Mary D's The Townley or another?

The Castle is a lovely pub. Always a nice mix of gentrified NQ types (of which I am one) and the old school FOCs (I am rapidly approaching becoming one).
The Castle is a great mix of ages and characters. I have been going in there since the 70s. It has always been a great music pub (with the best jukebox) and a selection of boho figures and old gits (like me). It is one of those pubs which are difficult to leave. I have had some very prolonged day/night sessions in there over the years.

I've never seen anyone get served in there within 2 minutes,and that goes for the person at front of queue getting served,slow as fuck,but it is funny
I shouldn’t give my secrets away but front bar, cash only till and there are gaps at the bar all the time, never takes me more than a couple of minutes. The little corner bar by the outside doorway is always quiet ish as well.

It was rammed in the NQ on Sunday after the match. Everywhere was packed and City fans were dancing in the streets (literally). It was even busier in Ancoats and we couldn't get in anywhere there so ended up in the Crown and Kettle and then the Castle...both huge Blue pubs these days.
Crown and kettle really good blue pub last could of years like you say I really enjoy it in there

landlord at Vic is taking it season by season , he only decided he was staying this season after the Villa game, best pub near ground and only accepts cash
I thought the Vic had already closed down a few seasons ago,we've made the short walk from clayton hall tram stop a few times and its been closed before games,not tried for quite a while,we went in the Bridge before a champs league game last season and passed the vic going to the ground,it was closed.

I'm not sure that's true. A change in spending habits and a rise in supermarket booze sure, but plenty of expensive pubs and bars are thriving.

I work in the northern quarter and more often than not the pubs and bars round there are busy every evening. £6+ a pint.

The bottom end of the market might be suffering but there's plenty of people out there with money to spend.
And this is what I am talking about, those towards the upper echelons of society are getting ever increasing revenue at the extent of those that need the money.
The people in the "yuppie" bars in the HQ are not the type to frequent the local pub in working class areas which used to be the hub of the local communities.
Possibly the tram into town from the East of the city sped up the issue as it was easier to get into the city centre for a night out, and no doubt the prices of a pack of beer in ASDA, Tesco etc and the smoking ban also had an effect, but as many have a lot less disposable income, evenings in the local, the chippy tea etc are the first to go.
Another question has to be how long before the cost of living crisis effects football attendance

And this is what I am talking about, those towards the upper echelons of society are getting ever increasing revenue at the extent of those that need the money.
The people in the "yuppie" bars in the HQ are not the type to frequent the local pub in working class areas which used to be the hub of the local communities.
Possibly the tram into town from the East of the city sped up the issue as it was easier to get into the city centre for a night out, and no doubt the prices of a pack of beer in ASDA, Tesco etc and the smoking ban also had an effect, but as many have a lot less disposable income, evenings in the local, the chippy tea etc are the first to go.
Another question has to be how long before the cost of living crisis effects football attendance
I'm probably what some of the FOCs on here would call a 'yuppie' NQ type.

I also request my local Joey Holts in Stockport. Mainly as the landlady is a massive blue :).

A very valid point on football attendances. I've sacked off all the cup/european evening games this season and am only doing league games. I used to be on all the cup schemes.

Partly to save a bit of cash, partly as getting home from the match on a weekday is an absolute joke, and I only live in Stockport.

And I point blank refuse to play the club's game of paying money to leave my bag in some locker if I have to go to a game straight from work. I'd rather tell them to get fucked and watch it on telly. Some other dickhead can have my seat.

I agree broadly with your political point but there are stiil some brilliant pubs in the NQ where the beer prices are ok such as the Lower Turk's Head, the Hare and Hounds, Wheatsheaf, Millstone, the English Lounge, etc etc. There are also lots of cross-over pubs were young and old alike mix. I have always done most of my drinking in Town and the buzz in Manchester city-centre has never been better in my view. I realise it is not the same in outlying areas because these days I am living in Lancashire so I see the other side of the coin as well.

I thought the Vic had already closed down a few seasons ago,we've made the short walk from clayton hall tram stop a few times and its been closed before games,not tried for quite a while,we went in the Bridge before a champs league game last season and passed the vic going to the ground,it was closed.
Sometimes only has side door entrance

I agree broadly with your political point but there are stiil some brilliant pubs in the NQ where the beer prices are ok such as the Lower Turk's Head, the Hare and Hounds, Wheatsheaf, Millstone, the English Lounge, etc etc. There are also lots of cross-over pubs were young and old alike mix. I have always done most of my drinking in Town and the buzz in Manchester city-centre has never been better in my view. I realise it is not the same in outlying areas because these days I am living in Lancashire so I see the other side of the coin as well.
Went in Turks to watch v Wolves the other week. Holts bitter £8.20 for 2 pints. Went in Hare & Hounds just a few yards away after the game and the same Holts bitter £5.80 for two pints. How does that work?!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.