Matchday "safety" changes

Thank Christ I don't have to suffer the bloody awful Metrolink this season, or ever again, hopefully.

I couldn't give a stuff about the car parking at the ground, as I will now be driving to the games and parking in my usual spot 15 minutes or so walk from the ground.

No more missed games and kick off's, and the walk back down to the Mitchell Arms, ruin that it is nowadays, and on to Piccadilly station with it's beggars and Pigeon shit all over the place are now over.

I will, again, be able to listen to the post match analysis on GMR with Ian Cheeseman and phone-in's from irate fans while gliding my way home in good time and in comfort.

I'm looking forward to the new season.

No more Metrolink has got to be a great reason to be optimistic on it's own.

And it is!

I've always got public transport to the ground in the past, but have got my son a season ticket this year so am planning on driving to most games. Is it worth parking in any of the official car parks at the ground, or does it takes ages to get out? On the few occasions I've driven in the past I've always parked further away (near Ashburys station) for a quick getaway but it'd be more convenient to park at the ground.

I've always got public transport to the ground in the past, but have got my son a season ticket this year so am planning on driving to most games. Is it worth parking in any of the official car parks at the ground, or does it takes ages to get out? On the few occasions I've driven in the past I've always parked further away (near Ashburys station) for a quick getaway but it'd be more convenient to park at the ground.

Any free parking it's at least 15 mins walk away coming from east and south, coming from town way you would have to park near the crusty cob behind the mitchel (my mate does) from north I have no idea, any further in it's paid parking or residential permits

So does this mean there will be no more shouts of "hold" as the stewards hold hands to form a barrier at the bottom of Mercer way?

This is all very confusing as I don't memorise gates and numbers and where they are all located. Please can someone draw a diagram with the new walk route from Mercer way to the fire station.
See the first line of the thread!

Have many injuries and deaths occurred under the old system?

None, I think, but on one occasion last season someone wanting to go to Briscoe Lane broke through the metal barriers separating the pedestrians from the stationary traffic at the Briscoe Lane lights. This is a mad "solution" - people will now be turning north at gate 2 and crossing the road randomly between there and Briscoe Lane.

Can we keep this on topic rather than yet another thread about where to park?

Last edited:

Ric. Not sure how much improvement will be made from this new initiative, but if there is none, you will soon realise why people leave early (I don't) if parked in any of the grounds car parks. It is mayhem, with cars and pedestrians in each others way.

The bottleneck IMO has always been the lights at Gate 1 where cars are stopped for what appears to be around 30 mins after the final whistle to allow pedestrians a safe passage across the road. This initiative is looking to eliminate this need and personally, I am all for it.

If, and its a big if, the pedestrians adhere to what the club are proposing, then exiting by car should be a lot quicker and a lot more stress free, particularly if gate 2 is still being allowed for vehicular exit.

I imagine this thread to be a lot more lively come Sat night, as I'm not sure what is being proposed is going to be fully bought into by everyone. Hope I'm wrong

Ric. After many years of trying different combination e.g. Public transport, parking away from the ground and parking at the ground. The best and least stressful way is park in Blue car park G, stay until the final whistle, watch the highlights on the big screen in the stadium and stroll back to the car; listen to GMR phone-in for 15 minutes by which time most of the traffic has cleared. It is then a relatively easy journey home. You will catch the tail end of the early leavers just as traffic disperses at pinch points away from the ground.
Do not use blue car park H its a good 45 mins before they let you go.
The new system will be good if you are going North, idiots will still try and walk with the cars out of gate 1 shouting at drivers etc.

Going to be chaos on Saturday on the road between the gates and at Brisco lights.

We need a bridge not loads of mainly Showsec wankers trying to control us.

shame i'll miss it all ;) just sit in city square watch highlights and Nat get excited then stroll to car
PS what they need is signs saying this is not best way to Manchester to stop the amount of people wandering round lost

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.