Mary D's The Townley or another?

I’m not sure what the precise definition of a Sports Bar is but a bar that shows sport doesn’t necessarily have to be “Full on Yank” does it? In fact I’m not even sure what a Yank sports bar is.
shite

Modern football fans first reaction to traditional football pub.

gaelgarciabernal.gif

That's what they said also about re entering the ground. But why not let us through the internal doors at the bottom of M1. I think after the dortmund game we had to walk into that new bar seating area to get out
Or they could just give you a waft over with the detector wand to make sure your not a terrorist. Quite simple really don't know why they have to get all Max and Paddy about it

There was also one up near The Grove called the Blue Moon when we first moved to the stadium. It didn't last very long even though in those early days it got absolutely hammered. There was also The Birch (later called Out Of The Blue) near Ashburys station which has now gone.

I know these pubs ae quiet through the rest of the week but it does puzzle me that so many have closed down as I always felt that they could make enough money on match days alone to sustain themselves through the rest of the week. Obviously that can't be the case. I think The Victoria is still open at the back of The Grove though, and I think they only open on match days?
We used to stay in the upstairs of The Birch - Out of the Blue before it closed, and there was another bar across the green from it Gorton Arms or Gorton Brook or similar that had a digger driven into it during the Keegan promotion season.

Some businesses don't like "non cash" payments as they have to go through the books whereas cash can be "undeclared".

After Out of the Blue closed we drank in the Townley but after the third time I was short changed I started going to City Square, but it's still nothing like The Beehive.

The reason pubs are closing is people can't afford to drink in them, and this has been the case for a number of years, with the cost of capitalism crises expect many more to close.

We used to stay in the upstairs of The Birch - Out of the Blue before it closed, and there was another bar across the green from it Gorton Arms or Gorton Brook or similar that had a digger driven into it during the Keegan promotion season.

Some businesses don't like "non cash" payments as they have to go through the books whereas cash can be "undeclared".

After Out of the Blue closed we drank in the Townley but after the third time I was short changed I started going to City Square, but it's still nothing like The Beehive.

The reason pubs are closing is people can't afford to drink in them, and this has been the case for a number of years, with the cost of capitalism crises expect many more to close.
I'm not sure that's true. A change in spending habits and a rise in supermarket booze sure, but plenty of expensive pubs and bars are thriving.

I work in the northern quarter and more often than not the pubs and bars round there are busy every evening. £6+ a pint.

The bottom end of the market might be suffering but there's plenty of people out there with money to spend.

I'm not sure that's true. A change in spending habits and a rise in supermarket booze sure, but plenty of expensive pubs and bars are thriving.

I work in the northern quarter and more often than not the pubs and bars round there are busy every evening. £6+ a pint.

The bottom end of the market might be suffering but there's plenty of people out there with money to spend.
It was rammed in the NQ on Sunday after the match. Everywhere was packed and City fans were dancing in the streets (literally). It was even busier in Ancoats and we couldn't get in anywhere there so ended up in the Crown and Kettle and then the Castle...both huge Blue pubs these days.

The Bridge Inn on Clayton Lane isn't open for games this season which is a shame as it was a decent pint with pre match free food laid on . Also heard the Victoria could be gone at the end of the season. The landlord supplements his takings as a taxi driver as he's only open for home games, but he's probably had enough.
landlord at Vic is taking it season by season , he only decided he was staying this season after the Villa game, best pub near ground and only accepts cash

I don’t mind Mary Ds at all, it is what it is. Rough and ready with a decent pre match atmosphere that isn’t offered anywhere else really. I don’t think the San Miguel is too bad either I’ve had worse in town. I always get served within a minute or two and it’s a 2 minute walk to the ground happy days

I've never seen anyone get served in there within 2 minutes,and that goes for the person at front of queue getting served,slow as fuck,but it is funny

It was rammed in the NQ on Sunday after the match. Everywhere was packed and City fans were dancing in the streets (literally). It was even busier in Ancoats and we couldn't get in anywhere there so ended up in the Crown and Kettle and then the Castle...both huge Blue pubs these days.
The Castle is a lovely pub. Always a nice mix of gentrified NQ types (of which I am one) and the old school FOCs (I am rapidly approaching becoming one).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.