When people talk about Harts distribution they usually mean his kicking which isn't the best and is usually at shorter players.
Valdes was very much the first keeper I watched who's game had more emphasis on footwork than it did other parts. Luckily he played for a dominant Barcelona so wasn't tested overly on a weekly basis. Neuer has always been a sweeper keeper type but is an example of being good at most other things as well. I reckon if he wasn't already at Bayern Pep would have tried to get him or at least get a goalkeeper who can do the role.
Harts distribution problems aren't down to his long kicks. Not for me anyway. I watch him closely and there are times during every (home) game where his lack of confidence, or lack of vision have meant any chance of a quick, sharp pass has gone. Then it's plan b which is the punt to Aguero or out of play by the half way line.
He's just not comfortable looking with the ball at his feet under pressure. He looks unnatural when in possession. It's probably something he's never concerned himself with before because he hasn't needed to. He does now though. Hopefully he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.