Media coverage 2018/19

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Ric, 2 Nov 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

Absolutely. Under the new rules it would be disallowed. They haven't come in yet.

2. Metalartin

Metalartin

It's not new, it's just spelling out how refs have always interpreted it. The current rules were not made with VAR in mind.

3. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

I would think that Pep had the same view of VAR as we had - that it would be used sensibly, transparently and not be a vehicle for manipulating an outcome. From what I have seen so far in WCs, CLs etc, it clearly is causing more problems than it is solving, and the cynic in me doesn't swallow the shite about 'honest mistakes'! Teams have been screwed over, others benefitted, and I suspect that arrangement will continue until Liverpool win a PL title!

4. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

As I understand it, the new rules were in force last season in the CL from the quarter final stage, even though they were not be common currency until this month. So Llorente should not have been able to score off his arm, elbow, or whatever was sticking out of his shoulder!

karen7 and spiny like this.
  5. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

It's a fair point certainly. The Nations Cup last week had a penalty decision cancelled to give a penalty at the other end from beforehand - in that instance, the ball went the length of the field, so how far they can (and will) go back is anybody's guess.

Interestingly, the 'clear and obvious' mantra isn't the whole story in VAR protocol. It's to assist in circumstances of

‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:
    a. Goal/no goal
    b. Penalty/no penalty
    c. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)
    d. Mistaken identity

Madly, in that match last week, if the penalty had been given for handball on the goalline (and a red card), the defender would still have been sent off (as far as I can tell)

6. Metalartin

Metalartin

I still think VAR will get there eventually. I just hope it's not always City getting the short end of a the stick as they figure it out.

7. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

As I said to someone earlier, some of it is opinion.
    Our opinions here differ on this.

8. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

My understanding is that it was for defensive handball (Rose vs City, Otamendi vs Schalke, the Utd/PSG match). but not for attacking handball.

The only reference I've seen is something Rossetti said before the new laws were finalised, and make no mention of attacking handball. If there is anything about it, I've not seen it. I think the new laws on "not scoring off an arm" are new additions.

What I'm expecting is much kicking the ball at arms and screaming at the ref. I think that's what Mane did in the CL final, because that's how it's now reffed.

(and, er, I've helped to drag the media thread into VAR thread. oops).

9. spanishblue

spanishblue

It will never get there. As I posted in VAR thread I was talking to a top referee last week and the feeling amongst refs was they are shiting it they haven't a clue

10. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Media Coverage is the new VAR thread.

Chic... or should I say, Sheikh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.