Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

The main strengths Sterling brings will always be appreciated more by a coach than it will the general public as the latter only really focus on what players do on the ball (and even then only really in key moments).

The game against Tunisia, all of the good play in the first thirty minutes and the space that Lingard found was due to Sterling and Kane creating that space - Sterling dropping deep and Kane wide was moving the defence at will.

The second half (and Holland and Southgate both referenced this too), Tunisia’s Manager had clearly told his defence to keep their position. That coupled with Alli no longer moving well led to Sterling receiving the ball with no support around him at all. Really, what Southgate should have done is get more width on and either changed Sterling sooner or moved his position to wide right (he’s fully bought in to the system so more likely it would have been the former).

The fan perception will be that it was a performance issue as Sterling was the last one to get the ball and so subsequently losing it. It wasn’t, the root cause of that was a tactical issue that, against better teams, Southgate has to change far earlier than he did - we essentially got away with it. Rashford had the exact same problem and actually ran in to dead ends of his own accord far more. What brought more control was having an able runner on the pitch again against Loftus Cheek.

The upshot of all of that is I’d still be amazed if Sterling doesn’t start against Panama and even if he doesn’t, I’m sure he will when we face stronger opposition.

It’s a lack of understanding in the public that’s played up to by sections of the media. As long as Sterling can ignore that (and he does seem to be far more thick skinned than most) and keep his performance level as it is, then I’m sure the coaching staff realise how important he is to this team and he will remain a pivotal part.

Even if all that was true, which in all fairness I think a good chunk of it is, it is yet another example of Raheem can do no wrong Sterling amongst us. Claiming Rashford ran into dead ends more is a bit wild too. His touch, control, passing and shooting was all off. Who can we blame for that?

If Sterling gets in them positions he is praised for his movement and rightly so, Lingard works well to get into good positions and all of a sudden that is easy to do and all down to Sterlings runs off the balls. By all means people can defend the lad it is just the constant movement of the goalposts that then becomes the frustration.

Upgrade absolutely, but like I say they aren't absolute idiots he is playing around. The comparison to Salah is he has gone from a top 4 club team mates to very very average footballers. Like I said though a lot of Salahs good play is made from himself so out of the two it shouldn't effect him as much as Sterling who may rely on others more.
The attention seeker strikes again. :-)

By all means people can defend the lad it is just the constant movement of the goalposts that then becomes the frustration.

Not even the staunchest of those defending Raz would claim this is the reason he misses chances from time to time!

This thread is about how Sterling is treated in the media not a discussion about his playing style there is a thread in the platyers forum to do that so we can we keep this thread on track

Even if all that was true, which in all fairness I think a good chunk of it is, it is yet another example of Raheem can do no wrong Sterling amongst us. Claiming Rashford ran into dead ends more is a bit wild too. His touch, control, passing and shooting was all off. Who can we blame for that?

If Sterling gets in them positions he is praised for his movement and rightly so, Lingard works well to get into good positions and all of a sudden that is easy to do and all down to Sterlings runs off the balls. By all means people can defend the lad it is just the constant movement of the goalposts that then becomes the frustration.

Sorry, I didn’t mean that as a denigration of what Lingard did. It needs everyone to do their job to work was more the point - they all played well in the first thirty minutes.

Also my point with the second half was I would have brought Sterling off sooner - he isn’t always the right answer and for that situation, I would have made the change sooner. The point with Rashford is I think it was the right sub, but get him into positions where he can get on the end of the chance, not try and create it himself.

I agree that people go to extremes and are just as guilty of denigrating other teams players as much as they do Sterling.

you must have missed the name of this thread it is not the Rashford or Lingard appreciation thread but in the case of Rashford the striker he has 1 goal 2 assists in his 11 competitive England games Sterling the Winger has 2 goals 7 assists in his 22 competitive England games we all know Sterling is not perfect but in the position he plays he is England best by a long long way, and Rashford does run down blind alleys he has a reputation for it that goes back to his youth team, someone has called you a clown i think they have you nailed

you must have missed the name of this thread it is not the Rashford or Lingard appreciation thread but in the case of Rashford the striker he has 1 goal 2 assists in his 11 competitive England games Sterling the Winger has 2 goals 7 assists in his 22 competitive England games we all know Sterling is not perfect but in the position he plays he is England best by a long long way, and Rashford does run down blind alleys he has a reputation for it that goes back to his youth team, someone has called you a clown i think they have you nailed
Clowns are funny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.