Matchday "safety" changes

The bottleneck IMO has always been the lights at Gate 1 where cars are stopped for what appears to be around 30 mins after the final whistle to allow pedestrians a safe passage across the road. This initiative is looking to eliminate this need and personally, I am all for it.

It's nothing like 30 minutes. Even if there are two people in every car, there will still be more pedestrians than people in cars wanting to use gate 1. Why give priority to those in cars? And if those pedestrians are going to car parks on Briscoe Lane and Bradford Road, they may now leave early because by the time they get to their cars, those let out from the stadium car parks will have gummed up the roads. Maybe it is a cunning plan to get more people paying to park at the ground. And so much for encouraging people onto public transport.

It's nothing like 30 minutes. Even if there are two people in every car, there will still be more pedestrians than people in cars wanting to use gate 1. Why give priority to those in cars? And if those pedestrians are going to car parks on Briscoe Lane and Bradford Road, they may now leave early because by the time they get to their cars, those let out from the stadium car parks will have gummed up the roads. Maybe it is a cunning plan to get more people paying to park at the ground. And so much for encouraging people onto public transport.
For me its quite simple. If they dont have to turn the lights off at gate 1 then the traffic can flow. I don,t know exactly how long those lights are off for, but it wont be far off thirty minutes from final whistle. If the pedestrians are willing to cross the road at gate 2, this will eliminate a lot of the congestion issues at the end of each match. Great move by the club, but simply dont see pedestrians wanting to adhere

If that plan is right the lights at gate 2 will have to be turned off while pedestrians cross to the east side of Alan Turing Way - but how many want to be on the west side? - will they have to take their chances getting back across the road? And if gate 1 isn't even open before the game, where will all those walking from Briscoe Lane be crossing Alan Turing Way? If knocking over a barrier is the excuse for changing this, anyone can knock over a barrier. And if the second amendment people take an interest, who knows?

If that plan is right the lights at gate 2 will have to be turned off while pedestrians cross to the east side of Alan Turing Way - but how many want to be on the west side? - will they have to take their chances getting back across the road? And if gate 1 isn't even open before the game, where will all those walking from Briscoe Lane be crossing Alan Turing Way? If knocking over a barrier is the excuse for changing this, anyone can knock over a barrier. And if the second amendment people take an interest, who knows?

This will only work if the pedestrians adhere to what has been proposed

I've always got public transport to the ground in the past, but have got my son a season ticket this year so am planning on driving to most games. Is it worth parking in any of the official car parks at the ground, or does it takes ages to get out? On the few occasions I've driven in the past I've always parked further away (near Ashburys station) for a quick getaway but it'd be more convenient to park at the ground.

Try near Seamark, bud. Pottery Lane, think it's called?

The scallies will try it on and try and charge you a fiver a car on the Queen's highway but just drive past them, just trying it on with their fluorescent jackets.

It's then a breeze when leaving, turning out onto Ashton New Road (you can also use the extra bus lane over the weekend and at night after 7pm) back to the Mancunian flyover and back home within half an hour ;)

I've always got public transport to the ground in the past, but have got my son a season ticket this year so am planning on driving to most games. Is it worth parking in any of the official car parks at the ground, or does it takes ages to get out? On the few occasions I've driven in the past I've always parked further away (near Ashburys station) for a quick getaway but it'd be more convenient to park at the ground.

Rondin Road, just off Ashton Old Road, it's about a 10 minute walk but you're straight out after the game and always spaces.

I'm actually unsure how this is going to improve safety after the match. Surely all its doing is moving the problem of people getting across a couple of hundred yards down the road? At the moment you walk down JMW and there are about a dozen stewards who alternately stop people / traffic to ensure that it is safe for both parties. I'm assuming that they wont be there and now and they are relying on people crossing the road at the traffic lights at the bottom? That isn't going to happen as those walking will naturally start to diagonally cross over as they are walking down towards the lights. The issue now is that drivers who come out of the car parks will be accelerating to get through the lights while they are on green. Is it just being done to avoid paying those dozen or stewards to stand there for half an hour extra after the match?

Try near Seamark, bud. Pottery Lane, think it's called?

The scallies will try it on and try and charge you a fiver a car on the Queen's highway but just drive past them, just trying it on with their fluorescent jackets.

It's then a breeze when leaving, turning out onto Ashton New Road (you can also use the extra bus lane over the weekend and at night after 7pm) back to the Mancunian flyover and back home within half an hour ;)
Rondin Road, just off Ashton Old Road, it's about a 10 minute walk but you're straight out after the game and always spaces.

Cheers for the tips!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.