Martin Samuel today in the mail.

If there was a hail of coins or "tiny missiles" why didn't at least one of em take the cnut out?

Boys near the corner need to improve their aim!

Astley Lad said:
Martin Samuels normally sees the bigger picture when it comes to things like this. For some reason he's taken quite a narrow view on this one.
Rooney's 2 tackles early doors were designed to stir the Man U fans up and create an atmosphere, nothing wrong with that except he should have been booked after the second challenge. He was bombarded with coins whilst taking a corner and there is no excuse for that, we moaned like fuck when Bellamy was hit by a bottle at Old Trafford, so we've got to hold our hands and say our fans were out of order. When Van Persie scored Rooney had no interest in his own fans, his only thought was to wind the City fans up (again no reason to invade the pitch or throw things) by sliding towards the East Stand. The media seems determined to ignore his actions and concentrate solely on the coin throwing incident. Man U have a number of players who are obnoxious and arrogant in their behaviour when it comes to derby matches (Evra, Rooney, Ferdinand and now Jones seems to be "up for it") and whatever anyone says, it causes trouble. What makes me laugh with these pricks is that one's a scouser, one's a cokney and one's fucking French, none of them have any allegiance to Manchester or supported Man U growing up but they act as if it's World War III.
All I ask for, as a City fan, is that incidents are dealt with consistently. I don't even care if I don't agree with the decision, as long as they apply the same rules and the same logic for each player and each club, at least then no-one can claim ignorance of the consequences. It now appears that Gareth Barry is the subject of an FA charge of using "foul and abusive" language. If that's the case and he is found guilty, then Rooney should miss half the season given the number of times he blatantly abuses match officials. Somehow I can't see that happening.

Spot On. Was thinking this exact thing when I heard about Gaz being charged. And perhaps this won't hold much weight with non-City fans, but Gareth Barry is the very picture of "get on with it" football.. he is very quiet and workmanlike for the most part. Sometimes he will be visibly upset and debate a call, but from what I can tell from my (admittedly non-expert) lipreading, rarely is he "abusive" to anyone, be it other players or officials. For him to be as angry as he was, you just know there was some real injustice going on. Shrek, on the other hand, is so abusive it's almost an absurdity at this point. Not only do you see his mouth forming every F and C word known to man on nearly every call that goes against them (not to mention the asking for other players to be carded nonsense), but oftentimes the mics at pitchside actually pick it up and it is broadcast over the air. Rooney is an offense to sportsmanship in general.

The Future's Blue said:
sjk2008 said:
The Future's Blue said:
I think the point within this statement is that 'You knew' what was going to happen. If 'You knew' then it's probably right to believe that the players also knew the situation which brings us back to the 'incitement' issue.

Throwing missiles onto the pitch needs to be addressed but if they aren't given a reason to do it, then it may just not happen.
Just a thought.

In the same way that if a player's family, chequered past and looks aren't used against someone for 90 minutes then it also may not happen.
Lost me there pal, what's a players looks etc, got to do with it?

Using Rooney as an example, he'd have heard insults all game from various angles about his Mrs, his Granny background, his looks (such as Shrek, his weetabix hair) etc, etc. If I'd have been on the receiving end of such constant abuse (regardless of whether some of it is true or not), then by fuck would I be up for celebrating infront of those same fans when it looks like my team have just snatched a last minute winner and I would feel entitled to do so, providing I don't go overboard such as sticking the v's up, giving out a wanker gesture or doing a 'Cantona'.

You mention this "I knew, you knew" thing. In the same way a player should know that celebrating in front of them would piss them off, fans should not be surprised to see a player give it back by celebrating in a "Haha, have a bit of that" kind of way when they've been given stick all game.

If you're man enough to verbally abuse a player from the stands and call them all names under the sun all game, you should be man enough to handle a knee slide right in front of you when his team have bagged a last minute winner, regardless of whether your belief of him is that he's a **** (which I am in no way denying).

If we get to Brazil and Rooney scores against a South American team and celebrates the goal in front of South American fan base a coin will be the least of his problems.

there is nothing wrong with giving abuse to a player but why do people need to launch missles at them. That is totaly wrong. I saw him celebrate near us after the 1st goal. Does'nt mean I want to go knock his head off. I couldn't give a shit where they celebrate.

It's time people grew up. If you want to launch something or injure/hurt somebody - go join the army and do it in a useful way.

On a more general point it appears to me that some of our fans are ill-suited to the mammoth battle that lies ahead between us and united in the years ahead.

The fact is that in spite of the financial meltdown that we all wish upon united, the reality is that they are going to up there, competing with us, toe-to-toe for the foreseeable.

What does that mean? It means we'll win some battles and we'll lose some. It means we'll have some magical moments like last season and some awful ones like on Sunday.

We're dining at the very top table now and with that comes a greater sense of drama, and a greater sense of loss when things go wrong.

I personally love it. I love being the swinging dicks of the jungle. Being talked about with respect. Being seen as a major powerhouse in the game.

But with that goes the sense that we're a scalp that people really want to take. The reaction of the united players on Sunday was merely a reflection of that.

People should take it as a compliment and make sure we ram it right back down their fucking throats once again come next May, rather than moaning because people love the idea of beating us.

Time to man up blues.

sjk2008 said:
The Future's Blue said:
sjk2008 said:
In the same way that if a player's family, chequered past and looks aren't used against someone for 90 minutes then it also may not happen.
Lost me there pal, what's a players looks etc, got to do with it?

Using Rooney as an example, he'd have heard insults all game from various angles about his Mrs, his Granny background, his looks (such as Shrek, his weetabix hair) etc, etc. If I'd have been on the receiving end of such constant abuse (regardless of whether some of it is true or not), then by fuck would I be up for celebrating infront of those same fans when it looks like my team have just snatched a last minute winner and I would feel entitled to do so, providing I don't go overboard such as sticking the v's up, giving out a wanker gesture or doing a 'Cantona'.

You mention this "I knew, you knew" thing. In the same way a player should know that celebrating in front of them would piss them off, fans should not be surprised to see a player give it back by celebrating in a "Haha, have a bit of that" kind of way when they've been given stick all game.

If you're man enough to verbally abuse a player from the stands and call them all names under the sun all game, you should be man enough to handle a knee slide right in front of you when his team have bagged a last minute winner, regardless of whether your belief of him is that he's a **** (which I am in no way denying).
Thanks for clarifying. I personally have no problems with stick going either way but we are not all the same and when emotions run high then there's a good chance something is going to happen, as we've seen so many times.

What I'm saying is that we actually know these things happen and they usually happen because of certain players attitude towards the crowd. Therefore, if the said player takes that away from the crowd then it would be probably right to suggest that the crowd would not do what we have seen happening.

If you know what I mean.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.