Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
How?

No way on earth should broadcasters have a direct line to VAR.
Bad enough if (?) VAR are getting in-game commentary.
They should be watching the game and getting no input other than from the match officials.
We already know that the broadcasters have a direct link with Stockley Park so what’s not to say it doesn’t work both ways. Match Commander with Sky in one ear, PGMOL in the other.

This is something I thought about on Saturday.

I was watching the NBCSN coverage. They showed the reply of the Jesus incident a few times and wondered why it didn't go to VAR. Lee Dixon said he asked Darren England in VAR the question and he just said "No."

He sounded pissed off that's all he was given.

Completely unaccountable. They don't have to justify their decision to anyone.

It's as if they've gone out of their way to say 'it bent, and their is f*ck all you can do about it' without actually saying it.

Lee Dixon asked the VAR official? Why? When?

How?

No way on earth should broadcasters have a direct line to VAR.
Bad enough if (?) VAR are getting in-game commentary.
They should be watching the game and getting no input other than from the match officials.

Can't be right - can it?

This is a misunderstanding. The broadcasters can hear the conversation between referee and VAR, they can't speak to them.

Someone's gotten confused in how Dixon has phrased it, thinking Dixon means he, Lee Dixon, asked instead of he, the VAR asked.

Or he's talking about the broadcasters sending queries to Stockley Park after the fact to clear up decisions. They can ask them what the reasoning was, if an incident was looked at etc. Which is how we get situations like the one where Stockley Park admitted it was a mistake for Coote to not send off Lo Celso in a match last season before the match ended.

This is a misunderstanding. The broadcasters can hear the conversation between referee and VAR, they can't speak to them.

Someone's gotten confused in how Dixon has phrased it, thinking Dixon means he, Lee Dixon, asked instead of he, the VAR asked.
I'm happy to be corrected if we can get the footage up and I'm wrong

Some blood pressures on here might be soothed by reading the BBC article in full, where it gives several paragraphs over to quotes from Jason Wilcox, including the bit where the kid was offered 9 trials.
The problem is that the great unwashed hordes will only read the headline and draw up an assumption based on that.
Whilst the headline is not incorrect it could and should have been phrased differently but we live in the age of clicks.

As someone with a nephew who’s been at City, Everton, Utd and Liverpool, I have a bit of knowledge on what it’s like and how it compares.

City are the best in ensuring you’re not hung out to dry if you get dropped but due to the sheer size of the academy at City, he didn’t enjoy it as the groups were huge.

he chose Everton in the end as the groups were much smaller and he stayed with one coach who were great.

But City offered more support out of the four.
I had two nephews (twins) who spent years at a former Premier Clubs Academy also time at Forest when SWP was there.
They were never left in doubt about the sacrifices required or the odds in making it as a pro.
This was in the 90s and I’m sure Academies are even better now.

The culture of youth football recruitment is akin to modern slavery with the promise of a lifetime of riches if your the 1% if you succeed. City aren't directly to blame but definitely are part of this culture. More needs to be done by clubs to look after these kids long into their 20s or even later as they mostly come from poor backgrounds and will have focused on footy more than school/friends.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen written on here for a while.

They get sent to a top class independent school so that they have a decent education to fall back on if football doesn't pan out, at a cost of £24,000 per year - £164,000 worth of education if they go through to 18.

Crucially that education is guaranteed through to 18 even if you're released.

They get insane wages. Liverpool capped theirs at £40k a year for under 17's, and they lost out on players because of it. Ours and most of the top 6 are higher.

And the clubs do try to find a landing spot in football for them. As Jeremy Wisten's father said, they bundle up all the footage, make highlight reels and send it off to clubs to try and get takers, leading to nine different trials.

They also have access to psychiatrists throughout their time at the club, and the best medical care you can get to cover injuries and surgeries to try and get them back on the pitch.

Modern Slavery? Please.

Or he's talking about the broadcasters sending queries to Stockley Park after the fact to clear up decisions. They can ask them what the reasoning was, if an incident was looked at etc. Which is how we get situations like the one where Stockley Park admitted it was a mistake for Coote to not send off Lo Celso in a match last season before the match ended.
I think the presenters get access to some of the comm's but there is definitely 2-way comm's between the broadcaster and the VAR Match Commander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.